3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... what?! Microsoft went on and on about groundbreaking technology and 3D sensors. I'm kinda worried they're gonna be releasing a premature product along with they're underdeveloped games.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I've got no time for Kinect at all. Move, possibly... but all Kinect seems to be offering me is dancing games, yoga games and virtual pet games.

3. jacksoncombs

jacksoncombs Well-Known Member

these look like xbox 360 graphics, i really want this, resident evil, street fighter, zelda. i had all the old nintendo systems and a gamecube. this looks better than them all

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The more I learn about the Kinect, the more it seems like a dumb idea. It might be fun for the first couple hours, but I'm sure the gimmick will wear off pretty quickly for many users. They'll probably end up thinking "Why the f*ck am I standing up, moving around to play this game when I could be comfortably sitting down with a controller in my hand?". The Xbox 360 is a hardcore gaming console for hardcore gamers, so I doubt it will sell very well. Anyone who wants a casual "move about like a retard" game should just get the Wii (even though I personally hate it).

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think MS aim to change that. They want the 360 to appeal to everyone judging by their Kinect promos. Slightly worrying but the hardcore games will never die.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I tried the 3DS today for the 20 minute allotment they were giving press members. The 3D effect is really cool if you're holding the device properly, but once you get out of the sweet spot it's so incredibly disorienting I had to sit down after the demo because I was feeling queasy and my head hurt. Your eyes try so hard to focus on the slightly out of focus two images it REALLY reminds me of playing the Virtual Boy.

7. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    so...was it bad then? is the 3d worth it?

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Did you read what I posted?

9. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Did you try it with the 3D off? If so, is it basically the same as a normal DS or do you see 2 pictures or something.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    More confirmation of my fears. Nevertheless... great line up and an option for 2D gaming :)

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeah, with the 3D off it's just a DS with two different aspect ratio screens. The 3D effect is pretty amazing if you're holding the device properly, but I almost never sit holding my DS in front of my face when I'm playing it. I'm usually cocked to the side, laying in bed, or something else. That's the beauty of portable devices. Requiring you to hold the device within the 3D sweet spot to see the 3D effect seems like a SERIOUS design flaw.

12. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Well that can be a turn-off but I can't really complain when you consider the graphics/crap-load of awesome games coming to the handheld. When you say "two different aspect ratio screens" do you mean like there would be two pictures next to each other or normal 2D like a DS? And any word on the release date? Itf it's in 2011 then they still have some time to work on it.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yep, I was gonna mention the drop-dead amazing line-up coming out. 3D or not (along with all the other handy but lesser known features), this isn't really a console any of us want to miss. If MGS and Ocarina of Time doesn't convince you, than Tales of Symphonia and a new Super Paper Mario sure as hell will. I think by different aspect ratios, there's one screen layered on top of another, and the top's probably smaller. Not totally sure, though.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    He means the two screens are different sizes (top and bottom). Both 2D.

15. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Ya, I never really got to experience Zelda:OoT, Paper Mario, Starfox and tons of great looking games but now's my chance. Not to mention Street Fighter on a Nintendo console for the first time since the SNES days (correct me if I'm wrong. The way I looked at the 3D though is there are 2 pictures, one on top of the other and the slider either increses/decreses the size or seperates/aligns them. That's just my take on it though.

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That is how glassless 3D operates though, the barrier is targeting a single rendered scene to the opposite facing eye. If your face diverts too much away then how are the rendered scenes able to hit your eye? It's just like LCD screens, move out of its designated spot and it washes out.

There is a 3D slider on the side which adjusts the 3D, because not every persons eyes are the same space apart. So that may help your case.

The tech is long established and is being improved on with regards to viewing angles but when it comes to 3D it's either this or glasses. In any case not a problem for me as I normally play my games facing the screen. ;)

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Did you try one this week?

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I was hoping for something more like this:

Probably a lot more work for developers but the effect is awesome and you don't have to adjust anything or keep your view in the sweet spot.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That isn't actually 3D though, plus you have to keep moving the device to get that particular effect.

The 3D in the 3DS (via the parallax barrier) is as good as you get in the cinemas. It actually pops out of the screen in addition to there being depth going into the screen. Actually it is better than in the cinemas because the colours are not washed out due to glasses (as such the eye strain isn't a factor either).

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Not the 3DS, but I am familiar with the tech (it has been used in other electronic products, especially in JPN ones).