Universal 80 Days (by inkle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. pendell

pendell Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    I was able to send Mr. Fogg to the moon, but
    they threw me out of the ship

I have updated my FAQ with details of that adventure and many others, though as I mentioned it is not fully comprehensive.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/iphone/824440-80-days-2014/faqs/71567

Regrettably, I never put in most of the changes Vadex recommended last time -- I appreciate his work, but I do have limitations.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Thank you. I found your guide most useful last time out.

Aand somebody managed to stay the night in Machu Picchu, according to the Steam achievements - will this person please stand up, lol. :)

3. Joeschmoe

Joeschmoe Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I had the same moon experience as you pendell. It was interesting. My next question is how anybody manages to get the achievement for never staying in a hotel. Every time I try fogg gets so pissed at me that I can't heal him during journeys and I get to a point where he can't travel.

4. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #304 Atticus, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Black Rose - Details

I have some information about the seemingly inexplicably random occurence of the Black Rose adventure's events.

First of all, I'd list the 'chapters' of this quest, just for the sake of clarity:

- Man losing Cigarette Case
    - Encountering porter with newspaper clipping about the Black Rose
    * Black Rose seen leaving Passepartout's room
    * Black Rose dropping the Cigarette Case into Passepartout's bag
    * Black Rose stealing a trade good/leaving a trade good/leaving money/leaving encouraging letter at Passepartout
    * Black Rose showing herself & laying out her plans
    * Passepartout seeing the Black Rose even when she isn't there
    - Black Rose bumping into Passepartout on the street, leaving a note
    - Black Rose appearing during the journey before Buenos Aires
    - Black Rose accompanying Fogg & Passepartout at the Artificer HQ
    - The El Dorado trip
    - Ending plus optional ending trip

(I did not include Rose joining the journey on the Nice-Tunis route, her appearance in Tunis and on the Tunis-Beirut/Luxor route as it's all optional, potentially helping in acquiring the 'leaving Fogg' ending. The other parts always happen as long as the Black Rose is actually 'in the game,' which is from the 3RD PLAYTHROUGH ON post-update.)

Let's see the straightforward parts first: the first contact and meeting the porter ALWAYS occurs on the London-Paris route for me. Furthermore, the Rose may always leave her final note in the city from which you can reach Buenos Aires - that is, Santiago, Asuncion or Rio. She also always seem to appear on the journey into Buenos Aires from one of the above three cities - and it gets really straightforward from there.

It's the middle
    four or five
    meetings that seem to be random - but also crucial in actually getting on with the quest so it should be good to know how their mechanism works.

The most important thing is that the timing of those events appear to be based on nights (not cities, as is exclusively the case for all the other adventures, and not even on the number of routes you did up to a point).

- To see Rose leaving your room, stay at least 2 nights in any given city.
    - To get the Cigarette Case, MOVE from the city in which you've caught a glimpse of the Rose (this is very important) AND then stay at least 4 nights in (one of) the next towns, it doesn't actually matter where. If you stay in the same city after you got a story piece, you can spend a zillion more nights there, the adventure still won't progress.
    - To get the next bits, move and then stay 4 nights again each time.
    - The game seem to randomize the number of story pieces occuring between seeing Rose leaving your room and revealing herself and her plans to you - it may be between 1 and 3. So you might get just one stealing a good/leaving a good/leaving a letter event or two or three before she actually shows herself AND this is actually random not by playthrough but by seed.
    - To get the 'false alarm' story bit, it once again seems to take just 2 nights in a city.

Not tested yet, but it may also well be that the nights are not only counted in cities, but also on routes (so e. g. if you're on a route which takes at least 4 days, you get a story bit on the 4th night). This is actually very likely as it happened multiple times for me that the story actually progressed during travel and not during a stay in a city.

EDIT:

Corrections: routes seem to work differently, I still get the episodes seemingly randomly on them. The "Black Rose seen leaving Passepartout's room" bit seems to have a minimum time trigger - if you haven't managed to trigger it early on, you can spend a whole lot of nights anywhere, it doesn't seem to come up anymore (perhaps that's when you soon meet Rose later on where she tells you wherehaveyoubeen). Also there's still another element to the triggers concerning staying x nights in a city - it's not always 2/4/4/4/2 for the story bits.

5. Sinnareti

Sinnareti New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    #305 Sinnareti, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    About the Black Rose:
    You don't have to stay more than one overnight in each city to activate The Black Rose's story route, I think. Mine kept getting a visit from her each time I stay overnight in one city and the night doesn't have specific events, just one regular night with options to either attend to Monsier Fogg or walk the streets. Also, if you choose to walk the streets rather than any other options that will make you stay in the hotel, you'll miss the Rose's visit. And if you want to continue her storyline, you shouldn't take an unconventional mean of travel. I missed her completely when I traveled to Rub' Al Khali and got teleported to Bhavi, for example. Seems like there's a limit to how far she can follow you.

About Vienna, Belgrade and Bucharest:
    You don't have to visit Belgrade to help the rebels there. You can learn about the Mozart-Haydn Device from Herr Danzer, board the Orient Express to Bucharest, aid the dying man and deliver the device to Steinberg at the Artificer's Guild. There'll be an option to tell her about Herr Danzer, to which she implies that she'll seek him out later. I'm not sure if doing this will get you the achievement but it's a much better option than traveling to Belgrade in my opinion: you're not only aiding the rebels but also siding Danzer with the Guild, winning Steinberg's approval and getting an unaffected Preparation of Paraffin as the result.

On an unrelated note: you can mention about the Mozart-Haydn Device to Al-Talib at Rub' Al Khali, though it doesn't seem to change anything.

About Istanbul:
    How Passepartout's night in Istanbul turns out, I think, depends on his 'manner' (not 'personality'); I find that if his manner is 'conservative,' then he won't drink too much and his night will pass by peacefully. Other manners such as 'flamboyant' or 'passionate' (not sure about 'collected') and he always ends up in the harem and has to hightail out of there.

Now, I still can't figure out
    how to deliver the Aboriginal girl's message and save the mariner's life in Brisbane. Having the Batavia Drill Plan, or the Rebel Flag, or the Zouave Braid doesn't seem to help, but what about the Marxist Manifesto given to you by the Russian Rebel, has anyone tried that yet?

6. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    You indeed use the 'mystery device' and can catch the Kahwoka Othunwe flying out on an airship from Regina as well.

7. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #307 Atticus, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Some help and idea (respectively) about the Machu Picchu & Niagara Falls adventures:

For Machu Picchu, this line in an update announcement from inkle went by under the radar for me:

"cut your journey in half by finding the secret Peruvian underground system to Machu Picchu"

(Source: http://steamcommunity.com/games/381780/announcements/detail/46517839116364281)

I think this is actually supposed to be some kind of help in a sense that we now know what to look out for (I, for one, was sure I had to find a way for the gyrocopter pilot/photographer to put me down there for a night before; not anymore). There seems to be literature about the system on the web as well which might also help in finding possible "entry" cities.

For the Niagara Falls:

I was kind of preoccupied with finding the adventure in Toronto (as it's the closest city to the Falls physically), but I went around North America the last night and figured what if we're supposed to search Chicago instead? There's a moment there when you discuss boats and going over the Lake with someone on the shore. Also, Passepartout thinks across the Lake would be "half-way to London" when the Winnipeg-Chicago train passes by the inaccessible Duluth (only for Fogg to say it's impossible due to "ice"). There isn't a route though, still one might unlock one somehow. After all, going over the Niagara Falls from Toronto would be moving backwards whereas going over from the other direction would move Fogg and his valet onwards in the direction of London...

8. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Just a little something I have to add on the Black Rose quest.
    If you start the quest (by investigating the "theft" on the train from London to Paris) and agree to help Black Rose, you will eventually get to the point when she tells you about how she wouldn't be in touch for some time but will find a way to get a message through. Afterwards if you check the newspaper during your journeys, there will be an article about how she got caught on an airship from Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires. This unlocks said airship route, which is otherwise unavailable in other journeys.

I agree that Chicago and Duluth are the most likely place for a ride over the Falls. Maybe we have to bring a specific item that allows travel on ice? Maybe we have to do something similar to unveil the secret in Machu Picchu.

Oh, and an updated route map has been uploaded to Steam guides. Check it out.

9. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Further on the Machu Picchu quest: I've read a lot about the real world tunnel system openings that are scattered across South America (Lima, Cuzco, Rio, etc.), but since the tag line specifically says 'cut your journey in half by finding' the entry I suspect the in-game underground system either opens in or around Africa, the Middle East or something like that (to actually have a trip that's half the world), or ends around London, Lisbon, etc. to have the same effect (in which case it might just open in one of the South American cities in the game as well).

I scouted Africa (bar Cairo, Alexandria, Antananarivo and Bloemfontein so far), staying multiple nights in a lot of places, but nothing so far.

The mystery of the 'worth x in Saint-Denis' trade goods might also be key - Saint-Denis could also hold the opening, if only one could enter.

10. jt362

jt362 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    #310 jt362, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Niagara Falls

Anyone know the Niagara Falls quest? I went to Toronto, but found nothing there

EDIT: Oh forget what I said. Didn't check the comments above. For the map, you are missing the Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro route. Only unlocked when you fail to enter the upper part of Buenos Aires.

And also, anyone know how to file a story into the Times?

11. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Help a man struggling with his luggage on the Orient Express, follow him into the dinner car and talk. Later on, explore Cairo and keep going down along the Nile - first to Aswan, then to Wadi Halfa. (Exploring your options should be enough to follow on with the adventure from here on in. I don't want to spoil it more for you. :))

In other news, just to report, no progress on the Niagara/Machu Picchu cases.

Haven't got a clue about Machu Picchu but my latest idea about the Niagara is keeping Sophos' timetable with me to see if it opens up some conversation options somewhere in Chicago, or on the Winnipeg-Chicago route. Having the building movers in Chicago help me 'move' on the Great Lakes is another thing that may be forced. Dunno, tbh.

12. brit457

brit457 New Member

Oct 25, 2014
    #312 brit457, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Brisbane

The
    manifesto
    doesn't open up any extra dialog options in Brisbane either. If you can think of anything else to try, I'll definitely give it a shot!

13. jt362

jt362 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    ???

Thanks, Atticus. Oh, and for the Niagara Falls quest, I think there should be a way to convince Fogg to disembark at Duluth. Not sure for now. :confused:

14. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    Good idea.

15. jt362

jt362 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    #315 jt362, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Machu Picchu

URGENT

Not sure if this may be true, but some anonymous user on the 80 Days Wikia claimed he has the quest to Machu Picchu. This is what s/he wrote:
    1. Go to Alexandria and find the projector lady.
    2. Follow her to Luxor where she'll be kidnapped.
    3. Once you find her suitcase, KEEP the projector parts.
    4. Go to Pitcairn Island.
    5. Use the projector in a cave on the island.

Never tried it, yet.
    http://80days.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:2968

16. Sinnareti

Sinnareti New Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Thanks, brit457. So it didn't work. Another idea: maybe it isn't about having a right item at all but about doing a prerequisite quest beforehand? This is killing me lol! Another item in the list would be
    the revolutionary pamphlet you get at Moscow
    but I highly doubt it'd change anything.

I heard about
    using the history device at Pitcairn Island
    before but I have no idea it's related to
    Machu Picchu secret route.
    A good find!

17. VadeX

VadeX Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Both are verified and the map on Steam guides is updated accordingly. Too bad that the Machu Picchu secret route has little substance to it. I was kinda looking forward to it since it was featured by the developers.

18. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    #318 Atticus, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Especially as there is a route from Duluth BACK to Winnipeg (it's a two-way route as far as the game draws it up on the planet) which is highly suspicious - although doesn't get us anywhere closer to an entrance.

I've done a trip doing the Bullet Train adventure on the Transsiberian to get the 'know-how' of travelling on a train that flies above tracks and lakes among others - in case it proves helpful in finding a trip through the Great Lakes - but to no avail. It makes no difference.

Passepartout asks M Fogg looking out over the Lake: 'Can we not sail?' To which Fogg shakes his head and says 'Ice.' So we can surmise we have to find something that either goes over ice or can avoid it if encountered on a boat trip across the Lake... I'm thinking of the Engineer set (useful for 'mechanically unstable' journeys) perhaps.

EDIT: Ooor, isn't Gastown a possible destination from the North Pole!? After you've done the Polar Expedition adventure!? I think it is and there's hardly a better thing to prepare you for encountering 'ice' on your way across the Great Lakes than successfully getting up to (near) the North Pole on the Icewalker. That may be worth checking out.

EDIT 2: No, it makes no difference either, visiting the North Pole beforehand. The dialogue around Duluth on the train is the same as before.

19. Atticus

Sep 6, 2015
    And having the Engineer set with you (while still finding the secret of the Transsiberian) makes no difference either...

...That is going in from the direction of Winnipeg, one still have to try going in from Chicago.

20. jt362

jt362 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I think there must be a previous quest to unlock Niagara Falls, not just items.