3G Toggle App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cchandy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cchandy

cchandy New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I dont know if this would even be possible, but I would love it if I could have an app (or basically just a home screen button) that could toggle my 3G setting on/off.

Expanding on the same idea, if there could be a location services toggle that would be great too!

Does anyone know if this is possible for developers to do?

2. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

Speaking as a registered iPhone developer, Apple's iPhone SDK prohibits such behavior, unfortunately.

R-Fly

3. jeremydb

jeremydb New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

I would pay for this app without hesitation if it were available. It takes five clicks to turn on and off the 3G connection. Settings/General/Network/3G toggle/Home button. With this app it would take just one click to turn it both on and off. In places with spotty 3G coverage, which is most places at the moment, this app would be a call saver.

4. Mullet

Mullet Member

Jul 14, 2008
    That's funny... I was thinking about a simple app that would do this today. Well at this point I think it's up to Apple to come up with a better solution than 5 clicks. It's a little annoying to have to navigate to the 3G switch every time I realize the signal sucks. Perhaps this wouldn't be necessary if Apple's iPhone OS did a better job of switching over to EDGE when the 3G network doesn't have a decent signal.

~Mullet

5. rustyjaw

rustyjaw Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Really, all Apple needs to do is implement a version of the OS X "Location" feature to switch network settings and allow users to create presets. They must realize the demand for this, I can only assume it's on the "to do" list - hopefully right under Copy/Paste.

6. jeremydb

jeremydb New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    3G double tap

What about being able to double tap the 3G or E symbol next to the carrier text and then to be presented with a 3G toggle?

7. KyPosey

KyPosey New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    seems like that would be a really good idea.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    the only reason this wouldn't be possible is if Apple won't allow it.

Apps like BTswitch have been out for quite some time, tapping the icon turn bluetooth on and off. There is also one for edge (VERY useful to avoid data charges overseas) and 3g (great for saving battery life)

9. planetMitchdotCom

planetMitchdotCom New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    That is a great idea. I would love to have a 'battery saving' location setting that would set up my iPhone the way i wanted. Perfect!

Maybe we need to tell apple about this?
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

i just filled out mine :)

10. ldkaplan

ldkaplan Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    It would go a long way toward improving the image of poor battery life.

11. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    JB the phone and install SBSettings from Cydia.

12. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Apps like wi-finder can search for and connect to wireless networks from within the app itself, so i can't see any reason why apple would want to prohibit control over the 3G connection from within an app.

13. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    If you guys jailbroke you would have access to all this and more.

14. oticon6

oticon6 Member

Aug 6, 2008
    What Apple needs to do is create a universal double-tap menu... instead of just iTunes buttons, have:
    - iTunes control
    - Wireless on/off and network selection
    - 3G on/off
    - Bluetooth on/off and list of devices
    - The battery life remaining (in TIME) based on the rate of usage in the last hour