iPad 8 Bit Rally - Retro Racing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

The AI isn't really a complex system, so they can be a bit dumb sometimes.
    I do want to clean it up a bit, mainly to make the left & right 'bouncing' less noticable. Sometimes it does get in sync with other AI cars & looks a bit silly.

The game on iPad in 2x mode actually reflects the lower resolution of those old school games quite well. The update i want to do will try & mimic that 2x effect to give it a real retro feel on iPad.

2. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    this machine is called ipod touch,not ipod tilt.
    why do the game sellers want to miss out costumers?there should be tilt and touch options in every game. the ipad is simply to heavy, to play tilt cames for more than twenty minutes.

3. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Grats, i think you've found the thinnest argument ever but suit yourself, it's definitely your loss in this case because you're missing a real gem by being irrationally stubborn

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah... pretty much EXPECT racing games to have tilt controls... I can't think of one that would work better with touch controls... can't imagine dragging my finger across the screen to turn in Asphalt 6... oO

5. Górecki

Górecki Active Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Ridge Racer Accelerated originally only had tilt controls and was appalling. It was later updated to include options to use a virtual analogue stick or virtual d-pad. The analogue 'slider' was just as bad as tilt but the digital buttons transformed it into the best racer on the app store (Real Racing my arse).

The decision not to include digital touch steering controls in 8 Bit Rally is baffling. Whilst the tilt controls are done very well they are still effectively digital and you can't 'weave' as quickly with the tilt controls. Something which is essential for a game of this type. Plus, trying to do so just ends up with you waggling the iPod about like a loon. I simply wouldn't dare try the same manoeuvres with an iPad.

It's still a good game, but it could be a great game and I find it bizarre that such a simple and obvious omission is stopping it from being so, especially with Photon Creations excellent SPR (the second best racer on the app store) showing they have the ability to do it right.

6. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.... I see you! :D :D Awesome.

7. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

ok, you guys have convinced me. I'll look into on screen controls for the first update.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    the notion of including on screen controls is fine. I'm just saying I don't know why anyone would miss out on a good game that controls just fine as it is just becuase it doesn't happen to have onscreen controls (yet)...

hint - if you crank the tilt sensitivity right up you don't have to move the device around nearly as much...

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Go play Final Freeway and leave us alone! :p

Tilt controls are implemented great here, though I'd love to see a screen tilt ala Parcel Panic / Uber Racer...

When you get done with that Road Rash game, could you copy Power Drift next? (Says the guy with a Power Drift machine in the garage... :D)

10. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    This game is surprisingly good! (my previous comments were made before purchasing the game, the AI problem was apparent in the video...) Though there are some stuff that I either dislike or want to improve on.
    I hate bumping into other racers, especially during corners. I understand that this is a feature of 8 bit games?

The game could use a bit more sense of speed :D. How bout splitting the road strips to lots of shorter pieces? Adding more scenery (like the level with a lot of tall trees) could help too.

11. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Nooooo don't change the bumping into cars. That's exactly how it worked in the games this is inspired by

About the speed, wait until you get the best car and i promise you you'll get all the sense of speed you'll need:p

12. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Perhaps a 'noob' mode will help modern day kids adapt to this game because we are indulged by increasingly player friendly gameplay? I know that 'bumping into cars' is supposed to punish the player, but I just can't help but feel the game is being unfair to the player. Not a big problem though, I tend to live with these 'old-school' designs without causing too much fuss, but hey, I am spoiled by games like Burnout and all where you bump other cars in behind to either screw them up or don't get 'bumped' backwards from them.

About speed... I guess I'll listen to your advice and work towards the best car (just bought the second). Anyway, some blur effects wouldn't hurt anyone right? :D:cool: (again, spoiled by Burnout Paradise!)

13. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

That is pretty much how it was designed. First car with no upgrades might feel a bit slow, but once you start upgrading it quickly gets better.

The first few tracks are also quite easy. Once you progress onto the harder tracks the tighter corners help increase the sense of speed too.

14. hrsmedia

hrsmedia Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey this looks great, brings back good memories and I love the music! Good luck!!

15. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

16. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    the touch controls in final freeway are bad.they are slide controls.
    what we need are left,right arrows, that simple. even in powerdrift too!

17. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    very nice to hear that. just simple left,right arrows would be fine, or tochung on the left,right side of the screen.

18. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    You're Australian I assume? To include the Gold Coast as a track in the game was cool... but it would have been nice to have a beach on one side of the road with the ocean and as you turn away from it, you later come back to the beach again... maybe a Gold Coast 2 track? :p

19. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    hehe fair point, as long as the noob mode doesn't affect the original mode:p

You won't get motion blur at higher speeds but you'll certainly have to think about where you use your boosts to avoid smashing into signs:)

20. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Motion Blur!!??????

lol, crazy kids! :D