iPad 8 Bit Rally - Retro Racing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

#1 jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    Our latest game at Photon Creations has just been approved & released on the App Store: 8 Bit Rally
    [​IMG]

Race on tracks all around the world, through some of the harshest and picturesque environments against 19 other competitors all aiming for the prized 8 Bit Cup.
    Earn prize money from races, purchase car upgrades & new car models, gaining that edge over the competition.

App Link: 8 Bit Rally

Follow us on twitter: @PhotonCreations

Original Soundtrack by Poisoncut: Listen to it here

Trailer:

2. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Wow that looks awesome, i totally get the lotus challenge vibe from the amiga days

Bought!:)

3. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Cheers man!

It's inspired by Top Gear (snes) & Lotus challenge. Both were from same developer if i'm not mistaken.
    Loved those games. We just had to make one like it :)

4. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Oh yes, i've wasted countless hours on those back in the day and i gotta say you've really captured the spirit of those games with this one

Just had my first race and it was like being back with my amiga. Spot on controls and great music as well. I'd give this 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who has fond memories of playing this type of game back then:)

5. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I saw this pop up the other night and smiled. It looks fantastic, and a lot of fun. :)

6. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Soundtrack is custom made for 8 Bit Rally by Poisoncut:

Soundtrack

7. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Purchasing! Looks unreal...

8. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Being a late eighties/early nineties gamer, I look back on Lotus Challenge and Top Gear with very fond memories. I loved almost all racers of that particular era, but my favourite was Nigel Mansell's F1. Ah, great days!

9. Nutsworm

Nutsworm Member

May 12, 2011
    Student
    AKL, NZ
    I do and i really like racing games, thx 4 sharing, cool u!

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #10 MidianGTX, Jun 9, 2011
    Really liking the look of this game, any plans for a lite?

P.S. Make us a Road Rash game and I'll pay you anything :p

EDIT: Just watched the video, I'm surprised at how smooth the gameplay is. Great sense of speed as well. I'm edging ever closer to the buy button, but first a couple of questions!

1) How are the levels unlocked/accessed? Do we have to play through each one in succession or is there a level select screen?

2) Do we unlock new cars as we progress or do we always have a choice of car? Are those upgrades in the screenshot and if so, are they permanent and how do you earn the money to acquire them? Thanks :)

11. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

Yeah, will do a lite version in the near future.

Probably will do the first update before that; making it universal.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You just said the magic word.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Cool, thanks. I just added some questions to my previous post if you'd like to tackle those too :p

14. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

#14 jb@photon, Jun 9, 2011

1) You play each track one after the other. It's kinda like a gumball rally style, progressing along the world map. (it even shows a world map!)

2) You win prize money for each race. Prize money is used to purchase car upgrades or save up to get a new car.
    Wheels, Transmission & Engine can be upgraded.

There are 3 cars in total. Once you purchase the next level of car, the upgrades start again.

Upgrades are permanent. Except nitro. That is used up each race (if you use it)

15. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Just had 5 more races and this is just gaming bliss for me

The controls, the music, the sense of speed, everything is fantastic

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Thanks again! I'm liking the sound of this... so one last ques- ah screw it, downloading now.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Seriously good fun, but marred by inconsistent frame rate and jerkiness particularly when going round turns. Make it run at a consistent 60 FPS (surely a cinch for something like this on the latest devices?) and you'll have an absolute winner. As is, it's still fun but annoyingly flawed.

Option for auto-accelerate and touch controls please, as well. Tilt only at the moment, and for a game where steering is essentially digital anyway, it just feels a bit wrong. Besides, I'm yet to see a dev not cave in and add touch control to a game even with solid design logic against it, so why not just have it there at the outset?

Really impressed with the (projected) amount of content. This actually feels like a fully fleshed out game. The racing itself is extremely solid with excellent AI: the cars are definitely not simple obstacles for you to pass; it feels like you are in a race and there is no apparent cheap rubber-banding or such.

Look, really, just fix the frame rate please. There's so much right in this game, I truly want to be able to recommend it wholeheartedly, but the frame rate just really drags the experience down. It's not horrible by any means and the game is still perfectly playable but it's 60 FPS or bust as far as I'm concerned for a game of this kind.

18. jb@photon

jb@photon Active Member

I'm looking to get an update out soon for iPad support, so i'll definitely look into this & see what i can do for the first update.
    Thanks for the feedback!

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's actually getting pretty embarrassing how often I disagree with you Gabrien, I promise it's not intentional :p

I just finished my first race after having read that post, and didn't notice any frame rate problems at all on my iPod Touch 4th gen, despite looking out for it specifically on the corners. Unless it's track dependent there might be some underlying memory issues on certain devices... try rebooting?

I too, would like to see touch controls, although I must admit I found the tilt to work remarkably well, probably because the steering is digital. When I'm given full analog control I find tilt to be far too sensitive and I just ever can't be precise enough to perform well, but here I had no problems at all.

My final request (I'm getting concerned I may become known for saying this too often)... would be a little more love for retina displays. Obviously you're doing the 80s/90s 8-bit pixel art thing, but the edges don't come out as sharp as they should. Is it possible you're suffering from this problem? If so the solution seems fairly simple :)

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Having the same problem. I've noticed quite a lot of my posts are retina-related now. :/