3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Sorry for the disruption IMNS! [​IMG]

Nice hint too! ;)

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #582 GDSage, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    Uh oh, someone has been a very naughty boy. Looks like a slick-fingered employee has managed to snatch a 3DS off the assembly line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far we have discovered...

The system has 96MB RAM (not including the 4MB of dedicated fast VRAM), with 32MB for the background OS (as much as the 360 background OS). If this seems low, you have to note this is a game dedicated device and not a smartphone and thus it is likely using a faster, more game-friendly type of RAM. With the DS, Nintendo used Fujitsu's FCRAM (Fast-Cycle RAM), which boasted far greater bandwidth than the RAM used in smartphones today. It's likely Nintendo has again opted for the same (or similar) RAM.

The 3DS has a 1300mAh battery, for comparison, the DSLite had a 1000mAh battery and the DSi had a 840mAh battery.

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Oh my god... that looks so f*cking hot.

4. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    so i will be building my sister/husband a mame arcade cab. once i finish mine.. so should be starting theirs in 2 months.. anyhow for my trouble.. my sisters husband brought me a box of DS games. he said the DS broke a few years back. So, now i have a reason to buy a DS. om not so much sold on 3d tech be it tv, ds, ( whatever else they will put it into ) more than what the industry is pushing.. but if im gonna buy a ds seems to make sense to get the latest and greatest. so this should be backwards compatible yeah?

or would i be better of getting a DS LX. once the 3d comes out i would imagine the price will come down on them.. well id think so anyhow. be pretty neat if you could pick up LX for a 100.00 all day once the 3d ds drops.
    chris,

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think it looks kind of klunky, especially with that raised screen. Not that I'm dismissing the device itself, but I'd hardly call it 'hot' looking. All my opinion, of course. :)

6. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    From what I hear, yes it will be backwards compatible with DS games.

You just don't know what you're talking about. It's hot. LOL jk man

7. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS.

As for what to get, at this point in time (just three months away), you might as well hold out and save up on a 3DS. I very much doubt the XL would come down to anywhere near 100. Indeed, the price it is at right now is where it will stay, because that price is the result of a price drop not too long ago that many supposed was for the purpose of leaving a gap between it and the soon to be released 3DS.

As for the 3DS, well, I'm not too fussed about 3D. What's got my interest is the support, which is unlike any other prelaunch support. Even without the 3D, the 3DS has quite a lot of features (analog stick, 3D camera, augmented reality, gyro) that allows it plenty of potential for all sorts of games.

I mean, if like me, these catch your eye...

Latest Resident Evil entry, Super Street Fighter IV, Mega Man Legends 3, new Pilotwings, new Paper Mario RPG, Zelda OoT remake, Metal Gear Solid, Professor Layton versus Phoenix Wright.

... then a 3DS might be the better option, being so close to its launch now.

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #588 LBG, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    I feel the same way. The design does look pretty outdated. But I don't really care much about the design, it's the controls that bother me. they could've at least added a second analogue stick. I can tell just by looking at those controls that I'm not going to like them. I think the only genre of games that I'd prefer those controls would be for arcade games, fighting/button mashing games and 2D sprite-based RPGs. I know from my experience with the PSP, that using the analogue stick for movement and face buttons for aiming/looking is crap compared to a touch screen (at least for me).

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I think it might be the angle that makes it look more raised than it is. I just looked and both the DSi and DSi XL have a raised screen on the bottom but barely can tell. If you look at that photo with all of them lined up you can see a slight raise in the bottom screen. Even the DS's screen on the bottom was raised slightly.

To me it matters not. I am such a handheld junkie that mine is pre-ordered already.

10. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    The same guy who leaked the photos has uploaded a video too:

11. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Very interesting... the 3DS's ship with no bottom!

12. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    The games look absolutely awesome and i will certaintly be one of the first in line to pick one up. The 3D stuff is of no interest. I could care less if its 3D. 2D works fine for me.

My only question is why in this day in age do Nintendo/Sega keep releasing handhelds without a second analog Stick? Seems like that would be a MUST !

13. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I'm guessing that was a joke, but if not: that person took an incomplete model. But hey, he was surely in a rush to sneak it out.

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    The DS can get away with that because it has a touch screen.
    ------------

New media about the games should start appearing late this week btw. Really excited to see the progress in games like Kid Icarus and Zelda.

15. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Apparently, there's more to the video out there, where Nintendo ninja's are clobbering this person to death as that mario music plays.

16. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    im really considering buying a DS now i have a box load of games. now, im just wondering how the second screen is used.. and dose it get in the way of game play?

chris.

17. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Second screed is mainly used to display information like menus, maps, different cameras, etc.

Then there's some games such as Zelda Spirit Track or The World Ends With You that use it for gameplay purposes.

18. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Amazing news. Famitsu announced Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclock for 3DS.

DS was an incredible game. :D

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Don't celebrate too much, looks like DS is just another quick launch game, thus a port.

See, not much thought put into it.

Anyway... screenshots time!

Devil Survivor Overclock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dead or Alive Dimensions
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ridge Racer 3DS (AKA why bother, Namco?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Sucks that is not the true sequel (it should be coming eventually), but I'll get it anyway because I sold my DS copy.

Ridge Racer looks like an iPhone game. DoA looks visually excellent.