Universal Neverwinter Nights (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1466096721

Neverwinter Nights

Overhaul Games
    Neverwinter Nights is a classic Dungeons & Dragons RPG— enhanced for iOS! Explore 100+ hours of gameplay including the o…
    $9.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Neverwinter Nights is a classic Dungeons & Dragons RPG— enhanced for iOS! Explore 100+ hours of gameplay including the original campaign, plus six free DLC adventures. Play solo or team up with friends for a grand adventure across the Forgotten Realms. DEVICE RECOMMENDATION Optimized for iPads Recommended for iPhones with screen sizes of 6 inches or larger CONTENT Neverwinter Nights (Classic Campaign) Shadows of Undrentide (Free DLC) Hordes of the Underdark (Free DLC) Kingmaker (Free DLC) ShadowGuard (Free DLC) Witch’s Wake (Free DLC) Adventure Pack (Free DLC) FEATURES Re-engineered UI for iPads and iPhones - Virtual joystick and context sensitive button makes gameplay easy - UI Scales automatically or can be set to your liking Cross-Platform Multiplayer - Adventure with friends! - Cross-play support includes compatibility with mobile, tablets, computers and consoles - Join persistent worlds, with community-run campaigns and up to 250 players Improved Graphics - Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for cleaner graphics and visuals - Adjustable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options STORY CONTENT: Neverwinter Nights (Original Campaign) You find yourself at the center of intrigue, betrayal, and dark magic in Neverwinter Nights. Journey through dangerous cities, monster filled dungeons and deep into uncharted wilderness in search of the cure for a cursed plague ravaging the city of Neverwinter. Shadows of Undrentide (Free DLC Expansion) Another adventure begins in the updated expansion, Shadows of Undrentide! Charged by your master to recover four ancient artifacts, travel from the Silver Marches to unravel mysteries of a long-dead magical civilization. Hordes of the Underdark (Free DLC Expansion) This expansion continues the adventure started in Shadows of Undrentide. Journey into the ever-more bizarre and hostile depths of Undermountain to challenge a gathering evil. Three Premium Modules (Free DLC) Discover over 40 hours of new Dungeons & Dragons adventures across the Forgotten Realms in these premium modules for Neverwinter Nights: - Kingmaker - ShadowGuard - Witch’s Wake - Adventure Pack LANGUAGES - English ©2020 Beamdog. ©2020 Wizards of the Coast LLC. All Rights Reserved. Wizards of the Coast, Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights, and D&D are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC. Hasbro and its logo are registered trademarks of HASBRO, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Information
    Seller:Overhaul Games
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Aug 12, 2020
    Updated:Nov 01, 2022
    Version:1.0.6
    Size:2.8 GB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #2 JasonLL, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    !!!

Excellent! Will have to check this out. Had the entire collection on the PC years ago and was looking forward to this coming to mobile.

For ten dollars this game has a crazy amount of value. Kinda wish we had the editor but really can’t complain since there is a bunch of content here for so little.

edit (after ten minutes of gameplay): This game looks fantastic on the iPad Pro when gameplay is actually happening. It shows a bit of its age but I think Beamdog did a really great job with the visual aspect. The cinematic videos are in the old native resolution so they didn’t age too well but everything else looks really good so far.

edit 2: I am impressed that the shadowing seems to be in full effect like I remember from the PC days. I know the modern day mobiles are much more powerful than computers in Neverwinter’s day but I remember having a bit of slowdown issues with my computer at the time. Although the game eats through my iPads battery...but I expected that. Also like the scalable UI and the various control/camera modes. My Xbox wireless controller doesn’t work with the game, which doesn’t bother me, but it will be a deal breaker for some people.

3. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Based on app store screens this looks full screen on iphone X models...is this the case?

Ijipop likes this.
  4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Holy crap, I loved neverwinter nights! One of my favourite RPG games from my early teen years along with baulders gate. I mean this is a no brainier if it works well enough on iOS.

5. RoRo123

RoRo123 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Male
    No French language planned ?

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Damn!

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    From the app description: "Recommended for iPhones with screen sizes of 7 inches or larger"

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Which iphone has a screen bigger than 7 inches? I thought the bigger is 6,5 inches?

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What’s this game like ? Baldurs gate with a joystick ? Is it more arcadey or similar to Baldurs ?

shame it seems like it should be iPad only

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    It’s been about 20 years since I’ve played this maybe a bit less but from memory it’s very similar to Baulders Gate, it’s not arcade like at all. It’s a deep RPG game and on pc was controlled exactly like baulders gate no joystick or anything.

Very solid game if you enjoy RPG games.

psj3809 likes this.
  11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I think this one specifically mentions a joystick doesn’t it? Thought this one is different than Baldur’s Gate in that you control a character and not an entire party. Still not “arcade” because there’s a lot more to it.

Edit: yeah, description says virtual joystick

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I can only speak for the original I can’t speak for what changes they have made to fit iOS like you saying about this having a joystick sorry.

From what I remember combat was a kind of turn based with a deep skill system like you’d expect with a d&d game.

I loved the second game was it where you could build up your own castle also.

13. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    What an amazing time to be alive. I can't believe this is in my POCKET.

ste86uk, Ijipop and Talbs like this.
  14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Wholly Molly! So I knew this was in development at Beamdog, but even just seeing it released now I have to pinch myself. What an amazing time to be alive with games like this in our pocket!

Only ever got to look over the shoulder of a friends brother playing this at their house so now I get to give it a go myself.

And I should really finish off BG1 and 2 though. Again, an amazing time for mobile gaming.

ste86uk likes this.
  15. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    It is on my 11

16. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I wish this had iCloud so I could go between phone and iPad, but I guess it’s way better on iPad.

17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    There’s a youtube from Appwrapper that goes for about 45min, but unfortunately it is only the tutorial and is quite boring to watch and could actually turn a lot of people off the game unfortunately. Also the video quality seems quite bad (hopefully it’s her video and not the actual game).

Also I saw in the AppStore, next to the price, that there is mention of inn-app purchases but no mention of what they were anywhere....... unless it refers to the free dlc?

18. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    @ stubbieoz: there is a richly filled store section with dlc when you open the game

@everyone else: has anyone found out how to buy / install the dlc? I would love to get everything right now sink into this great game for the next few 100 hours. But there is no buy button to be found?

19. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    If the store description is correct, all the DLCs are supposed to be in the package.
    It seems they aren’t available yet though.
    The main and 2 additional campaigns should keep you long enough until they become available.

DLC menu seems like straight out from PC though, asking to put files into the game folder.

20. Peerless

Peerless Member

Jun 14, 2016
    #20 Peerless, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Yes the App Store says there are free modules included. There’s no way to enable or install them though. Cut and paste job from Touch Arcade : “The base game on iOS is $9.99 and features the full original campaign as well as six(!) free DLC packs: Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, Witch’s Wake, and Adventure Pack.

UPDATE: Dlc is now available. However game still crashes when trying to learn spells from scrolls.