Universal Torchlight Infinite (by XD Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jan 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There have been multiple failed attempts to bring Torchlight to mobile; judging by my time spent on the closed beta, this one is the real deal. Don’t have specific authorization from the publisher to speak about my experience with the game (unlike the guy on the video below), but I will say one thing: like Genshin Impact, this is a free to play experience that shows a deep respect for the actual game they are developing. I’m very excited for this.

2. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Unfortunately, the current testing build of the game has no controller support, which is ridiculous. As a huge fan of Torchlight, i can say that the game seems well put together, so the lack of controller support is a glaring omission. Hopefully, it gets added before release or soon after.

malaheart and squarezero like this.
  3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yep — right there with you. Part of me feels like they’re harking back to the game’s PC/mouse and keyboard origins, but with over a decade on console you’d think they could have added controllers into the mix.

The biggest thing for me is that it feels like a proper Torchlight game — not a revenue model.

sharfaust likes this.
  4. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Absolutely true. I’ve shifted most of my mobile gaming to my iPad, so when awesomeness like Dead Cells or Oceanhorn 2 arrive with full controller support, it feels like those companies care about mobile as a legitimate gaming platform. When other games arrive that don’t have controller support and really need that support to be a complete experience, it feels like mobile is an afterthought to those companies. Especially if those games are ports from other systems WITH CONTROLLER SUPPORT.

squarezero likes this.
  5. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    You could have put Impressions in the subject line or something…now I have shit my pants for nothing :D (I thought it was finally out!!).

Thanks for the info and opinions

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well, it is in the upcoming games section :).

BTW based on the state of the beta, I would expect it to come out soon.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’ve now put it about 20+ hours into the beta and can say a few things about the game with a fair amount of confidence:

1) This is the closest thing to Diablo 3 on mobile — for both good (mostly) and ill. Don’t expect a deep dungeon dive experience — rather, Torchlight Infinity uses the same kind of varied environment exploration approach of Diablo 3: you go from forests to deserts to mines to proper dungeons, all tied together by “hideouts” with traders, craftspeople, and other NPCs.

2) The game is called Infinite, but there is a linear story. The idea is that there is “infinite” replayabity, with multiple playable characters, skill paths, types of upgradable gear, and randomly generated “dungeons.”

3) There’s plenty of depth to the skill system. Skill paths are complex and varied, with multiple levels and plenty of choice. That said, on my archer character a lot of that amounts to more DPS, more defense, and faster speed. It’s satisfying, but there’s little “oh my god” quality to it. The skills themselves are not particularly flashy, though doing 4K damage on a single hit always brings a smile to my face.

4) It’s visually stunning and runs at 60 FPS. The choice to use a flat, more cartoony aesthetic really pays off. The game looks great and performs fantastically — all without overheating my iPhone 13 Pro.

5) They nailed mobile quality of life. The game starts off where you left off - ‘nuff said.

6) It feels like a real game. Yes, it’s free to play and always online. But the game is balanced towards gameplay rather than stat management. IAP is not implemented on the beta, so it’s hard to see the final impact of the monetization system. But you get the sense that they are planning to keep it fairly unobtrusive. There’s no “home” screen packed with currency offers, special deals, gacha teases. Oh, and no auto play.

I’m sure most people here would prefer this to be premium — I would, too. But XD has clearly taken a page from Mihoyo and delivers a game for people who love Torchlight/Diablo first and foremost.

8. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    Hype hype hype. Thanks for the intel. Very much looking forward to this.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @squarezero thanks for the post and info, even though I’ve never played a torchlight before I’m looking forward to this one. Although I am wondering what’s the core endgame loop on this? Anything multiplayer?

I keep looking at the characters too wondering which I’d pick one looks like a barbarian type guy, one a shooter/ranger type and the other two kind of look like mages? Hopefully I’ll be able to find more info to help me decide which I’d prefer when the game is released.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #10 squarezero, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    On the endgame loop: it’s not quite clear to me yet, and might be something that is still in development. I’m kind of stuck in a particular section right now (I can finish the level but don’t seem to have everything I need to progress), and put the game down for a bit. I’ll try to get back to it soon. Overall, you are restoring torchlight energy across the realm, but the whole thing is a bit vague. Nothing on multiplayer so far.

As to the characters, I’ve only played the ranged fighter so far (my usual go to), so I can’t speak to the others.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’ve had an email to say I’m in for the next beta which says it starts April 24th which is great.

Although content creators seem to be saying Diablo Immortal will likely come soon and before 30th of June as the AppStore says, I know nobody really knows but that’ll be some tough competition.

Figures we wait all these years and then get both games around the same time (although I know we don’t know when torchlight is coming yet.)

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Congrats. I’m also included in this new beta. My guess is that we’re looking at a fall release for Torchlight, but who knows.

ste86uk likes this.
  13. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Got the same message for the new beta. Hopefully they implement controller support before it releases. And maybe surprise us and release mobile versions of the other Torchlight games too. One can dream.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @squarezero it says about getting taptap but will I just get an email with a TestFlight invite?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The game is on TestFlight, but your account is through TapTap.

ste86uk likes this.
  16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #16 ste86uk, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    I’m going to be happy to get to try out all of the classes to get a feel for what I like. It’ll also help me with my decision for what to play on Diablo.

I definitely want to be ranged though, usually I play mages or healers but I know these games don’t have healers. But it’ll be fun to try out all the ranged and the summoner one.

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @squarezero It mentions making sure to sign into taptap to save your progress. But I’m guessing we won’t keep the beta progress and it just means to safeguard your progress while playing the beta?

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I haven’t gotten my official invite yet, so I don’t know whether my progress from the previous beta will transfer. My guess is that beta progress will disappear after the official release.

19. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    #19 Wicked8146, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  20. sharfaust

Jul 1, 2013
    Got my email invite, but the link in the email doesn’t take me to TestFlight. I’ll try again tomorrow, I guess.

Rocksaint likes this.