iPad 7 cities strategy

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by organerito, Dec 18, 2008.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Have you finished all campaign level? I am stuck at the last level. I got to wave 31. Do you have any tips?

2. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    #2 Knight, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Tried the Hints section under Info on Main Menu?

Try to put your key towers close to where you want your main killzone is. Leveling up is the key here so you want your powerful towers around there. Get Ice Devil for your Tornado Towers and at least 1 Trebuchet.

Hope others can chime in and help you out.

edit: Actually for Map 7, the killzone is obvious. Just don't spread out your towers.

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Theres a "hints" section under info, i think.

4. dougp

dougp Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    Just want to note that you can force attack your long range units by selecting the specific enemy.

5. David

David Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    What really helps me out is to set up pockets of towers in ideal locations. Each pocket contains a tower for each type of enemy, plus the universal Wind towers and Obelisks. Definitely get the Ice upgrade as a priority, as it makes most bosses much easier to take down (two-four seconds of sustained fire from every tower in your kill zone).

6. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    I can't believe I bought this game and I have yet to play it... I'm too busy trying to beat my other games before moving on...

I'll be sure to come back when I need some of these tips..

Note: Wouldn't it be nice if we had a strategy section for threads...

7. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    Try placing 1 obelisk tower in every section of other powerful towers (those that are already in level 5) they're so helpful

8. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I finished the campaign mode. I got until level 38 without losing a life. as some of you advised, I just concentrate the upgrades in one tower. I built many obelisk and tornado towers. That worked very well.

9. Damager

Damager Member

Nov 21, 2008
    #9 Damager, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    I've managed to not only finish the campaign mode (easy, normal and hard) quite easily (Sapphire Valley was the hardest to judge using my method), but only using two tower types, Arrow (with Critital Hit skill) and Obelisk (with all four skills behind it, damage and range first).

I've also managed to get to level 170-something on Hard Survival Mode on Map 7 using just those two towers, eventually ending up with a score of 1462450 (submitted). That game lasted a little over 155 minutes!

The trick is to only ever upgrade *one* tower (the arrow one). Get as far as you can in the game using only as few arrow towers as possible (cheap - only cost 25) in their best places and then when it has saved up enough cash, drop an arrow tower *and* an obelisk (with damage skill) somewhere out of the way. As you get more cash, build more obelisks close to each other, but no closer than 2 spaces away from any other type of tower (other than the one you are upgrading). This will give all the obelisks the maximum damage potential. You amass blue gems by initially placing as many cheap arrow towers in the main kill zone as possible - the more you have, the more level-up potential and the more blue gems.

See the screenshot below for the only one I took during the game I described above:
    [​IMG]

In that picture, the tower I was upgrading was the one on the island next to the city. All the others were at maximum upgraded twice during the initial stages whilst saving up for obelisks. That tower eventually ended up needing 50 blue gems for the next upgrade (yes, 1225 blue gems used on it). The four nearest ones to it were set to the four different skills - the other ones didn't matter what they were set to use as they had no influence on any other tower (because if they did, they'd only take the value of *that* tower, instead of the one I'd been upgrading). You might also note that there is only 5 spaces left on that layout where I could put an obelisk without them losing power. I'd have to sell (for 0 - hard level!) some arrow towers to put more obelisks down after that).

Best of luck!

10. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    #10 Knight, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    You made 1 post and that was to show off your strategy ;). Well done.

For version 1.1, Obelisks will no longer be able to leech damage off other Obelisks. Would that be fun or not? Let me know.

Hope you enjoyed the game though. Maybe the update might challenge you even more.

I was thinking of giving each tower some points for pulling off various skill effects (ie. critical, charged bolt explosion, razor collections, fully frozen enemies, berserk hits, etc). Maybe that will get people to not rely on Obelisks so much.

11. isimon1207

isimon1207 Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Knight I know in the description you say that theres no pausing time because the enemy doesnt wait... but PLEASE add a pause feature to at least easy and medium modes. For a TD with so much variation in terms of building and upgrading, I need some time to plan!

12. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    I'll do my best to incorporate that. Would you like to pause and build any time or in-between waves?

13. Damager

Damager Member

Nov 21, 2008
    I didn't say that was my only strategy - just the one that's easiest to get through the game (version 1.0) with - if people are stuck.

I think not having obelisks leech of the ones around them is a good thought, but how about obelisks physically being useless unless they are used to power-up a tower - so a maximum of four obelisks per tower - clumped around it. Building one would then have to default to a skill that isn't already being used on the tower that it is used to power-up (i.e. it cannot build another damage obelisk for a tower if it already has one, so it then builds a range or speed as its next preference).

As long as I'm chatting, can you please display the correct map when resuming a saved game - it currently always displays level 1 during the loading sequence, even if that's not the level that was saved/resumed.

As has been mentioned previously, I would appreciate being able to hide the grid/options button in the top right. Also, if a tower is placed at the top of the screen, it is not obvious if it has reached level 5 or level 10 with a yellow gem as the top of it cannot be seen.

Really, the three levels of campaign (easy, normal and hard) should all be tracked seperately - its kind of cheating if you do say the hard campaign for levels 1 and 2 but get stuck on 3 so choose easy for that one!

From a purely aesthetic point of view, how about the city graphic becoming more beaten-up as lives are lost (maybe at least in batches of 5) - looking more like it was about to be overrun...

And if (when) you release updates, can you please include the version number somewhere - the credits are a good place for that. Unless I missed it somewhere already.

Overall, a fantastic game and well worth the £2.99 - brilliant job - thanks to all at Neptune Studios!

14. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    About the Obelisk suggestion, it might be a bit too complicated for majority of the people, but I will think about it.

The loading screen bug is known and listed. I will do my best to fix it.

We are thinking of ways to improve the GUI. There has been some good suggestions.

Hmm, about the difficulty choosing, well this is aimed for casual players. I think its okay to allow them flexibility in this. The thing is, you get 3x the score in Normal, and 5x the score in Hard, when compared to Easy. So just playing Easy to get all the skills is fine, yet score-wise they won't be high. If I did as you suggested I will have lots of complaints that the game is too hard.

I will try to add the version number in the Archives or another section.

Thanks.

15. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    I just beat the Normal level campaign mode with only 2 lives lost (the first two bosses).

All I did was set up a single Arrow tower on the south-east Island, and built about 9 or 10 Obelisk towers around it. By the end of the map, they were all dishing out somewhere around 4k dmg a hit. (40k / 3 secs)

I had a few slowers on the 3 river paths, and various other small Arrow and Canon towers to help my level up process w/ the primary Arrow tower.

The final boss died in maybe 10 seconds after entering the map? Super easy. Best of luck!

16. isimon1207

isimon1207 Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Thank you Knight! I'm not expecting you to incorporate everything suggested to you into new versions but i sure do appreciate you taking the suggestions. I would really like it available at any time but its all up to you. Again we are so glad to have a developer in close contact and that will take suggestions.

I also suggest putting out a lite version if your not already planning on it. Any well polished game with a lite version is almost destined to make it to the top 10 free app list.

17. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    Personally, I don't think a pause button is needed. I've never had an issue where I thought I needed to pause the game in order to place towers.

You can maybe get by with one on EASY mode only. But not on Normal or Hard. If anything, on Hard mode, the waves should come out even if the previous wave isn't completely dead.

18. Chops420

Chops420 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    #18 Chops420, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    nasty bug in the game...

I have the same strategy most have to get the high scores which is to build and upgrade one arrow tower (they are the cheapest) and place as many obelisk's as can fit without them losing power. The problem is, and I have run into this severals time at critical points, where the animation of the obelisk strike gets bugged and freezes. It takes all the obelisk's out of action for 5-10 seconds (or more) sometimes which pretty much can ruin a game. I think it's a great game but this bug pretty much kills putting in 2-3 hours building up a good game.

Below is screenshot of a bugged obelisk animation which took about 10 sec. to recover from. Granted this is wave 61 so I was not in any danger of losing but later on in the same game around level 181 the animation bugged and completely screwed my game and I lost. Very maddening. In fact I've lost all interest to play again because the bug will almost always cause certain death when you need every second.

[​IMG]

Also (this is minor) but those spots to drop a tower up by the menu buttons on the top right are damn near impossible to hit. It's not critical but at those later levels you need every single spot available and when you can't build in one spot it's a little frustrating. You should probably just remove those spots from the map.

19. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    #19 Knight, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    Never heard of that bug before. We had internal testers that played with dozens of Obelisks on screen and they never came across that bug at all. I'll look into it.

We are almost done our version 1.1 update and just testing it out now.

Check out the screenshot of my gameplay of Map 3 on Survival Hard. I was playing it while commuting from work to home. The Hard and Normal modes on Survival are a bit tougher in v1.1, and the Obelisks do not give each other damage anymore, so you can't build a chain. It was never intended for the Obelisk chain to be there, so thats why we removed it. You can still build an Obelisk 'farm' though. By farm, I mean using 1 tower to feed off multiple Obelisks near it. I am using that strategy in the shots below.

Also, we changed the button layout so that that the in-game buttons are to the left side, and can be hidden by either pressing the City or tilting the device downwards (say if you are zoomed in and don't have the City on screen). You no longer will be frustrated with tower placement on those top corner locations.

We also have a whole slew of changes in v1.1. The Campaign is more tougher on Normal and Hard, and easier on Easy. It also features FastForward, Pause & Build, and shows the status bar (battery indicator) when the Pause Menu is up. Also saves last entered High Score name.

With Menu buttons hidden:
    [​IMG]

With Menu buttons showing:
    [​IMG]

Hope to have this baby out next week.

20. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I still couldn't beat the final campaign level on Normal mode. Yikes. Great game that requires great strategy. Guess I'll just replan my strategy.