3GS exclusive games + The perfect iphone controls for hardcore games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Super Mario Galaxy doesn't use shaders, shadows, doesn't use many polygons even. It just uses vibrant colors and people assume it's a graphical powerhouse. It's not. At the end of the day, God of War: Chains of Olympus on the PSP is a more graphically advanced game than Super Mario Galaxy.

Don't take my word for it. Talk to the developers.

Many developers have come out and said that the iPhone is way way more powerful than the PSP. It's all over kokatu and other gaming sites.

As someone who own both a Wii and a PSP, I have yet to see a single Wii game anywhere that looks better than God of War: Chains of Olympus for the PSP.

And the iPhone 3GS can definately pull off Conduit level graphics (currently the most graphically impressive game on the Wii).

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Joke account confirmed.

But, if actually serious, joke of a poster confirmed.

:p

3. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    May I ask, do you actually have God of War Chains of Olympius and Super Mario Galaxy. Do you anything about graphics.

I have both games, and side by side while both games look just as good, it's clear that while Super Mario Galaxy uses brighter colors, it's pushing less polygons, has fewer objects on screen, and is generally less of a technical achievement.

4. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Just to play along....

Yes, I do.

Apparently more than you.

But, then again, it's quite clear that you don't know much at all, so in that light it's not that big a deal. :p

And, just to get serious for a moment, here is where you're entire "point" falls apart in just one stroke:

Wii's max resolution for games is enhanced definition (ED) 480p. Super Mario Galaxy outputs at that resolution, and was developed for that resolution.

PSP's max resolution for games is LD (low definition) 272p. That includes God of War.

Why is this important?

Because if PSP games were developed for 480p output everyone would see that the system isn't as powerful as ANY of the last gen consoles (DC, PS2, GC, or XBox) let alone the Wii, which is Nintendo's current gen product. The graphics for PSP games strongly benefit from development for 272p . Why? Because games are developed for LD output, the processing power can be used more effectively. If the games were designed for ED output, the higher resolution alone would put more of a strain (considerably so) on the processors and internal hardware, with the end result being that the games wouldn't look as good as they do now or run as well.

The resolution, btw, effects just about everything. Those textures in God of War Chains of Olympus? LD resolution. Those textures in Mario Galaxy? ED resolution. The latter is more processor intensive than the former. The games on the former are LD. Why do you think they're border boxed when outputting to a TV set?

5. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ouch!!!

6. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #26 wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, way to sucker people who can't compare it for themselves. You mentioned the black borders, but have you actually seen it. I frequently connect the PSP to my tv with the TV out and God of War still look crazy impressive and is still very clearing pushing more polygons and graphical effects than Galaxy. I suggest trying it yourself and getting back to me.

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Just to keep playing along....

Yes.

What part of me having played both didn't you understand?

No...it's not. It also doesn't have textures in as high a resolution as Mario Galaxy, and it, again, is running in low definition as opposed to the enhanced definition used in Mario Galaxy and pretty much all Wii games which, again, isn't used in ANY PSP game, which, again, provides evidence that PSP is not a powerhouse system that stacks up to any current gen system, even the Wii. Hell, as I pointed out, it doesn't even stack up to the last gen consoles. It is what it is, which is a powerful portable, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's more.

Again, what part of me saying I played both didn't you get?

I'm assuming you have learned to read written words, as you are responding...but have you learned to understand that which is written? Judging by your responses so far, one would conclude that you have yet to reach that level of your education. :p

8. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    A little off topic but was stated in the beginning:

Yes they are making iPhone controls for the device.

And really man, I don't know much about processors and all that stuff but I do know one thing: iPhone is NOT better than the Wii. As much as I would like it to be, it isn't.

9. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Exclusive 3GS games for exclusive prices.

10. ICDragon

ICDragon New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Yay my first post!

Anyways there are a few things you guys are forgetting about the Iphone's power...

The problem with the Iphone (much like the pc), is that it runs games through a complex OS that is taking up a good deal of power already. Games running on video game consoles are able to make full use of the power. The PS2 is a weak ass machine, and yet developer's squeezed every bit of processing power out of the thing (not to mention some cheap tricks) that kept it visually on par with most mid-high end PCs (before current gen consoles).

The second problem is the lack of a dedicated GPU to handle the workload. The Wii's processor may only be running at 729mhz (which might i remind you are solely dedicated to running games), but it also has a dedicated 243mhz GPU.

One advantage the iphone and psp have over the wii are the display sizes. Although the actual resolution output for the iphone is not much smaller, it is displayed on a smaller screen and thus will look better then on a big tv.

Just a few thoughts...

BTW: for whoever thinks that GOW: Chains of Olympus looks better then Super Mario Galaxy... Please find out what GOW looks like on a large screen and tell me if the graphics can still measure up

I thought not...