iPad 5 Fingers Gaming Bundle

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by don_k, Mar 9, 2009.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Five completely different game developers have decided to set aside their competitive spirit and join forces in what I hope becomes a new trend on the app store.

They are each contributing a game to the “5 Fingers Gaming Bundle,” which will be released on the app store soon. This will be one app, that contains 5 games, much like several consoles have done with “arcade packs” and such.

http://www.iphonegamenetwork.com/5-fingers-gaming-bundle

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
  3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have three out of five here as well (Blackbeard's Assault, Up There and Sneezies), so this wouldn't do me much good either. It's an interesting concept, but I think you'll find a lot of people in the same boat as pante and I, which could make this type of thing a hard sell. Now if they could find some way to do a "build your own package", that would be something entirely different...

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I have Blackbeard's Assault, Sneezies, and Burn Ball... but hopefully they do more.

5. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I remember when Tim Haines was first discussing this and looking for other developers to partner up with. It's good to see this idea actually grew into something real. I already have Sneezies, Up There, Burnball, and Blackbeard's Assault (Lite), but will be happily picking this one up. Not only do I get the full version of Blackbeard's Assault, I essentially save 3 spaces on my springboard. ^ ^

The space saving is the key winner in my book.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I brought this sort of idea up a while back, and had heard that it wasn't feasible. Looks like it is feasible, and these developers are doing it!

It's a good idea.

But...I already have all five of those games :(

7. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    if you would have asked me which ones might team up with him.. i would have nailed 2 of the other 4 which is a great thing :D

8. Warhorse Games

Warhorse Games Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Software Engineer
    Ladera Ranch, CA
  9. holliberry

holliberry Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    This is a really cool idea, unfortunately I have 3 of the games as well, and I'm not extremely interested in Blackbeard or Chopper. That's what I get for buying every game I want as soon as it comes out, I guess :p

10. VeiledGames

VeiledGames Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just want to say we're really proud to be a part of this. All 5 of us have no shared investment or anything like that in each other's companies... I think it really says a lot that we're willing to get together, work out the legalities, the technicalities and the eventualities, and cooperate out of a shared enthusiasm for each other's work.

Anyway, here's a video I made of all 5 games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBTourPnyUs

11. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Good idea

It's a great bundle with good games for the right price. I already have 3 so I'll pass too, but I really like the idea!

TheOnePb

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Once again, great idea, but since I own half of these games already, I don't want to pay for what I already have.

13. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i agree it's a great idea... i just wish for some new games in the next 5 Fingers Gaming Bundle.

14. Good idea but think it'll actually hurt those who just want one of those games. Those are all great games but I fear they'll all raise their price to like $3 individually so you'll say hmmm I'm getting $15 value for $5. When in reality many of those are $1 games or at least have been. But on the flipside great deal for those who don't own any of those as Blackbeard is awesome and so is Sneezies.

15. Warhorse Games

Warhorse Games Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Software Engineer
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    It's a steal!

The developers in the bundle are free to price their games as they wish. However, I can assure you we don't have some master plan to raise the prices to $3. I'd guess the individual app prices will remain what they are today, none of us want to hurt our individual sales either :). Based on the price history of these games I think it's fair to call $4.99 for the bundle at least 50% off the combined price.

16. VeiledGames

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Up There is 1.99, has been for a long time, and will be 1.99 for the foreseeable future. If you want it for .99 cents, get the bundle. I know I won't be changing to $3, and am pretty sure the others won't either.

Sorry to debunk your theory, but pricing on the individuals will almost assuredly stay where they were before the release, and be discounted in the bundle :)

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    mmk, quick question.

I have all 5 games, however I do like the thought of having all of them under one icon.

But what exactly is the startup time like. Does it take a hit since it's loading all 5 apps?

18. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    seriously? you want to spend 5 bucks just to have 5 more spaces?
    delete some app/games you don't use... cause it's hard to believe you use everyone (of 144 max total) everyday. :)

19. VeiledGames

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not at all, the bundle loads the game selection menu into memory first, lets you pick the game, than unloads the menu and loads only the selected game. The menu takes maybe 1/5th of a second to load, so thats the only increased loading time you'll see in the bundle. Everything else should stay the same, loading time, and memory use.

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've already got Up There and Chopper. I dunno... It's a really good idea, though. Hopefully we'll see some more themed ones. An adventure pack. A puzzle pack, a racing pack, etc...