iPad 8 Bit Rally - Retro Racing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Górecki

Górecki Active Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Now that's more like it. Much, much more comfortable and it feels a bit crisper, less woolly. If I were to be picky, I'd say that the buttons could be a bit chunkier, especially the accelerator which is currently slightly too low to be in a completely natural position. It's original position was just right.

Maybe change the d-pad to just left/right buttons, shift the brake button up a bit (does anybody ever use it anyway?) and make the go-faster button bigger. Perfect.

But like I said that's being picky. Excellent game.

2. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

The button graphics might be small, but the touch region is massive. You should be able to push down a bit higher then the displayed accelerator button & it should still work.

For those interested, currently working on ipad support for the next update.

3. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    thanks for the touch control.just bought the game and it works fine.

4. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Update looks great. I like the new controls, but I won't be using them. The tilt controls are perfect as is. At least all the "I need a d-pad control" whiners will finally stop crying.

@photon (or anyone else): is there a way to gain more money to ramp up the cars? I keep competing in the tournaments and I always manage to finish 9th or 10th. It's just not enough money to do anything substantial to the car. I play a good deal - do I just suck at the game? I'm currently on the Moracco track.

Any plans for a multiplayer version? Even just bluetooth head to head version to hold us over...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nice update! The graphics are noticeably sharper for me, thanks for that :)

I tried out the d-pad considering all the fuss that was made. It works about as well as any touchscreen virtual controls do... while also uglifying the screen slightly, but I guess that comes with the territory. They do have one big disadvantage compared to tilt controls in that steering is now completely digital. You either turn 100% or you don't turn at all, whereas the tilt had a soft steer and then a hard steer, so it remains the better option overall.

6. Górecki

Górecki Active Member

Dec 19, 2010
    #86 Górecki, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    Well, whatever works for you, but I'm finding my times much improved with the touch steering. If you want to 'soft steer' then simply tap the turn button rhythmically. The faster the tap, the 'harder' the turn, it's how arcade racers have always worked. Also, don't forget that the most effective ways to moderate a turn is with the throttle. Lift off to cut in, floor it to drift out and tap it as above to hold position on a tight turn.

Plus I can now play the game in bed and on the bus.

You're quite right, thanks for that.

7. Chaz42

Chaz42 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Michigan!
    Awwh mannnnn

Now im going to have to get this.. every time i see this i want it more and more! i cant wait!!!

8. barryweiser

Mar 24, 2011
    You WON'T be disappointed.

9. r3n4ud

r3n4ud New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Wow, just wow. Amazing game is all I have to say! Keep up the great work with future updates.

10. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Thanks man!

Made some really good progress this weekend with the next update (universal) so will probably submit that in next 2-3 days

11. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    You are right,I stopped crying and I'm happy now!

12. barryweiser

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm still playing this game religiously, as it has found a permanent spot on my app screen (not in a folder). I might try to start a new racing slot, since I am just not making enough money to supe up my car quick enough.

Is there a way to re-race previously raced courses? I know you can retry that particular one you are on, but no way to go back to earlier races to re-place?

Not sure what I'm asking here, but it seems like the campaign mode should be a little bit more flexible and have it a bit easier to accumulate money for your car...

Any thoughts?

13. Chaz42

Chaz42 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Michigan!
    Woot I cant wait! This game is great!!!

14. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

I know what you mean. If you have a few bad placings you can quickly get behind in upgrades. Which then leads to worse placings and it gets out of control & requires you to restart a championship.

A few of the testers commented on it, but they often found that they did get better at the game & did a lot better when just starting again from scratch.
    It is a tough game, and i would recommend trying the easy modes first or starting again.

I have been considering adding some sort of 'money bonus' for players falling too far behind.

15. Ruby Murray

Ruby Murray Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    New York
    Just saw the trailer for this; looks great. Reminds me (for some reason) of Chase HQ on the Amstrad CPC 464. That was one of the better arcade conversions on the machine and the sense of speed was great. Think I may give this a go.

16. barryweiser

Mar 24, 2011
    I HIGHLY doubt you will be disappointed.

17. -ozh-

-ozh- Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    awesome game, on of my favorites right now

18. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    148apps.com review!
    Pretty good review, I'm glad they mentioned "there is a great sense of speed" :D

19. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Sweet. Cheers for spotting that!

Btw, just submitted v1.2 of 8 Bit Rally 2 days ago. Has universal support added in.
    Next update that follows should have Game Center support.

20. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    What about noob mode with reduced penalty for collisions? :D