Universal Panzer Battle (by Sparkling Apps)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Macvanderspek, May 1, 2022.

1. Macvanderspek

Macvanderspek Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    #1 Macvanderspek, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Just launched our tank combat game 'Panzer Battle' on iOS today. Please have a look and let me know what you think?

Panzer Battle

Sparkling Design and Infotech Private Limited
    Panzer Battle - Command your tank into the historical battlefields of World War II. Fight in a 5x5 frontline and defeat …
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Panzer Battle - Command your tank into the historical battlefields of World War II. Fight in a 5x5 frontline and defeat your enemies. Choose from a realistic collection of tanks, maps and upgrades. Historically accurate World War II tanks from Germany, USSR, the US and the USA. Fight on different and distinctive terrains and turn these into your strategic advantage. Panzer Battle is optimised for most iOS devices, and you can adjust graphical settings to get the best performance. Enjoy Panzer Battle!
    Information
    Seller:Sparkling Design and Infotech Private Limited
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Apr 30, 2022
    Updated:Feb 21, 2023
    Version:3.2
    Size:1.3 GB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Thanks!
    Martijn

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/panzer-battle/id1620308483I
    Always a bad start when I have to turn the iPad upside down to play! Having the Pad on a stand makes the volume control inaccessible. So it’s 5x5 but couldn’t tell who was on which side. I think I was shooting my own team sometimes. Seemed like everyone was a bot so probably doesn’t matter. Could really do with a zoom function for aiming, and a map would help. Aside from those issues I can’t fault Panzer Battle at all. Quick and fun to play.

3. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it! The iPad issue is noted. There is a zoom function, you can press the middle of the crosshair. Will make that clearer. And the multiplayer is still being worked on, it is a one player game for now, as you figured out.

Thanks again!
    Martijn

Stronsay likes this.
  4. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    A new update is available that fixes the iPad issue. And the aiming function has been improved, it is now a proper aiming circle on iPad. I also added an alternative control method, you can now use virtual buttons as well as the virtual joystick (select through settings on home screen).

Would really like your feedback on the controls. I would like to know which method I should use as 'default'.

Thanks a lot!
    Martijn

5. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    Best to go with virtual joystick as default for now. Gives easier overall control for an arcade style tanker, driving and steering with one hand while looking around with the other. However, if the plan is to evolve to more of a simulation, then arrow buttons better replicate the differential steering of tracked vehicles. I prefer the arrow buttons. Would be even with an option to reverse them - left to go right and right to go left - cos tanks steer that way. Then I’d switch back to conventional steering for the Sd.Kfz half track - (my favourite vehicle, I think, with its crazy overpowered machine gun!)

The aiming works fine. Good to see that gun elevation is required to hit distant targets, unlike some games I could mention.

The 2.1 update still runs upside down on iPad.

What are your future plans? Simple arcade MMO shooter? or more complex simulation with varied weapons and armour?

6. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback! I may add the 'reverse button' option as well, and stick with the virtual joystick as default.
    The iPad fix somehow didn't go through, thanks for alerting me. I'll update it on Monday.
    I definitely want to make Panzer Battle as realistic as possible and tweak all tanks abilities with their historical abilities. Also when adding additional tanks. Thinking of adding a Japanese tank set and campaign soon. At the same time, I want to make the game as accessible as possible. That is why I made the first levels easier, to get players used to the controls, and this resulted in the one shot kill of the Sd.Kfz. Together with the machine gun effect it makes it rather OP now ;-)

As said, really great to get this feedback and to bounce off ideas!

Have a great day,
    Martijn

Stronsay likes this.
  7. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    #7 Macvanderspek, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
    The 2.2 update is now available in the app store, which fixes this. Resolved a few more issues and made the 'flag feedback' when destroying an enemy more obvious.
    I am going to tweak the difficulty and spawning of the enemy tanks, to make the progression more gradual. And am working on multiplayer, but that requires quite some effort. Hopefully worth it though!

Have fun with the game,
    Martijn

8. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    Thanks for 2.2 update with iPad fix which helps a lot! Good idea making the flag feedback more obvious because I hadn’t noticed it before:) Look forward to seeing changes to difficulty and tank spawning. Needs some added challenge at later levels. Adding multiplayer sounds like a lot of work. My own coding has never progressed beyond https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/lowres-nx-coder/id1318884577 so I’ve no idea what’s involved. I think the bots work pretty well though and hope they will be left in with some sort of solo campaign. Can I suggest more attention to tank upgrading?, like collecting individual weapons, ammo and armour, maybe from busted tanks in the field. Being able to customise vehicles as well just gaining new ones should keep players coming back. Adds a lot more work too! Not sure if that’s in your future plans.

9. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks! Did a few more updates, at 2.3 now. Tweaking the difficulty next. That lowRes app you mentioned is brilliant, by the way. Did you create that?

Great suggestions, love the idea of gaining upgrades from busted tanks in the field. Let's see what I can do!

10. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    New update is available in the app store now. We have adjusted the respawning of enemy tanks to make it more challenging. We have added sound effects to match the heavier tanks like the KV-1 and Tiger. Fixed a number of bugs as well.

Good luck, commander!

11. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Released another update yesterday. Based on player feedback, we have shifted the location of the gun aiming button to the right, under one of the fire buttons.
    We have also made sure the gun sight only turns 'red' when an enemy is in sight. Less chance of friendly fire!
    The tanks reinforcements are appearing at more logical locations on the map. This should make the game quite a bit more interesting/challenging.

Good luck, let me know what you think?

12. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    Update is a great help with red sight markers for enemies only. Gun aiming button works fine, though I had got used to tapping the central gunsight. I’ll adjust to the new location. The modified reinforcement areas make for a better challenge with more thought needed now for deployment. Have progressed to Monte Cassino which is proving a tough battle. Three defeats in a row!

13. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Great! Today being the anniversary of Overlord, you should really try to get past Monte Cassino and progress to Normandy though!
    ;-)

41D4064A-0DF1-4389-B172-4241A8E6E6DD.jpg

Truncana and Stronsay like this.
  14. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Released an update today. Added more static vehicles to the maps and made some general improvements. Still working on multiplayer. And preparing some additional battles and new tanks as well!

Stronsay likes this.
  15. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Another update today. Added a new battle: Battle of the Bulge. It is the final battle for the UK/US side, and the last battle before the Battle of Berlin for the German side. Have fun!

16. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Enter the mighty!

New level 6 tanks have been added:
    Germany: Tiger II
    UK/US: Pershing
    Soviet: IS-2

And that is not all! A new battle has been added to the German and Soviet campaigns: Operation Bagration.
    Historically, this has been the greatest Soviet victory in WW2. Will you repeat this or will the new German armor change matters?

Good luck, commander! Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.53.36 AM.png

17. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Now available as enhanced Mac app as well. Since I haven't been able to figure out how to price it separately, it will be free initially at least!

Panzer Battle

Sparkling Design and Infotech Private Limited
    Panzer Battle - Command your tank into the historical battlefields of World War II. Fight in a 5x5 frontline and defeat …
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Panzer Battle - Command your tank into the historical battlefields of World War II. Fight in a 5x5 frontline and defeat your enemies. Choose from a realistic collection of tanks, maps and upgrades. Historically accurate World War II tanks from Germany, USSR, the US and the USA. Fight on different and distinctive terrains and turn these into your strategic advantage. Panzer Battle is optimised for most iOS devices, and you can adjust graphical settings to get the best performance. Enjoy Panzer Battle!
    Information
    Seller:Sparkling Design and Infotech Private Limited
    Genre:Action, Strategy
    Release:Apr 30, 2022
    Updated:Feb 21, 2023
    Version:3.2
    Size:1.3 GB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal