3GS exclusive games + The perfect iphone controls for hardcore games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    First, with the recent news that the iPhone 3GS indeed includes 256 mbs of ram, a much faster processer, a much more current graphics card, I hope devs make some iPhone 3GS exclusive games that take advantage of the extra power. According to devs, the 3GS is FAR FAR more powerful than the PSP, PS2 and Gamecube were!!

I would love to see EA's upcoming Red Alert take full advantage of the 3GS's power.

But the bigger question is, how should such games aimed for the hardcore gamers control?

I think I have a some simple solutions.

First, there should be two circles/joysticks in the bottom to corner that you can move around slightly with your finger, and serve as dual analog nubs. Functionally, they would be identical to the analog nub found on the PSP.

Second, a flick of your wrist/iphone to the right should be analogous to pressing the right shoulder buttons on the PSP/DS and even Wii, and a flick of your wrist to the left should be analogous to pressing the left shoulder button on the PSP/DS.

And lastly, two buttons above each touch based analog nub would give you the psp all the functionality found in the PSP, DS and even Wii (actually more functionality since it essentially would have dual analog nubs).

And all these buttons should be at the most extreme ends of both devices so that they give you a full unobstructed view of most of the screen.

Is anyone making such a gaming iphone shells with dual analog nubs, shoulder buttons, and one that looks as sexy as the iphone?

Something like this that I found...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielmacdonald/2127089390/

Before, this controller idea would've failed. But now, the iPhone's brand new 3.0 OS allows apps downloaded from the app store to use add on peripherals like this controller. There is a race right now among hardware manufacturers to be the first to create an awesome gaming peripheral for the iphone thats a hit.

Also...

Whoever makes the iphone's first gaming addon, three requirements are must haves...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS (and shoulder trigger buttons).

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. People don't like large bulky addons. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.

What do you guys think?

2. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Oops, I just realized this might not be the ideal section for this thread. If this isn't the right place for this thread, mods please feel free to move it.

3. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    This should probably be in the lounge. But anyways with 3.0 you will be able to use gaming peripherals with the dock connecter.

4. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #4 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Yes, but is anyone making a gaming iphone shells with dual analog nubs, shoulder buttons, and one that looks as sexy as the iphone? If anyone can pull that off and get a lot of support for such a peripheral, it would be apple.

Are any game developers even supporting such gaming iphone shells yet?

5. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah, if they could sort out an official "apple" attachment it would be good, as of now all the unique control schemes would need to be unified for it to be feasible.

6. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    devs make some iPhone 3GS exclusive games

For the exclusive owners?

7. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Nice, gonna buy it straight when its out here in Belgium. :)

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This is where I stopped reading.

9. Kyoshin

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    C'mon, there are even more jokes ! xD

10. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008

We'll expect you back.

"Hey, why aren't there any games for this new iphone to take advantage of the new tech"

"Hey, I ran out of money so even if there were games I can't afford them"

:)

11. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Maybe if you found out about the Wii spec's you wouldn't be laughing.

The wii features the Broadway processor that runs at 720 mhz (compared to 620 mhz for the iphone) with the same L1 and L2 cache as the iphone, a smaller Bus the the iphone 3GS's processor and only one pipeline rather than the two found in the iphone!

It's not funny, its sad that nintendo released such a weak console.

12. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Given company profits, no it isn't.

13. Kyoshin

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Rofl? Kinda jealous or something? Its kinda oblivious no that they gonna work with openGL 2.0

14. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #14 wikoogle, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    I'm sorry, are you an Nintendo stock owner. Because that's the only reason you should be happy with Nintendo making profits by screwing over their gaming fanbase.

As a previous Nintendo fan and a Wii owner, I feel shafted by Nintendo. But I can't sell it off since my GF loves Wii Fit for some reason.

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I guess your GF is part of Nintendo's fanbase! :rolleyes::eek:

16. Kyoshin

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Whats wrong with Nintendo lol.. After the most boring E3 presentation, its a good company.

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Power isn't all about hardware. You have to consider the GPU, how the software utilizes the power, and the schematics. When the iPhone can match these graphics, we'll talk.

[​IMG]

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't know about him, but I'm still laughing at ya!

:p

The Wii also uses an entirely different type of CPU than the iPhone 3Gs.

You should know that you simply CANNOT directly compare two processors based on clock speed alone when they are of entirely different sorts of architecture.

The Wii uses a PowerPC processor. The iPhone 3Gs uses an ARM processor. Not comparable. The latter is meant mainly for the mobile sector.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Probably won't be doing that.

However, it will be able to pull of shaders, which the Wii doesn't do (Wii, like Gamecube before it, uses TEVs - Texture EnVironments, which are like shaders but not as flexible). And the polys per second have a considerable increase.

So...might not pull off Wii type stuff, but it could possibly pull off better than Dreamcast type stuff. Which ain't bad at all considering the current iTouch/Phone line couldn't really pull off DC type stuff (the current hardware is like a mid point between PSone and DC, tbqh).

Plus the new hardware should be able to decode HD video @ 720p, which is nice. Maybe Apple felt the need to do this early because MS announced the ZuneHD, and apparently MS is gonna try to make a Zune Phone using that type of hardware.

20. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    You'd have to be a moron to think that the iPhone 3GS will be capable of better than wii graphics. Check out the spec for the PS1, and perhaps you'll understand that direct comparisons of processor speed/memory is very foolish.