iPad 8 Bit Space (Platformer)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by GFG, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    I'm a big fan of 8-bit home computers like the ZX Spectrum and Comomador 64 so I decided to make a game inspired by some of my favourite games from my childhood.

Gameplay-wise It's a level-based platformer with an enthesis on exploration.

To give it the right feel I decided to use the ZX spectrums colour palette.

The game is mostly finished I just need to add sound effects and a bit more overall polish.

mbgb0xz2kj00.png 5jle3d7nv47t.png

Clip-1.gif

Attached Files:

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Life the look of this a lot !. I’m a huge spectrum fan so loving the graphics.

Can’t wait to buy this

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Same here. Started to gaming on ZX Spectrum so I have only the warmest memories for this platform. You nailed the feel of the era, especially color-wise. To this day I remember ZX Spectrum couldn’t display a single color for each pixel, so there was a rule of 2 colors for 8x8 pixels which often resulted in flickering during animations, specifically when colliding with background graphics. But I digressed. Good luck with final touches on your game. Keep us in the loop, will you?

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i love all this old school games, remember me when i was a teen playing on early consoles/computers available on the market...

but... iPad only?!?! why???

5. Will it be out in 2019 or 2020?

6. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Thanks, @psj3809 :)

@macplash Yeah ZX Spectrum games had such a unique look, I think the limitations of the system really helped spark developers creativity.

@Gwarmaxx iPad only, for now, unfortunately, due to how I developed the game its best suited to the iPads screens aspect ratio. I do plan on releasing it on PC and maybe Fire TV in the future though.

@Makara Nou I don't have a release date set in stone but probably next month as long as I don't run into any major bugs.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ahhh iPad only. Didn’t notice that before. Gutted. Quite rare to have iPad only games !!

8. Take your time. Make it as polished as possible :)

9. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    @psj3809 Yeah iPad only for now, unfortunately, hopefully in the future I may get a version out for mobile.
    Cheers @Makara Nou I will try my best :)

Makara Nou likes this.
  10. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014

I'm a bit behind schedule but just a few more bugs to iron out, then it should be ready for release.

11. Hilda LLL

Hilda LLL Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Female
    I'm obsessed with it!

12. MattCoding

MattCoding Active Member

May 17, 2018
    iPad only is going to hurt a lot! I have only ever seen 5-15% installs on iPad.

You could always put the controls either side of the screen to keep the aspect ratio the same on iPhone and iPad.

Just a thought, good luck with the release.

13. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    @Hilda LLL Glad you like the look of it :)

@MattCoding Yeah I agree, going iPad only was not the best way to go.
    Unfortunately with the game engine I'm using, changing the GUI Layer to a different aspect ratio to the rest of the screen is not possible but if the game does well, I'm thinking of porting it to another game engine, then I could use the technique you mentioned above and release it on more devices. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Makara Nou likes this.