No more weekly “new iOS games” articles?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Quoad, Sep 12, 2024 at 7:25 AM.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Only reason I came here, every Thursday morning for some decades (ok perhaps 1.5). Scan the new games list, have a look at forum threads for any interesting non-free ones, maybe buy one or two.

Noticed the absence last week, went looking for some sort of announcement or comment, couldn’t see one. No article subsequently appeared.

Same this week at 07:24 uk time, late by historic TA standards. Given this never appeared last week, I am assuming this feature has been canned.

Oh well! Good luck with it all! Assume difficult times and waning interest.

adin, cy@n, otggamer and 1 other person like this.
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah it’s a shame. I used to love that feature also.
    I now use AppRaven. Select menu/new apps and they show what’s come out

Nervous if TA disappears. The Patreon seems super low. Not as many users as the hey day. Hope all is okay

houseofg and Quoad like this.
  3. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I hope it’s not gone for good. Definitely my main reason to pop every Thursday morning….

4. RedThumb

RedThumb Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    I came here to ask the same thing.
    "Out Now" every thursday is the main - if not only - reason I keep the TA tab permanently.

Quoad and adin like this.
  5. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    New Mexico
  6. Samuel Dodee

Samuel Dodee Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2024
    Male
    Jared Nelson writes "Out Now" and "TouchArcade Game of the Week" articles and he isn't writing new articles from August 31.
    Maybe he is on vacation.

7. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Active Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    When there is no new influx of members actively participating in the forum discussions it goes like this.

It's the same people year in and year out arguing about the same old things. It gets tiring in the long run and it doesn't attract any new blood. Nobody wants to come to a forum that isn't lively and has a breadth of opinions and discussions where only ten people respond with the same old opinions.

I don't know what to do to counter this, but I'm pretty sure the thread starter is right that the forum might not have much time left. I hope I'm wrong.

8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I guess what I’m also aware of is that the likes of us aren’t very profitable (do emoji even work here? That’s going to come out blank, isn’t it?)

I have other thoughts about other things but tbf that’s not why I started this thread. The nature of iOS / mobile gaming has changed, and monetising that is obviously hard. Most main page reviews are clearly very heavily gunning for SEO rankings by endlessly repeating the game title which in my view is a double-edged sword - presumably brings in the links but makes them much less readable / engaging. The first survivability crisis I recall was when Apple stopped paying commission for games bought through TA links - and things have become tougher since then.

Anyway. Things change. All of us are older. I will be slightly sad if out now has disappeared, though tbf I wonder if I was even using it any more - why pick up iOS if there’s a steam deck to hand? Why read TA on steam games when the literal raison d’etre is to provide a bucketload of reviews and endless insights on each and every steam game known to humankind? Tough choices. Tough context.

Collin likes this.
  9. Remote_

Remote_ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 26, 2011
    UK
    I visit every day as there's generally always a little something to pique my interest.

Mikhail's reviews are nicely in depth and enjoyable (although I'm still not that bothered about frame rates, personally, which most people seem to really focus on!) but Shaun's absence is definitely going to detract from my pleasure in coming here. And the weekly run-down is an obvious reason for most of us to check TA. I would like to guess that holidays are the reason for the recent absence of them, but obviously I don't really know.

As has been noted by many, times are tough now. I just hope the guys can keep things rolling. Although I fear that may not be the case in the medium term - or even the short term.

I'm hardly the most active member of the forum in fairness, but I think I'd feel as sad about TA going as I did when UK Resistance stopped. And I was truly gutted about that.

10. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
  11. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I noticed that the last SwitchArcade Review Roundup ended with an image reading, “So long and thanks for all the fish,” and have been looking for an answer since. I don’t know if Shaun is leaving or if the whole site is shutting down. I suspect the latter.

(eta) AppSliced closed recently as well. I don’t recall if the two sites were connected or not

houseofg and Quoad like this.
  12. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Active Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    @Collin I don't think Appsliced and Toucharcade have anything to do with each other, they are two sites with two different purposes. I have followed both for many years and never got the feeling that they were in any way connected.

Appsliced closed its doors due to poor profitability according to the founder himself. It is possible to find his own explanation somewhere on the net (Reddit?). In connection with his closing, a deal was made with the founder of AppRaven who runs a similar service, so if you go to AppSliced today, you will be redirected to his site.

Collin likes this.
  13. Samuel Dodee

Samuel Dodee Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2024
    Male
    In the previous article

Collin, adin and Quoad like this.
  14. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Had a feeling things were winding down when the usual articles weren't popping up on the usual days. Can't say I blame Shaun. It really was a hell of a run and he poured all he had into keeping us in the know. Hope someone steps into his shoes but it won't surprise me if that doesn't happen.

*Chef's kiss* to the "So long and thanks for all the fish" outro!

Collin and adin like this.
  15. maskeddog

maskeddog Member

Dec 18, 2009
    For those interested, Shaun is still on the TA discord channel. Today he announced that he'll post a weekly Nintendo Switch Round-Up on his blog site, Post Game Content.

He had this to say:
    It’s going to be weekly, it’s mainly going to be focused on new and notable releases, and I’m definitely not going to be doing the lists of sales. I might call out some specific ones here and there when I consider them juicy enough, though.

Collin and Samuel Dodee like this.
  16. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    N/A here, but thanks for the heads up.

Collin likes this.
  17. Raztog

Raztog Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Its a shame. Wish the gang nothing but the best in their future endeavors.

Collin likes this.
  18. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank you. I will continue to follow him at his site.

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA