GameClub games already out :-0 ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Alex Wolf, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    #1 Alex Wolf, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    I recently found some gameclub games in my purchase history , following games i was able to redownlod again thx to gameclub:

plunderland
    adventure company
    Glorkian warrior
    King chashing 2
    Mage gauntlet

has anyone else also noticed that old games are resurrected by gameclub already?

The old games have the gameclub logo in the app icon now and and the description of the app in the appstore is also added with a few lines by the gameclub company

Attached Files:

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, we all know that, they are re-publishing old classics under their brand.

you can re-play them, but with a subscription, not fully like in the original version.

anyway, if you bought them at the time, you should also have the original version on your purchase list (at least some of them).

Alex Wolf likes this.
  3. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    u said you can replay them with a subscription.: if i search gameclub on the appstore no games show up . Only in my purchase histor

4. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #4 Gwarmaxx, Sep 23, 2019
    weird, some of them was available recently on the AppStore!
    in my case, ie if i search for Sword of Fargoal, i find both versions, the original and the GameClub one that i've downloaded from the AppStore some months ago (even if it never officially came out, was available for a couple of days only), and it has subscriptions.
    anyway, i can't and don't care to understand devs and publishers moves, all of them have a very twisted mind imo.

5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

Attached Files:

6. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Nobody’s going to want to “rent” these old games. Now if they had some way of recompiling all your old purchases to work with current hardware/software, THAT would be something worth paying for.

I’m pretty sure they were planning on charging $5/month for Game Club until Apple came out at that price point for scores of brand new games. They’re probably scrambling to figure out what to do now.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Bit harsh. I'm sure from the feedback they have was that people were keen hence they got a ton of backers and raised a lot of money. I lost loads of games to the 'app-pocalypse' , hundreds. If i can get some of those old favourites back i'm happy and so far theres quite a few i'm happy about. I hope they get to resurrect loads more.

Not everyone wants new games, some people do like old games ! Same for retro games where people pay tons to play them. Granted the Apple Arcade price is low, another company Playond has been buying up games to do a 'GamesClub' and theyre charging $9.99 a month so be interesting to see how that goes.

I'm enjoying whats available and in the near future, Apple Arcade for new games and i hope GamesClub is great for older favourite games i used to play. Considering how much i spend on premier games every month if anything i'm saving money at the moment

8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #8 Gwarmaxx, Sep 23, 2019
    talking about devs and publishers, can you believe that i've just emailed Kotobuki Solution/Kemco guys 'cause they are pulling a lot of games without giving us at least one last chance to buy them on sale?!?!
    do you look like normal people???
    i say, wouldn't it be more normal and profitable, for both them and us customers, to make a final sale before taking them off????????
    at $0.99/1.99 i would have bought them all (specially Symphony of Origin, Alphadia 1 and 2, etc), had them on my wishlist for a long time but couldn't spend 5 or 8 bucks each, and also in the last two years they have no longer made the sales they used to do in the past.

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You’re a fool if you think you own anything from the App Store. Apple specifically says “Apps made available through the App Store are licensed, not sold, to you.” You’re renting everything until the developer decides to pull it, or change the app and lock content behind additional paywalls, or simply not update it to keep pace with your hardware. I’ll gladly pay $5 per month for access to an entire growing catalogue of quality indie games. Apple Arcade is great, and a hell of a bargain, but there is most definitely a market for Game Club as well. I really don’t know how big of a market but there is one.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Ownership of all digital media (even downloaded and backed up...holy shit, remember when that was a thing we could do with App Store purchases?) will always be an iffy topic. In terms of the App Store, I've fully come to terms with all the implications related to owning apps, and will always never have a problem spending money for...well, licenses to play shit, but at the same time I'm no longer attached to the apps I own. I've said this at least a few dozen times in the last 3 or so years since we've lost the ability to back shit up, but we live in an age of the App Store where it's no longer necessary to keep apps you don't want to play anymore on your devices. Forget Apple Arcade for a second (seriously, it probably is the best thing to ever happen to the App Store), and just enjoy apps you've bought, play them to your heart's content and then delete the little (or massive) ****ers once you're done with them. If you want to guarantee access to certain games forever, seek them out on physical media or a more concrete platform. The chances of you ever losing a game on GOG (or being able to play it later down the line), for example, are slim to none.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm quite 'attached' to my apps ! Got over 1000 games on my phone, LOVE app dipping and playing one here and there. But yeah a bit like you i've 'accepted' that i wont have these forever. At some point 'ios 25' will no doubt be 128 bit apps and we'll lose lots or something. Not the worst thing really

I do think the app stores had a huge rebirth thanks to Apple arcade. Again said it before but its sooo weird playing a game without tons of currencies/ad's and other freemium crap. So refreshing ! Didnt realise Google was doing the same thing, gave up on Android games a while back due to the huge amount of crap out there.

Everythings going digital and i'm great with that, rarely buy dvds anymore, buy digital films (and love Plex ;) and same for gaming

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    That's the plan already. If you previously owned any of the games that are part of GameClub, you'll get the updated and fixed versions as a free update without having to be a subscriber. There are certain instances where this will be tricky (for example what is happening with Bastion right now) but wherever possible if you were a previous owner you'll get your old game back in working condition for nothing.

Of course, the HOPE is that this will create goodwill and those previous owners will look into why their old games are magically working again and find out more about GameClub and hopefully subscribe, but still, it's a pretty cool move.

13. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I got an email from Game Club today and among other things, it said this: "If you already purchased any of the games in the GameClub library, you will get our updates for free. No one will need to re-buy anything with GameClub. If you bought a game like Hook Champ, use the same App Store account you bought it with you and restore purchases inside the game. We will have an onboarding flow that should hopefully make this as easy as possible, and with some games it will just be detected automatically without you needing to do anything."

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Also the price is great. $4.99, same as Apple Arcade. Cheap as chips to play some old favourites. Hope its a success as we then should get more and more games back again

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So I used to own super crate box. Downloaded it now. So how do I get past this and access it again?

Do we have to first make an account then?

https://imgur.com/a/NNTKUXp

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    GameClub is starting to roll out in the US. I've created a thread for their "hub" app here and figure that can also be used for any general GameClub discussion: https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/official-gameclub-app-by-gameclub.401586/

Feel free to resurrect any of the existing threads for games that are part of GameClub now to discuss those, and if you notice any threads that are no longer available then let me know and I'll dig them up.

Zwilnik likes this.