iPad 8 Bit Rally - Retro Racing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    I have no frame rate issues so far on my device, smooth as can be

Tilt controls works very well too

2. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Havn't seen that feature before, so it very well could make it look even better on retina! Thanks for the link, will do that for v1.1

3. Mctron

Mctron Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Spaced out Adventurerer
    Cool Sounding Coordinates #5
    Rad racer ios editon?

4. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    guysss, so many memories here! :D

5. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Yeah, touch controls are an absolute must. Look at any of the VW games to see how they should be done (directional buttons on opposite sides of the screen), would suit this game perfectly. I've never bought a racing game with tilt-only controls and I'm not planning on starting any time soon.

6. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I totally agree. No touch controls,no buy!

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I respect your preference (as it's mine too) but I'm telling you, tilt is really easy on this game compared to others. It feels pretty natural :)

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I understand everyone has personal preferences but I don't get why it would be such a "line in the sand" issue for anyone. I mean you have a device that has some features which seperate it from other similar devices - one being the different control methods allowed by the touch screen and the accelerometer. If it was a situation where the tilt controls were clunky or didn't function well, then I could see why one might adopt your stance, but the fact is the tilt controls work really well (in fact afaic better than buttons on the screen). Why don't you just work with the tilt controls for a while and get used to them and then you won't have to miss out on otherwise great games?

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh my God, yes, I'm buying this right now. Been waiting for a racing game from this era with a lot of content for a long while. Thank you for making it happen, devs.

10. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #30 Simon Potticary, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    See next post...

11. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #31 Simon Potticary, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    Can I just throw my 2 pennies-worth in by saying the MidianGTX is bang on the money with regards to the tilt controls. I also vastly prefer touch controls, but 8-Bit Rally is a real life example of how amazing tilt can be if done properly. Seriously, this is the first racer where a lack of touch controls hasn't even crossed my mind.

But controls isn't the only area that this fabulous retro racer has got so right! The properly awesome sense of speed and the manner in which your car handles are also perfectly judged. And I do mean perfectly. But wait, that's not all, there's more. Graphics, soundtrack and framerate are all utterly excellent. The early ninties retro feel is bang on the money and what's more, every single time I tap the icon and start up the app, there's a real sense of occasion. It genuinely feels that you are playing something genuinely special.

In fact 8-bit Rally has made such an impression on me that I'm moved to make an uncharacteristically bold statement...

...For me at least, 8-Bit Rally stands proudly on the Racing Genre podium along with Real Racing 2 and Death Rally as one of the best three racers on the entire App Store.

There, I told you it was bold. Now I'm probably gonna come in for some flack from some of my fellow Touch Arcadians here, but apart from the aforementioned RR3 and DR, nothing else comes close. Asphalt 6? Nope. Fast Five? Nope. Need for Speed Shift? Nope. Hot Pursuit? No. Reckless Racing? No, no, no, no and no. And certainly not any of it's contemporary retro racers. Final Freeway and Mad Road 3D for example aren't even in the same ball park.

Anyways, you'll have to forgive me, but I can't sit here tapping on my keyboard all day, I've got a very special old-skool arcade racer to get back to. And if you're a proper gamer, I suggest you do too!

Peace out!

Simon

Let the flack commence.....

12. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Wow, this game is worth the $1.99 just for the music alone. Wonderful.

The graphics and gameplay aren't too bad either. ;)

13. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Loving this game a pure old school racer with great music and perfect controls and I too haven't experienced any slow down I'm using an iPhone 4

14. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh yeah, I meant to mention that I didn't notice any slowdown either, although I only just played the first track.

15. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    The very definition of a backhanded compliment, there...

16. Simon Potticary

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Well noted sir!

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Did I read right???? It is going to be universal!!!
    Will be mine the day that happens!!!

18. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Did a lot more races and it just keeps getting better. What a truly brilliant game this is

19. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Did I just notice that the opponent racers 'bounce' between the tracks predictably, creating an (fake) effect that they are being controlled by AI (when it's really a pattern)?

I'm also tempted by the buy button due the sense of speed but I dislike the robotic movement of opponents in this game. Needless to say, I'm spoiled by (some) contemporary racing AI that behaves realistically and intelligently (not in a pattern).

20. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    It's true, I actually need to correct what I said earlier about "excellent AI." Having played this more it's apparent the cars simply follow a predictable left/right pattern throughout the race. Not really a big deal and perhaps consistent with racing games of the time this one mimics, but important to note that still.

On the plus side I tried it on the iPad and it looks surprisingly good.