3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    True, but it gives a similar effect. Why does it matter if the graphics are popping out of the screen or going deeper into the screen? It's a 3D effect either way, only this one has the advantage of looking the same from multiple angles. I've seen a bunch of 3D films at the cinema now each using different 3D technologies and all of them end up slightly blurred and disorientated if you're not looking at them in the right way. I'd rather go with faux-3D and have a crystal clear image.

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #122 GDSage, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    It's nowhere near the same thing though. That DSi game is just about you shifting your perception. You're still only seeing 2D.

With 3D you're perceiving depth of objects without having to shift your perception. A ball actually has the curve and depth of a ball to the point you feel you can reach out and touch it. That DSi game cannot achieve that, it's basically just like manipulating a camera with an analog stick.

In the Metal Gear Solid demo as Snake is crawling in the grass, as you pass the grass it is coming out of the screen and past your perspective. It feels as though you're moving through the grass. In the distance there are multiple layers of depth for the environment and everything is not sharing the same 2D space, the tree just ahead of you actually looks like it is placed differently than the large rock face behind it and all have a tangible 'roundness' to them.

As I just said before, parallax barrier is better than in the cinemas because you don't have glasses to wash out colours. The 3D is vibrant and clear.

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well, 2D or not, I think the effect it gives is far better than most of the 3D tech I've seen to date, though admittedly I haven't seen the one the 3DS uses. Surely the downside to that though is that there's a limit to how much depth the 3D effect has? With the 2D one you've got complete freedom over how deep you want the view to be.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You have control of the 3D depth on the 3DS as well, that is what the 3D slider is for.

Plus for that DSi game there is no actual depth.

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Damn, those rumors about being able to install games to the system are great. Nikkei is a pretty reliable source, so it must be true :D

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Tales of Symphonia?

What TOS game for 3DS? Don't get my hopes up over nothing :(

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Damn this actually looks...Promising..Lol

8. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I don't recall TOS being announced. I could be wrong, though.

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I've been reading impressions for a couple of days and almost everyone seems to think it is the biggest thing to hit gaming in years. Great stuff.

10. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Not yet, but Bandai Namco was announced as a developer of the platform, so it should be coming sooner or later.

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    But it hasn't been announced, so people shouldn't just assume it will arrive.

12. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #132 GDSage, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    Yeah, I doubt ToS would come. When it comes to the Tales series Namco Bandai is pretty much just focused on the JPN market now. There are three mainline Tales games this generation yet to be released in the West (and another three spinoffs)... put simply those titles aren't coming over at all.

Namco Bandai has been in dire straits this generation. All of their biggest IPs (Tekken Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer, Tales) are in decline, major decline in some cases. The publisher will try to take advantage of the 3D and 3DS craze by porting Ridge Racer and Tekken since it would be easy to do so but those titles won't perform particularly well (perhaps better than the last iterations but nothing on the former glory).

No, Namco Bandai has finally woken up and realised they need new IPs and so far it has worked for them. God Eater for the PSP has sold nearly 700k copies in Japan. The publisher isn't going to stop here they are publishing Enslaved and are looking into building further new IP. Of course anime-licensed properties will still be their thing also.

Tekken and the like will still be made but those series will be given less priorities. In the case of Tales you can pretty much expect it to be Japan only from now on (one may cross over once every blue moon).

13. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Even if it were not 3D it would be great.

If I want an awesome 3D gaming experience I'd go for the ASUS G53 3D laptop. Awesome machine.

The 3DS is still great BTW, but the name looks like 3GS :p.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    DS games are all region free so if the 3DS continues the trend and you're really determined for ToS it's possible you could import and read a translation.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

16. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    It may be the first person (second actually) complaining about the effect I've seen. My conclusions? These people have terrible eyes and need to get a surgery.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #137 GDSage, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    That says it all. 3D won't work properly unless you have two relatively healthy eyes. If you have a weak eye you will need glasses in order to level it with your other eye.

Even with the other few negative impressions from other sites (which only noted on the viewing range) none shared this article writers impressions. This is the only one to have this impression.

As for the Ridge Racer demo, everybody said the same thing. It had nothing to do with the hardware but of Namco's obviously sloppy way of handling the 3D.

I'm not sure why the writer thought it would be different the next time. Our perception of depth is a commonly known concept, one would have thought he would realise his weak eye and without the aid of glasses was the cause.

18. ipod's rock

ipod's rock Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Does anyone know when it will be out?
    Or the price?:confused:

Thanks

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Before March 2011

Price is TBA but considering this is Nintendo it is likely to be less than $200

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Know info on Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS

- Can of course be displayed in 3D

- Aonuma has stated it is a retelling / remake of the original

- The obvious: models, textures and effects (lighting, shadows) have all been remade.

- Higher poly count for characters (looking Smah Bros Melee-like in detail), higher poly count for landscapes (now smooth for hills, etc), foliage no longer sprites and now made of polys

- Apparently will feature updated music and sound effects (at the very least the title music is updated)

- Sports a good amount of AA, everything is sharp and clear

- Has been reported even the interior of Hyrule Town is remade with in-game engine so no blurry prerendered scenes (so to take advantage of the 3D screen)

- Aonuma is all too aware of the clunky menu navigation of equipping / unequipping boots in Water Temple and this pacing issue will be rectified (notes Skyward Sword for streamlined inventory)

- Will feature changes in dungeons, item placement, enemy placement