50 posts... SENIOR MEMBER?! NOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pante, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    agreed. That is a bad idea. It would lead only to spam. How about mods can delete posts and if something is spammy, it gets taken from the posts. or locked threads don't count towards your posts? then this might work

2. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Hmm, the forum i usually post at has over a million members so it's pretty big, i've been there for going on a couple of years and have a post count of around 3,000 (i think), and i have to say it's actually surprisingly easy to rack up your posts as the high post counters here would probably agree. There are a few more ranks there than here, and to be classed as Senior you have to have 500+ posts, which you feel you deserve once you get there.

The interesting thing is (as much as you mock it), you can usually guess how mature a person is by their status; you never see people who use poor grammar, ask stupid questions and talk in text speak as Senior Members or Afterdawn Addicts (now i've given away the name of the site :p), so i'd say the name structuring actually works, it does however not show your actual post count, just your rank, and it works pretty well.

You hardly see people spamming, but then again those that do so get warned and then banned if they persist (rules are generally pretty strict and people keep to them), the Mods there however are great and a know a few of them, they all seem to have post counts over 10k and they certainly do have lives outside the site.

3. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    would this count as a worthless post?:D

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    The whole point is people shouldn't be coming here to increase their post count. So eliminate the factors that attract that behavior. Like titles and post counts.

5. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Yes, and so would this, glad we've clarified the situation ;)

6. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Yes, but somebody cannot get to, say 1,000 posts, by just posting nonsense on Toucharcade, so the system pretty much works now, although I do believe they should have higher ranks or make the "senior member" classification higher.

7. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Just popping in to add my 2 Pence.

Post counts are pretty much worthless in my opinion. Perhaps something that's used on other forums, a "Thanks" system would be better. Simply press a button if you find a users post usefull, and it adds to their "Thanks Count".

Then there's the option of just removing the whole "Member Rank" thing all together. Because as it is, it's not really that good an indicator of a member, heck, I've been here since November, and have just over a 100 posts. And, not trying to be offensive, other members have only been here a month or two, and have posts up in the 300s.