Universal Maid of Sker by Wales Interactive (Preorder September 10th)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by agreen437, Aug 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Did anyone else notice? This is incredible

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Already preordered :).

3. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Same. :)

4. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Awesome still deciding to preorder or just wait and buy on release

5. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    The release date according to the App Store is not far away so I think I’ll just wait to release date

6. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Just so you guys know there’s no controller support which is bummer I asked the devs and they said they wouldn’t add it

7. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Active Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #8 RoaringKitty, Sep 1, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    There should be mandatory Playstation/Xbox controller support in AppStore. :p Something similar to Apple Arcade.

8. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Nah; not all games need a controller in order to be played nor is a controller a universal better way to do so (with games designed to make use of mobile features in mind), and given iDevices' nature, touch is their mandatory input method.

For ports said support is welcome, though, but I've experienced some [ports] that play great with touch controls. Also, not all developers know how to add support for controllers or are simply not interested in supporting them.

What does Arcade have in that regard? I haven't used the service much, if at all, so I'm not aware of what you mean.

P.S: Lovely profile picture, btw. ♡

9. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Active Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    #10 RoaringKitty, Sep 1, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    Almost all games in Apple Arcade have controller support. I think it should be up to each person how they want to play their games, especially if you have paid alot of money for them. You could see it as a way of providing ”extra service” to us from the developer. And that’s the kind of developers I want to get behind.

Also, it’s not like there is a huge task to implement basic controller functionality today. There are standard frameworks for xbox/playstation/mfi controllers the developers easily can take advantage of.

Not provide external controller support can of course be a artistic choice from the dev, but I’m all for beeing as inclusive as possible. Just implement it and give people a choice. :)

10. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    I definitely agree it’s not hard maybe if we ask devs will add controller support for this game

RoaringKitty likes this.
  11. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's the majority of people with access to the service who play them with controllers, though.

I agree with people being able to decide how to play their games is a plus, when they have a choice. If a game doesn't support a specific input method we want, it's our loss since from the start it's usually known whether a piece of software meets our needs/demands or not. Also, most games on mobile cost a fraction of their console counterpart, and the most expensive ones, that are usually [ports] made by big companies, have controller support.

Of course, the more the merrier. But my point is we're not entitled to demand features. Developers make stuff, consumers take it or leave it. Extra features mean more time needs to be put into it, in turn bigger development costs which might also increase the final sale price arise, and then we have people complaining a game costs $9.99.

If that were the case, I think all games would support controllers by default. I don't think it's as simple as pressing a button et voilà. It probably takes a lot of debugging and mapping everything to the corresponding buttons in order to ensure everything works properly [and doesn't break other stuff in the process].

As an example, Streets of Rage 4, which is published by one of the most experienced teams in porting games to mobile has a basic flaw with Joy-Con mapping (if you set the interface to Nintendo Switch controls, AB and XY button presses are inverted, resembling XBox configuration).

Some games don't even map all actions to buttons such as Pocket Rogues requiring touch input in order to advance into the game or not having the "run" action correctly mapped to pressing the L stick. It's definitely not as simple as one might think.

You don't see all games on Nintendo Switch support touch input, right? As far as I know, Baldur's Gate doesn't, and it'd definitely benefit from it in handheld mode.

Some games are meant for mobile and it's not mandatory to add controller support to a game that for example, by design (rather than an artistic choice), is played with omnidirectional swipe gestures (Infinity Blade, which didn't have the choice to add controller support back then, offered one of the tightest and more precise control experiences on mobile) or tilting a device (Tilt to Live) in mind, nor are we entitled to demand such features. As I stated earlier, we either take it or leave it if it's not up to our standards.

Actual inclusive games make use of accessibility features such as Adventure to Fate - Lost Island Voice-Over support being a recent and [seemingly] outstanding example (I haven't played it, yet). I know Agreen's condition benefits from controller support, and it'd be great if all games had it, but it's definitely not a developer obligation (as in "mandatory") to offer such feature and the same goes for other accessibility options; games are a business, after all, and not exactly aimed at satisfying each and every customer.

As a final note, even if Maid of Sker's developers don't have controller support in mind, they could still change their mind or simply toggle the button to add it in a later update. They probably have more important tasks to focus on right now, such as fixing bugs and actually finishing the game. They can't make everyone happy from the start.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m not a joystick fan. Even if I did have a joystick I wouldn’t take it on a train or plane or away for the weekend if I’m away with work. The games are mobile. I don’t want to be lumbered with extra stuff I have to take with me to play games. All the games work fine without a joystick.
    Back in the 80s when I had a home computer I never used a joystick. Always the keyboard.

I don’t believe making a game compatible with a joystick is easy or as Seb said every game would have that from the start. Most of us don’t know what it takes to create a game so we can’t say ‘why haven’t they done it. Must be easy as our companies do it’

some small indie teams have games which aren’t always compatible. Probably because they’re on a budget and would only add it if the game makes money and is popular.

But then you get the joystick brigade saying I won’t buy a game if it won’t work with a joystick. Doesn’t help indie devs one bit. Help make the game successful and then there’s a greater chance the mobile game might have joystick support

13. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Your right but my question is can maid of sker be played on touchscreen without a controller? Depends on how good the touch controls are

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha of course. So this game doesn’t have joystick support

I’m sure the game has been tested loads. I’d the only control is touchscreen I’m sure it works okay ! I’ve got over 1300 games installed in my phone. I only use toushceeen

the devs would be mad if the touch controls didn’t work well as they would hardly sell many. Sure it’s fine

15. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    I agree maid of sker controller support could be added in a future update if there’s enough demand from players

16. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

And, more importantly, enough players to justify complying with said demand.

17. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    I agree but looking forward to trying this tomorrow with the touch controls maybe you don’t need a controller never played this game but I will try it out

sebgo likes this.