3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    which games.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    95% of the RPGs.

3. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    psp has rpgs?That's ds's job

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Those pictures of the different coloured 3DS on Engadget are absolutely stunning.

6. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Damn. I want one.

Although I have a horrible feeling that I'll use it for for two weeks then never touch it again... just like my DSi.

That said, the graphical capabilities are apparently far superior to that of the PSP. And that line-up looks very tasty.

7. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #47 K.D!, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Well, despite Nintendo insisting, "No videos or pictures of the software", looks like some sneaky bugger concealed a camera to record 'Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D'. Naturally you can't really see the 3D effect via the video (it's one of those 'you have to be there experiences') but at least you get a somewhat blurry insight into the graphic capabilities of the system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D92S9unF88&feature=player_embedded

8. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    ^ It's certainly up there with PS2. Not in polygon rendering as no portable device is close to that and won't be for several years. People tend to forget how much of a beast the PS2 was in pushing polygons, it still is a beast.

However the footage there shows the 3DS has caught up due to two other factors. The use of shaders (notably normal mapping and specular lighting) and the reduced size of the screen. Put together and it looks like we really will get games that look similar to high-end Xbox games.

9. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I wish the Iphone had gaming like Nintendo's systems. Frigging OoT 3D has sold me instantly lol. Frigging Iphone gaming was fun for 5 mins, then you realise all the games are shit.

10. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    The graphics are beautiful! I want to see Kid Icarus in motion!

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ahahaha! So true. I've given up on full-featured games on my iPod. Gave up a while ago but I still appreciate the AppStore for what it is, especially when you take a look at what Verizon offers :p I'm starting to warm-up to the 3DS. I did not expect the vast amount of launch titles, and the graphics are leaps and bounds above the DSi. Sad this is, though, my little brother just got a DSi for Christmas :rolleyes:

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah I'll agree the majority of iPhone games are 5-minute affairs, but you do get the occasional gem. Super Quickhook soon!

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009

Your wish is granted. Check out the end, what a beautiful vista. Bless Sakurai (yep, the creator of Smash Bros is developing Kid Icarus).

14. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Imagine the scenes with the lasers in 3D!

15. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Admittedly, Kid Icarus doesn't look quite as polished as say Metal Gear, but it does indeed look great. I agree about the laser segment in 3D... seeing them come out of the screen (so to speak) would certainly be intense. Also, being a guitarist, I'm totally digging the music too :)

16. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
  17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Just updated the first page with a shot of the system, Kid Icarus vid, and a developers' comments vid of Konami, Ubisoft, EA, Level 5, Capcom, etc. Oh, and a Nintendo engineer stated at E3 they are aiming to achieve a battery life of the DSi, so 8-10 hours. Pretty nifty for 3D

18. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    UPDATE WITH THIS! One of the single greatest games EVER is coming the 3DS with enhanced graphics!

19. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I can see why they didn't announce it during their Press Conference... it would have totally overshadowed 'The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword' (or at least I believe it would have anyway).

Also GDSage, you may want to add this link to you first post:

http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/

It's the Official 3DS website (though Nintendo will likely morph it into the normal Nintendo site once E3 is over with).

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Will do, thanks.