Grapple Slayer – Dev Blog

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by liva, Sep 19, 2024 at 9:31 PM.

1. liva

liva Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Paris, France
    Dev Blog #1: The Journey Begins!

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first dev blog for Grapple Slayer, a project that I’ve been super excited to share with you all. This is a side-scrolling game inspired by Idle Slayer, with an intense twist: a grappling hook mechanic that lets you slay giant monsters, in a style reminiscent of Attack on Titan. I’ve only been working on this for a few days, but I’m pumped about where the game is heading and wanted to give you a peek into its early development.

[​IMG]

Keeping the Runner Genre Alive
    I know the runner genre might not be at its peak anymore, but I believe there’s still a lot of love for it, especially when mixed with fresh mechanics. Grapple Slayer blends the traditional endless running style with dynamic combat, platforming, and RPG progression system. I want to add layers of depth, like quests, unlockable items, and other features that give players a reason to keep coming back. I’m hoping this combination works, and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts as I continue developing it.

Core Gameplay Mechanics So Far
    Here's what I’ve got working at the moment:
    • Jumping & Combat: Players can jump, perform melee attacks, and shoot a bow.
    • Grappling Hook: The star of the show – the player can shoot a grappling hook to latch onto titans and use it to slingshot into a powerful attack. This will be key in taking down the huge monsters that serve as bosses in the game.
    [​IMG]
    What’s Next
    Looking ahead, I’m focusing on implementing RPG progression mechanics, where players can take on quests, find items, and upgrade their character to unlock new abilities and equipment.

Also I need to work on the grappling hook mechanics and making sure they feel fluid and satisfying. After that, I’ll be moving on to fleshing out more enemies, level designs, and, of course, titans.

Thanks for checking out the first dev blog for Grapple Slayer! It’s still early days, but I’m really excited about what’s to come, and I hope you are too. I’d love to hear your feedback and thoughts on the direction of the game so far.

Until next time.

sebgo likes this.
  2. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

It's very early to offer feedback, but I like the general idea. Autorunners are an essential part of gaming, especially on mobile, so it's definitely interesting to see what new elements and direction can be added to the genre.

3. liva

liva Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Paris, France
    Thanks for the feedback, Sebgo! I agree—autorunners are still a big part of gaming, especially on mobile. I’m really excited about the grappling hook mechanic (one of my first game was built around that). It brings new movement into the mix, letting players swing, attack from above, and navigate in ways traditional runners don’t offer.

I think this kind of verticality, combined with RPG elements like quests and upgrades, can add something fresh to the genre.