Universal Spacey Asteroid - Beta Testers Needed

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Potato Toot, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Potato Toot

Potato Toot Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Dec 25, 2017
    Male
    Indie Game Dev
    United States
    Hello,

I need testing of general gameplay. The game is basically Asteroids with voxel artwork (unlike Asteroids no teleporting, not yet anyway). The game is in portrait mode but requires two hands (four button set-up) so this may seem awkward. Let me know. I've tried my best to capture the original feel of the game, this means you use the buttons to rotate in either direction, apply thrust or fire. The game has quite a few different spacecraft for you to test out. They are all unlocked, so please play with all of them if you can. There may be slight differences in each ship's performance, but you may not notice it; the main differences are primarily cosmetic. Anyway, some asteroids have gold pieces in them, that's how you would be able to end up purchasing a new ship in the "locked" released version of the game. There are UFO's, but you have to advance a few levels to get to them.

I will be using this forum for feedback, so you can post here and I will respond.

I am looking for general gameplay feedback, probably the most specific thing I am concerned with would be the ship's rotational speed. Too slow is unenjoyable and too fast and you cannot accurately rotate to aim at an asteroid or UFO. Please let me know if the rotational speed seems ok. Plus, any feedback at all of anything you can think of will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure when the game will be released but I am hoping for mid December (that would be the earliest if all goes well).

Finally, I want to thank all of you that take the time to try out my game and help me improve it. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

-William aka Potato Toot

if you have any issues or just want to message me directly, you can email me at [email protected]

Link to TestFlight or go to https://testflight.apple.com/join/VxkufnuB

Here is some video of gameplay:

2. breban1

breban1 Well-Known Member

Just gave it a shot!

I liked the the graphics, and game play is very reminiscent of Asteroids (a childhood favorite of mine).

Just a few quick opinions:
    - The asteroids move so fast that the thrust doesn't seem to be all that useful. Maybe slow things down a little bit for the first few levels?
    - My hand is pretty cramped in portrait mode. I tried using my finger and thumb to fire and neither were that comfortable.
    - I would like to be able to SLIDE my finger between the left/right rotate buttons. Right now you have to release the button and press the other.

Other than that, pretty cool. I didn't get very far (284) points, but I will give it another shot tomorrow and see how I do.

3. Potato Toot

Patreon Indie

Dec 25, 2017
    Male
    Indie Game Dev
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even think about sliding fingers from left to right rotation buttons, but I will definitely fix that. I think will switch the game to landscape view instead of portrait. I will also adjust early asteroid speeds to make them a bit slower. Your feedback has been super helpful. Thanks again.

4. breban1

breban1 Well-Known Member

Played a little bit more today. A little more feedback (remember, these are just my opinions)

It is a fun game, and I wish the games were a little longer. I think if you ease up on those first few levels I could play a little bit longer before dying. I got up to 530 points, which is better, but I'm sure you score way higher. My games last about 1-2 minutes maybe right now, but I'd like to play 4-5 minutes.

Idea on the shooting... I think it may be more accessible if you have auto fire by holding the fire button, BUT if you choose not to auto fire, you can shoot faster by pressing repeatedly. Definitely don't want to upset the purists, so you may want to put that as an option instead of default, I don't know.

Being picky... it would be nice to be able to SWIPE to choose your ship instead of using the arrow buttons.

Also, a couple of the ships are really difficult to tell which way they are aiming, but that might be by design. Really cool voxel look overall.

Again, good job, it's looking really good.

5. Potato Toot

Patreon Indie

Dec 25, 2017
    Male
    Indie Game Dev
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I did think about using a swipe gesture for the ship selection. Not sure why I went with the buttons, I will probably change it. I do like the idea of auto fire, I will think some more on that one (that way, theoretically, you could apply thrust and fire at same time). I'm afraid auto fire may make the game too easy. Thanks for the valuable feedback, now I've got some fixing to do. ;)