3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I have been waiting so long for Kid Icarus and a OoT remake, I'm so glad to see they finally are being not only made, but made on a portable in 3D. Also, I borrowed MGS3 from a friend and loved it, but never had a chance to finish it, I guessikk finally get around to that.

Even if only a handful of these games are released at launch, it will still be the best launch on any console or handheld as far as I'm concerned.

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009

I might be crazy, but does anyone else think it looks kinda 3D (depth-wise) at about 0:55 and 1:20 with the Pikmin scene?

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, the parts with the 3D plants, looks pretty 3D. Obviously you can't see the actual 3D effet, but it feels like you can understand what it would be like to see it in real life, from watching the video.

4. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I swear to God the leaf in the top left hand corner of the screen is in 3D...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You need two eyes to see the effect, cameras only have one ;)

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    [​IMG]

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Come to think of it, the 3DS camera has two lenses too, maybe it was filmed on one of them :p

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    This does look pretty nifty. It's like the VirtualBoy Redux: now without the eerily discomforting antisocial goggles.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I guarantee you, every time I got caught in the trees outside a hot girl's window wearing my badass VirtualBoy goggles, I got laid.

10. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I suppose that's the story of how you became a VirtualMan. :D

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Are those models included with the 3DS?

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Pretty sure they're just E3 promos, since people got to see the devices before Nintendo took the stage so they didn't wanna give away any game footage.

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Actually I think you get one of the models if you preorder*, but only if you order through Gamestop.

*While supplies last.

14. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    If you look over at pocketgamer, they have npt been that impressed by the 3d effects. They seem that they dont really add to the experince and it has been misused by many devs. Time will tell if 3d is worth it.

15. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Hmm not sure how old you are but dài is pretty amazing if you know what games to get.

16. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the Metroid demo that went with the original DS model was also at E3, so there's a chance this may be a freebie that goes with the console or something.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #77 GDSage, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
    Pocketgamer are largely iPhone nuts, they've even given excuses to this in the past ("iPhone segment gives us the most business"). You can bet if this was the iPhone first featuring this the article would be different. The 3D on the 3DS has been praised by the majority of media, with only a few stating otherwise. In others words it is the exact same thing which happened with the DS and its touch controls where the vast majority praised it and only a few did not.

18. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    WTF is pocketgamer? I only usually look at the bigger companies (ign gamespot etc) and they are absolutely amazed. Pocketgamer is probably not a game discussion/information site and just another phone site like TA seriously 3ds is only losing to idevices by a little in the poll and this is a idevice site. I went to a popular ds site with a similar thread and the 3ds winning by over 100x.

19. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Amazing news, Nintendo 3DS will have achievements, friend lists, voice chat and 5.1 surround sound.

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That 5.1 quote has been taken out of context. Kojima (of MGS) was explaining what the 3D effect on 3DS was like and he commented it is like being overwhelmed as you are with 5.1 when compared to previous means of listening.

However the 3DS is confirmed to have better speakers and sound quality. The head of VV (who makes Guitar Heros for Activision) stated as such.

As for the achievements, friend losts, voice chat... that came from an EA rep. What isn't know is if what he talked about is what Nintendo is plannning to do or is what EA is planning to do themselves. Remember, EA has their own online service including on the Wii. So time will tell.