4th gen itouch or Ipad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Shatner's hairpiece, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I have a 3rd gen itouch, with 17 month old battery that doesn't last more than 2 hours. I'm trying to decide on a holiday gift for myself. Either an Ipad or 4th gen itouch.

The advantage of a new itouch is retina graphics, mic, longer lasting battery, hd camera. Cost would be about $199 on black Friday sale tomorrow.

Advantage of Ipad: all my games are easier to play, more fun, especially board games, watching netflix is easier, battery lasts up to ten hours, better for browsing, reading books, reading comics is now possible.

The problem is the cost. Cheapest Ipad on black friday is about $565 Cad including tax, not a small sum of money for something that is just going to be used at home, on the couch or in bed. The Itouch would be about $224 Cad.

The wife says I can only have one but still thinks the Ipad is too expensive. I agree it is expensive, but if I really want it, I'll get it. It's also tempting to just wait for the new gen Ipad in March.

2. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    If price is a problem, I'd go with the iPod touch. iPad games are usually double the cost of iphone ones.

3. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    the wife? isn't it my wife? Get the touch. it's better for gaming, it's small, its not heavy, it makes sense.

4. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I have 4th gen and wish I got an iPad, iPad is just better and hey it IS portable, games look and play amazing, great for long car rides, go for the iPad

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I have both, and I must say that I use my iPod Touch 4G more. I just use my iPad for watching videos, browsing the web, reading a few books here and there, not really for gaming. I use my iPod Touch for gaming because gaming on the iPad can get tiring, especially for games that are accelerometer-based (especially racing games). The iPad, in general, is light but it can get heavy lol. An iPod Touch is lighter, so gaming is more comfortable.

So if you play a lot of games, then I say go for the iPod Touch 4G. Not the 8gb though, at least the 32gb. Seeing as how you are thinking about getting an iPad, you should have the money for the 32gb :p

6. pablo6630

pablo6630 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    ipod touch 4G Definitely:D

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    iPod Touch 4. Generally better for gaming (unless you like board games a lot).

8. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Definitely consider the cost of games too. iPhone games are almost always cheaper than iPad games and iPad games rarely go on sale (other than this week, of course :D ). And seeing as you already have a 3rd gen iPod you've probably already got a lot of great games for a 4th gen iPod Touch.

9. iPad is a larger investment, both in initial cost and (generally) the cost of games. However I love my iPad. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but you are correct that many games are much easier to play (except tilt-based games; the iPad ain't light), surfing is far better, the iPad has some nice features that make it more desktop-like when it comes to productivity (dropdown menus and such). It's not the most portable -- I don't use it for MP3s on the go, certainly, but video is great (Netflix is good quality, and streaming/remote access apps work great too).

I just love the bigger screen for most things. I guess you have to ask yourself which is more important to you: Portability (pocket-size) or usability.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Do a hard power-off-- hold down the sleep button until the red slider appears, and then turn it back on. iOS4 has a shitty memory bug where crashed apps continue taking up memory and burn battery power--you just need to do a hard power off each time something crashes. It fixed all of my battery problems.

11. Shatner's hairpiece

Aug 1, 2009
    Thanks for this. I get a lot of crashes, especially on newer games that aren't fixed yet. I will try this out.

12. zman2100

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    As is the case with any electronic device it's always good to give it a reboot every so often. Sometimes when my computer or phone start feeling bogged down I'll wonder what the problem is and realize I haven't turned them off in a week or more.

13. Shatner's hairpiece

Aug 1, 2009
    Question about this. All my apps are 'ipad compatible'. In fact, most every game I look at in the app store says 'ipad compatible'. So how are these 'itouch' games going to look on an Ipad? Will they be really pixelated, have black bars on the sides? Is the only way to get a good gaming experience to buy the specifix 'HD only Ipad version' which is more expensive? Example: 'Battle for Wesnoth'. I just bought this today. How would it look on Ipad? I would expect a better experience than playing it on an itouch.

As for the link to the store that sells IPad for$399. Too bad we don't have that in Canada. The cheapest here will likely be Apple sale tomorrow at 8% off or buying one off craigslist. Can't find anything there for less than $500.

14. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i'd get ipod touch

*cheaper
    *retina display
    *camera
    *light and very portable

15. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Unless it's a Universal app, I don't think it'd look that good on the iPad. Sure, it can play on it, but the graphics would be considerably worse. Of course, I don't have an iPad so I don't know for sure.

16. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Another advantage you forgot to mention is the gyroscope.

17. zman2100

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Also the 2nd gen iPad will be coming out within the next few months. Some say it's coming out in January but at the latest it will be out in early April. There's not much worse than buying a device right before they release the updated version of that device at the same price.

18. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Oh, sorry. :(

19. Shatner's hairpiece

Aug 1, 2009

No problem. Apple online sale starts tomorrow and your votes are in! I'm getting the Itouch. It should be $50 off the 32 gig. I just took a look at the same website on my wife's 4th gen and compared to my 3rd gen. It's like I put on glasses. Much sharper on 4th. I am also running out of room on my 8 gig and have had to dump about 20 games to make room for new ones so the extra space will be great. Hard to believe that Apple insists on giving us hard drive space that is equivalent to what I got on my 1998 computer!

And I also don't like buying an Ipad this late in the cycle. Might as well wait until March to see what the new version offers.