3GS - 3G solutions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by WOW_GEE, Jun 20, 2009.

1. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    #1 WOW_GEE, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    The 3GS has a few major selling points. And as i was looking them over, i realized there is a workaround for almost every one of them for the 3G.

THE 3GS HAS:

Voice Dialing.

THE 3G SOLUTION:

The free app, "Vlingo." Its an excellent voice dialer app that works fantastic, and you can also use it to google, wikipedia, or yahoo whatever you want, find anything in your area, and update your social networking websites, just by talking.

THE 3GS HAS:

A Compass

THE 3G SOLUTION:

The app "compass free." If you are in the sunlight, it can accuratley tell you what direction you are facing. Besides, with the 3G's google maps capabilities, how much will you use a compass anyway?

THE 3GS HAS:

3.0 Megapixel camera

THE 3G SOLUTION:

The app, "pro camera." I know you can't make the 3g camera as good as the 3gs, but the pictures taken on the 3g are actually of good, decent quality and the pro camera app stops the shaky look that you sometimes get.

THE 3GS HAS:

Video Recording

THE 3G SOLUTION:

Cycorder. The app DOES require you to jailbreak your phone, so some may opt out of doing this. However, the video is of decent quality and the option for video recording IS out there on the 3G, NOT just the 3GS.

THE 3GS HAS:

A Faster processor and more powerful internals

THE 3G SOLUTION:

Okay, for this, there really is none, and I will admit, the faster processor does kick some ass. However, youtube "iphone 3gs speed test" and watch the comparisons between the 3g and 3gs; in regular apps, the 3gs wins by a second or two, and in games (seen on the front page) sure it takes longer to load, but is that 8 or 9 seconds spent worth getting a whole new phone?

Hope this helped some people out, and i'm not trying to be "anti-3gs," but for some who are content with their 3g (like i am) here are some workarounds to help you get similar effects out of your 3g as a 3gs.

2. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    well done on that list but i think people just plain and simple "like brand new shiny things made by apple"

3. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks for the list. A friend of mine just gave me his 3G yesterday when he got his 3GS.

4. WOW_GEE

Jan 2, 2009
    Personally, i'm really happy with my 3g. Sure, if a 3GS was given to me of course i'd take it, but I just made this list to show that you could have some of the same capabilities on the 3G as the 3GS despite the processor difference.

5. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I wasn't going to upgrade to the 3G S (I didnt think it really added that much, puls I really dont like the plastic look) but after seeing the speed comparisons I changed my mind - I was using a 2G iPhone and ended up qualifying for the discounted price at AT&T

6. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Same thing over here

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I agree. I think 3G to 3GS is not such a huge difference. Will wait for the next iPhone.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What do I download for my 3G to double the framerate of all games and make apps open instantly? ;)

9. WOW_GEE

Jan 2, 2009
    haha unfortunatley theres "no app for that."

Don't get me wrong, the 3GS is awesome for what it does, but personally (and especially since i already own a 3g) i didn't think the changes warranted me going out and immediately purchasing it.

10. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    This the main reason I'm getting one next week after all the craziness dies down.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I wish I had some tree-hugger for a friend that was getting the 3GS.

"I'm getting a new iPhone, but I don't want to pollute the environment."
    "Me neither, pal. I'm there for ya, I'll take this unbiodegradable phone from you."
    "Oh, --------! You're my here!" Obviously, I'm imagining the tree-hugger to be somewhat good lookin' ;)
    "Oh, why, anything for mother nature. *chuckles under breath while embracing*"

12. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    It literally takes my iPhone 3G one second to open an app. How much faster are you hoping to open apps on your idevice? If you're going from a ipod touch 1st or 2nd gen then I can justify the upgrade. But going going from a 3G to 3G S only for speed is a waste. BTW, all my games run good so I can't see myslef getting 3G S for speed alone.