3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #621 Omega-F, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Goddamn, SSFIV 3D Edition looks ridiculously good. Other than the backgrounds, the game looks virtually identical to the home versions.

And it has online too :D

[​IMG]

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If Nintendo did actually say 30 minutes then that would make it twice as bad, since the warning usually suggests hourly breaks. I'm pretty sure most 3D technology results in more eye strain anyway -even if it's just a minor difference- since they have to work harder to focus... but at least you can just switch to 2D at will. I'll probably leave it there.

...or maybe Nintendo are just covering their ass by halving the time, which is probably wise.

3. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Paper Mario 3DS... looking like and instant purchase (which isn't surprising really):

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Wow! That looks fun!

5. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Super Street Fighter IV details

So much for 3DS not having much online options!

- All 35 fighters available from the off

- Characters will feature all the alternative costumes

- Arcade and Versus modes

- 2D view: Play SF in traditional mode, with either 3D on or off

- Dynamic view: Play SF in a new depth-based perspective, from many impressions the 3D really makes this view

- Download play: via one card another 3DS user can download and play multiplayer matches from another user, so multiple game cards aren't required to play multiplayer

- Worldwide online play confirmed

- Live match viewing: Up to six users can view a live online match, even able to choose the perspective in which to view the match

- RPG Tag battles: A unique RPG battle mode featuring SF figurines. With six open slots you make up a team of figurines that will automatically battle it out with other teams when you pass them by via StreetPass mode. When you win, you also win the figurines you beat. Figurines have levels and stats, which upgrade as you battle. Figurines for each character come in various types (poses), even special golden ones, provoking a gotta catch em all vibe. Also with winning, you accumulate PP points, the purpose of which has not been disclosed yet

- Touch panel: Designate specific movesets to a simple tap on the touch screen, useful for newcomers but veterans can disable this feature in matches and online matches

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I hope Nintendo wont shy away from injecting a little difficulty into their games again... I held off from buying the new Donkey Kong game on Wii because I had a feeling it was developed with a casual audience in mind and DKC on the SNES holds such good memories partly because it was pretty tough. Today my 6 year old cousin told me he's finished the new DK and confirmed my suspicions.

7. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I heard the new DK is actually pretty challenging.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I remain skeptical. He's not that good a gamer yet, it's got a huge party game vibe to it that I just don't like. Nintendo seem to be throwing it all over the Wii, NSMB pales in comparison to SMW due to the fact it was designed to be accessible and when you release something any old fool can succeed in, it's no longer a game, more an interactive virtual experience. Like those lame theme park rides.

9. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You must have a severe case of nostalgia glasses there. The level design ambition / complexity of NSMB Wii craps all over any previous 2D Mario, including Lost Levels. 2D Mario is great but when you actually play them back, the level design (as good as it is) isn't that complex.

As for DCKR, again, the level design is as challenging (and more ambitious) as the old DCK games.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not at all, NSMB was decent, but SMW craps all over it. I still play it, it's not as though I've forgotten how bad it is, it holds up amazingly well to this day and still ranks highly among top games lists. If you're gonna throw accusations blindly I might as well throw one back and say you have a severe case of Nintendo-stupidly-easy-family-gaming denial. It's no secret to anyone the Wii is trying to open up to a wider audience and the difficulty and quality of their games are on a decline as a result. Ingenious level design isn't enough to cure the rest of the problems.

11. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #631 GDSage, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    It was less an accusation and more of a 'I've noticed some people have been saying this, which is puzzling in this particular scenario'. However, I do apologise if it came across as getting at you.

A lot of titles on Wii have of course become more accessible, but with SMG2, NSMBWii and DCKR, even in the Iwata Asks interviews, the devs state they went out to not let accessibility get in the way of challenge (which is why SMG2 has past 3D Marios beat with regards to challenge, despite being more accessible). Indeed, making a game more accessible doesn't mean a game becomes less challenging.

The reason I mention nostalgia is because my memory of those old games are wildly different to what I have actually recently played, as is usually always the case when I revisit past games. The creativity is still there in SMW and the like, but the ambition and complexity of the level design (what makes platformers challenging) have been long surpassed by others, especially when looking at NSMBWii. The only part of SMW that I still find ambitious / complex are the secret star levels and even there NSMBWii has it beat with its later stages. If this was about NSMB DS, then I would agree 100% with you, as that was a decidedly average entry for 2D Mario.

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    All the Nintendo games are getting progressively harder since they introduced that genius "mode" where the game plays for itself if you are having a hard time with it. Because of this, Nintendo doesn't feel the necessity to dumb down the difficulty and level design for the casual players.

NSMBW then SMG2 then DKCR. Zelda SS will probably continue that trend, as well as their 3DS games.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Unfortunately, these aren't direct feed videos, so the quality of the videos aren't the best.

Resident Evil Revelations gameplay demo (only 20% complete)

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Exactly, in the Iwata Asks interviews, the devs state that very thing. With the Super Play option in place, they can raise the overall challenge of the game.

15. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Resident Evil Revelations looks outstanding. Damn, and the game is only "20%" complete.

I also love the atmosphere and the setting.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I may still check out DKCR just because I love the series, but if it's on the same lines as SMG2 difficulty-wise then I consider that too easy. I totally blasted through that game in a couple of days, with only a few stars requiring multiple attempts. Awesome experience overall, but idly walking through without a care or fear of failure is the one downside I got from it.

17. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Anyone can finish and "blast through" Nintendo games. The more challenging stuff comes if you are playing the post-game stuff.
    ------------

Anyway, the Level-5 event ended about 2 hours ago. Both Layton games look awesome (Mask of Miracle and Layton vs Phoenix Wright.) Hopefully one of these 2 comes to America this year.

18. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    watched these videos.games like this could be possible on iOS if only developers invested more money. dead space still looks better because it's running on way bigger resolution.
    also the aiming with joysticks is horrible. notes: lighting-smooth=OK shadows-pixelated=bad

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well that sucks then. You've just told me Nintendo games are too easy and if I want a challenge I'll have to set my own after several hours of playing a game with little to no challenge at all? I'll stick to the likes of Demons Souls if that's the case. The idea of a "game" is you can win or lose, just winning all the time is something different. At least the likes of SFIV and RE will beat me down occasionally.