3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #461 MidianGTX, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    It's a phone. People need phones. Good job on calling it though.

It's nice hearing news of a new game and knowing it'll actually be a full game. iPhone game announcements can mean anything from 5 minutes to 5 hours in length, it's a total gamble until people start buying it and telling you they've finished it the same evening.

2. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well, if the Legends series is anything to go by (Action RPG's), we should be seeing a rather substantial playtime. The past Legends titles took up quite a bit of time to see through all its content.

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Let's leave all that nonsense that dude has been spreading, and focus in more important things.
    -----------

[​IMG]

I can't wait for the OoT remake. It's gonna be like a brand new experience, considering that the game now runs at flawless 60fps instead of choppy 20fps like the 64 version. And the new item menu is going to streamline that experience even further, so that water temple is not going to be that much of a bietch anymore.

I can see this being a launch game.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh, one more thing. Nintendo will hold "Nintendo World 2011" in Japan, an event just for the 3DS. It will be held in Hall9 of the Makuhari Messe convention center from January 8 to 10.

So, just over three weeks for the next big outlet of 3DS news.

5. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Somehow DS games will entertain you longer than iOS games. I'll definitely buy the 3DS.

6. synther

synther Well-Known Member

I agree with you mostly, but you can make some awesome deals for the PC. Just bought Just Cause 2 for 6 Euro's on Steam.

You're right about the fact that iOS games aren't at the same quality level as DS games. Playing a mobile game makes me feel like I'm playing, well, a mobile game (ofcourse there are some exceptions, like GTA :)). Playing Zelda on my DS makes me feel like I'm actually playing an awesome game. Hard to explain.

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    While I'm not going to dismiss 3DS (I personally think it'll be a huge success, but thats pretty obvious anyways, isnt it?), I'd just like to comment that there was no way in the world I could have ever imagined that we'd have such great games on some mobile phone which doesnt even have any buttons. Compared to 3DS (or even the DS), iOS is still pretty far off. But considering how far it has come in 3 years, I think it'd be a bit ignorant to completely dismiss it and claim that it has no chance to compete with 3DS and/or PSP2.

As far as 3DS is concerned, I'm not really sold on the 3D gimmick, low res screen yet and the 'supposedly' console quality graphics. Only thing I find impressive about the 3DS is the game line up. And thats the only thing which is going to matter in the end.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The thing is, much like the best camera is the camera you have with you, the best pure gaming machine is the one you have in your pocket. I'll buy a 3DS on launch day along with whatever launch titles seem cool without issue, but there's no way it will become my dedicated portable gaming machine because I don't have enough room in my pockets and won't be carrying a murse to accommodate the 3DS. I think a lot of people likely feel the same way.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I said earlier. The game line up is definitely impressive, but that's all I really find impressive at the moment. And for me, nothing beats the convenience of having a portable gaming console and phone in one device.

10. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #470 Omega-F, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    That's way premature to say. Let's say that there's a game that you absolutely adore and can't stop playing. Would you really leave your 3DS and instead play your iPhone games, even when you know that you'll prefer to be spending time with that 3DS game?

And I see the "not enough pockets" as a rather weak excuse. What, people don't carry around bagpacks and "man-bags" with extra room for that stuff. Is not like the 3DS is a huge handheld either.

To me, absolutely nothing beats having an immersive, truly "hardcore" experience with top quality gameplay, as 3DS titles will likely offer.

To each its own, but really, let's think about it for a second. Would you rather keep playing Gameloft games or a perfect port/remake of Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater 3D in your palms? Even if you had to "make a little effort" and carry another handheld device.

11. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh well, its pretty obvious You copied from my post before I even posted it ;)

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes. When I'm not playing iPhone games for work, 90% or better of the time I'm playing my iPhone while I'm waiting somewhere out and about where I wouldn't have much else with me aside from my standard load-out of keys, wallet, and phone. Not having pocket space is not an excuse at all, as it's literally how the life of my DS and PSP have gone. Sure, both system have really killer games (I've loved the PSone classics on my PSP Go) but unless I'm taking my bag with me which has my laptop and all my other gadgets, the DS and PSP sit on my desk.

I guess the situation would be different if my regular getup included camoflage cargo shorts, but it doesn't. I really like walking around with minimal shit in my pockets, and literally carry nothing on me but my debit card, drivers license and health insurance card in a slimmy then a house key and car key on a single plain keyring, and iPhone. That's why I've gotten so in to iPhone gaming before I even got involved with TouchArcade, because it's literally always with me or within a few feet of me.

13. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I'll leave my god damn phone at home (I don't have an iPhone) at that means I can carry LoZ:OoT 3D in my pocket with me at all times. God I cannot wait for the 3DS. lol but I do carry my iPod touch with me at all times pretty much.

14. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I had one of those. Cards rubbed together and got demagnatized somehow. Lost the ability to use debit card. F*cking sucked. Now I sepreate them with a real wallet.

15. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

Rough job.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Weird, I've always done slim front wallets like that. Before I discovered the slimmy I just used one of these with the same three cards:

[​IMG]

Never had any issue. However... I've heard keeping your phone and magnetic credit cards in the same pocket can ruin them, which I've never done.

17. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Do you play iPhone games while at home, and with your other systems at your disposal?

What I get from your post is that you are more of the type of person who plays portable games for a quick doze of fun, but not your primary focus (other than when you are reviewing stuff)

I think there's the big difference. For those who want deeper gameplay experiences, even if they have to carry another handheld with 'em, the 3DS would be the obvious choice.

I love sometimes to play Angry Bird and Cut the Rope in my ride to school. But if I had the option to choose, I'd vastly prefer to play Resident Evil Revelations in the same amount of free time I have.

Apples to oranges, but yeah. I'm the type of guy who usually looks for deeper games, with more complex and engaging mechanics.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If I'm at home I'll usually play whatever has the cool new game, whether that's the PSP, DS, 360, PS3, iPhone, iPad, 3DS, etc. It doesn't really matter what system it's on.

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Maybe it was my phone that jacked em up. Not sure, but I never put my phone and wallet in the same picket too often if at all. Never know though. I've just been ruined for thin wallets. ^.^

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I see it the other way around. The best gaming machine is the one at home, ready for me when I actually want to get some serious gaming done. The best camera is the heavy, expensive one, ready for me to take out when I want to get some serious photography done. The iPhone is just a second rate alternative, when I'm out not playing games or taking photos, yet somehow get so incredibly bored I resort to using it to try and waste a bit of time. It's nice to have, but it's not serious or dedicated and that stops it being the best... it's just... handy.