50 posts... SENIOR MEMBER?! NOOOO!!!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pante, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Hey bright idea how about absolutely no status symbol, hierarchy or member classes on TA? So what if devs look at the number of post counts? If you post high quality posts devs will get to know you eventually... Get rid of post counts, forget about "karma" or "reputation" and either build a name for yourself or don't based on the quality of posts other people think you create. People will only see your username and if a person thinks you are a contributor they'll listen to you based solely on what you say.

2. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY

It would be far more logical to have a time criteria. Someone with 30 posts in the last six months is likely a far more valuable resource for the forum than someone who has made 50 posts, none of which occurred in the last six months.

I have many more than 50 posts and am not a Senior Member.

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    How about no post count. I'm sure that would piss off all the little kids and dorks who think that it actually matters. Sorry but caring about becoming a senior member is retarded. And those that mock junior members and think they have more rights should be slapped in the face with a fresh trout......

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    We don't need post counts or titles.

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    The person with the 30 post might not check TA alot
    wherther the guy with 50 does.

I think this should be based on post count and time spent on ta (OR when joined at TA)

BUT REALLY....... since there are post counts still in effect now does it physically hurt you? NO.
    Soo just get over it....

(Yea I know its a little harsh sorry)

6. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    #86 le'deuche123, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Ahhhh....here's one of those little kids now:rolleyes:

Seriously though....what good comes from post counts? If your on TA often, then you know who the regulars are. Plus some of us have lives other than gaming...

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Agree! Reputation you get with good postings and with spending help for other members!

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The only ones who need titles are developers and mods. Otherwise, titles and post counts are unnecessary.

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Agreed, though I think a red herring would be more appropriate...

I can see how 20 posts would make all the difference in the world :rolleyes: The whole point of this thread is to discuss whether post counts / ranks are really significant / needed as they are currently implemented, so I'm thinking that "get over it" is a pretty lame argument. Thanks for sharing, though.

Well said. Guess I should go find my life outside of gaming :)

10. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    A red herring would definitly be more appropriate for the situation at hand:D I will definitely have one on hand for the next fish slap I dole out:)

11. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    lol

you just keep those laying around?

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Doesn't everyone? Mine's laying right next to the shrubbery...

13. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    oic

The elderberry bushes, huh?

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Sorry, I don't play with hamsters :)

(Somehow I think we've both gone way off topic and proved some points here about post counts :rolleyes:)

15. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    A fish slap for both of you then!:D

16. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    MacRumors has titles and join dates, but no post counts. This seems appropriate. I don't get all the whining about post counts to begin with. I come here to discuss and learn about games -- not to lord over some subclass of random strangers who don't post often.

17. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Get a bunch of computer geek 14 y/os together and they are bound to bitch about something.

If we were at yo!Touch Arcade raps, this thread would still exist. The difference being that everyone would be threatening everyone else with imaginary pistols, that peel imaginary caps.

18. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    As a "senior" member--both in number of posts and date I joined this forum--I find this discussion rather amusing.

The person who first started this thread somehow managed to make over 1,400 posts in his two months of membership, and was bemoaning the fact that others who posted far less were allowed to be "senior" members. I have got to wonder whether anyone who can create that volume of postings in such a short period of time has a life outside of Touch Arcade.

I am one of the first members here, and I read the forums a few times a week, and contribute when I feel I have something to say that might be of interest to a few others. I've never viewed my participation in this or any other forum to be a competition for achieving the greatest number of posts. Quality, not quantity, should be the goal. It's unfortunate that so many people feel the need to inflate their post count with idiotic "LOL!" type comments.

Anyone who has spent two months "contributing" to a forum really shouldn't be a senior member regardless of how many useless posts they have made...

19. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, that means I'm safe then :D
    But 1000 seems to high 100 seems to low I say 300-500 or something like that

20. blk04a4

blk04a4 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    xray tech
    bay area cali
    ya ive been noticing the requirements to achieve senior were pretty low, i would assume 1k at the least to reach that title, even more because this is the #1 iphone gaming site!