3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Um...you DO realize gaming's moved on since the early '90s?
    The Wii's graphics generally suck, but Mario's are actually pretty good. Oh, and the games do have music. :p

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This is why Nintendo has been in such a damn good position, unlike the competition. You can't beat this outlook.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's actually marketing 101 (see Philip Kotler's on On Marketing for example). You can be sure that all the major players think in similar terms. Some (read Sony) fail to follow through on that idea, but their marketing managers are very much aware of the true scope of the competition.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well that can't be true though because MS and Sony are currently in reactionary mode and has been since last year. Everyone knows it's marketing 101 the problem is very few actually live by it especially when they're pushed up against the wall and someone else has the winning product.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Too true. My point was that that wasn't an original insight and you can bet the CEO's of Sony and MS speak in similar terms. The difference is that Nintendo (and Apple, for that matter) follows through on it.

6. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Gah, this is what makes me anticipate 3D...

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-157-1276759587-e3-2010-pilotwings-resort-nintendo-3ds.html
    http://www.gamexplain.com/article-149-1276729512-e3-2010-star-fox-3ds-nintendo-3ds.html

I remember when I used a demo 3D tech at the VR lab at my university years ago. Typical VR demo of walking around a basic virtual living room with objects you could pick up, rotate and even throw. I was amazed how after only a few times it became second nature to accurately throw objects (into a virtual bucket). When the 3D display was switched off I couldn't make one single shot (and it was a pain in the arse to position your arm right to connect to objects to pick them up). I always did wonder what it would be like if games were to ever use it... good to know we are finally here.

If Namco get their act together with that Ridge Racer game I'll be over the moon (my drifting skills can be cranked up all the way to 11!).

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah, I can see the 3D working well for racing and flying games.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and that's why no one listens to your opinion. If you listed 100 reasons it'd be pretty clear you're talking nothing but utter bull. You hate the games just for the sake of hating them and pick up on any insignificant detail you can in order to try and justify your totally unjustified hatred. If a Mario game were released that you totally adored in every way, shape and form, you'd still hate it, for no other reason than you have to.

9. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Hey if you don't prefer a certain game then there is no problem with that, however just because you do not like it does not then exclude it from the rest of the medium. Very silly way of thinking, that.

10. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Mind if I say WTF on behalf of every Brazilian fan and the honest Ivory Coast fans?

Kaka is a very honest player, one of the best and to send him off for such a minor foul is absurd. In fact, a foul that didn't even happen is just appauling. He clearly didn't put his hand into the guy's face; he just used his hand to defend himself as every typical player would.

The referee looked to see the reactions of the Ivory Coast players and based his decision on that. Terrible refereeing for such a major tournament. FIFA will undoubtedly redeem Kaka and hopefully suspend the Ivory Coast [cheating] player for their last match.

Anywho - BRAZIL ARE THROUGH. :D

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Wrong thread, right? :p I put my views on that in the WC thread too, ha.

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    3DS Released in All Markets March 31st, 2011

Link.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Well they said it would be released BY March 2011, not IN, meaning it could be released anytime up until then. I already had confidence that it would be out by the end of the fiscal year, but hey, I guess this is confirmation. And confirmation is always nice.

14. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    In other words, Japan gets it in January, and the rest of the world spaced out throughout February and March.

15. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #175 GDSage, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Doubt it, it is likely to follow the successful launch dates of the original DS. So...

North America - November 21, 2010
    Japan - December 2, 2010
    Europe - March 11, 2011

Europe release may be bumped forward to an earlier date since Nintendo has made such a huge market of it with the DS and Wii and in Iwata's own words is becoming their most receptive market (which was not the case before DS launched which is why it launched there last).

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If they even dared delay the EU release by a whole four months practically everyone east of the US would resort to importing. DS games were region free so I'm thinking there's a chance 3DS games will be too... might as well get yer console as soon as possible.

17. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    That honestly wouldn't be a good idea on Nintendo's part... They should launch it in November so that way they would be selling alot more because Xmas is right around the corner.

18. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    System will be out this year in Japan, and probably March 15 2011 in the US.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #179 GDSage, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Resident Evil Revelations real-time demo trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIpy8Wq06U

It uses the Capcom MT Framework engine which has now been adapted for the 3DS platform (the same engine Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter IV, etc use).

20. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    That looks terrible. This looks better:

[​IMG]

I kid, I kid. RE looks unbelievable. At first I thought I was watching CG, but no, that's in-game. If that's how a first gen game looks like, I can't fathom how good the games in a couple years are going to look on that little beast.