3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    That's exactly the reason why there's such a big difference between RE5 and other games, such as Nintendo's own Kid Icarus.

If other companies start to port their engines, say Bioware and the UE3 they used for Mass Effect 2, it would look pretty incredible too.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Am I sensing reluctnce in admitting these screenshots have more detail than is physically possible on the 3DS? We know the game looks nicer than most, but these shots are exaggerated.

3. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Or if you have, say, a cross platform game and you grab screens from the PC version. I know of one that, when you press the screenshot button, creates a 5120*2880 screen with 8x oversampled antialiasing, renders a frame (with all models at the highest LOD) and dumps it out to disk. In fact the first time I came across the term 'Bullshot" was when looking at the function name for this screen grab code :)

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pretty much all videogame shots are bullshots, to one extent or another. The replies are to the doubt it can look that good visually, because resolution aside the throughput, lighting, shadow, texture effects and AA are like that. The recent RER footage, which was to the same quality, is running on 3DS hardware.

The only exaggeration is the resolution, most likely for the reason another poster mentioned.

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I think the majority of screenshots generally don't do the game justice as they lack post processing effects like anti-aliasing. Promo/concept renders are different.

6. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #426 Omega-F, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    Those RE screens are not concept art or renders, people.....

Looks like the Mercenaries game will be available for launch. The screenies for that already have a HUD in place:

[​IMG]

7. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    EA, Ubisoft, Activision, SE, Capcom, Konami, etc... pretty much every major publisher actively employs bullshots, especially with regards to aliasing / image quality.

Yes, promo/concept are different but promo/concept has little to do with the shots you see now. The MT Framework on 3DS is even capable of proper motion blur, which doesn't come cheap, resource-wise.

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I still don't see how it's possible that such an image can be displayed on a screen with a smaller resolution.

9. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #429 GDSage, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    ^ Why are you so hung up about the resolution? What matters is what you see there in the polygon budget, textures and shaders are what's in the actual game. For all intents and purposes the 3DS is around Xbox level but with shaders more in line with 360/PS3.

Forgot to add...

Resident Evil Revelations is only 20% complete

- Set between RE4 and RE5, details the formation of the BSAA
    - Going back to the fear-based atmosphere of the original RE's
    - Dev: "True survivial horror" "Won't know where creatures will emerge"
    - Like the originals, there will be limited ammo
    - Like the originals, heavy emphasis on puzzles again
    - Move and shoot: Can now take aim as you walk
    - Takes advantage of 3D to create actual depth in those spaces
    - Locations confirmed: Ship, port town, snow mountain, plane

Resident Evil Mercenaries is 70% complete (possible launch game for 3DS?)

- Mercenaries expanded
    - Dev: "Previous Mercs were just a bonus in comparison"
    - Online two-player co-op
    - Comprehensive weapon store with full customisation
    - RPG skill system: load out with specific skills and level them up
    - Characters: Chris, Jill, Claire, Hunk, Krauser... more to be revealed

10. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Because if the resolution of the screenshot is higher than that of the game, it can't be a screenshot. If it's not a screenshot, it doesn't mean anything-concept art always looks better than the actual game.

11. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Wow, in that case we might as well not bother posting much of any screenshots that exist out there, as they use increased AA / resolution not actually possible.

... Of course the shots mean something. The increase in resolution (so you can actually see something on a hi-res computer screen) doesn't take away the polygon throughput, textures and shaders the shots clearly show the game is pulling off.

12. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Um, every iPhone app I've seen has their screenshots unedited, normal 320 by 640 screenshots. Not sure what you mean there.

And I see prebaked lighting and remarkably low polygon counts. Just look at the legs and pants, for example. The draw distance could also be lacking, with is something that I seem to notice with 3DS games. iOS games have huge draw distances, but most of these games' screenshots are in very enclosed areas-and if you half the draw distance, you can double your graphics.

Finally, I could make any game look good by selectively getting great screenshots from the beat locations in the game, upscaling them, and adding Anti-Alisasing. Infinity blade looked way better in the previews than in gameplay, right? This could be the same way.

13. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    :rolleyes:

Can you show me those iOS games with HUGE draw distances that you are talking about?

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Er, if you actually look at the footage of RER, you can clearly see the per-pixel lighting, soft shadows and self-shadowing are in real-time, not pre-baked. These effects are also in real-time in the MGS3 remake and Super Street Fighter IV. Psst, the actual GPU of the 3DS is fully capable of all these effects (look up on the PICA200 GPU) and each of these effects are fixed into the hardware and can be switched on / off at will by the developer (that's why Nintendo went with a fixed pipeline, so they can get best results with minimal effort).

Also, how can you notice a lack of draw distance with 3DS games when you (or any other) has yet to see more than a couple of games? For that matter, you can already use your eyes and see that RE Mercs use reasonably large locations filled with many enemies.

Finally, we already know its capable of this because footage, in the native resolution, has already been shown. Not sure why people think such shaders are unlikely on a handheld, it is 2010 after all.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You people are strange. Yes, we know those are the textures, but the fact we're pointing out is that they look better in these screenshots than they do on the device, thus being bullshots. That's all we're saying. We're not denying the game will look great, and we're not hung up on resolution, we're hung up on the fact it's not going to look quite that great because it's a technical and physical impossibility. There are 126,000 pixels in those screeshots, and not that many exist on the screen of the 3DS.

The HUD just proves it, look at it's fuzziness compared to the rest of the image, it's been blown up to match the resolution of the screenshot.

16. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #436 K?!, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    1. An example: Street Fighter IV has a low Framerate, and doesn't look as good as the iPhone version.

2. Aralon, Xenome, Nova, Ravensword, Infinity Project, Epic Citadel - all of there games have very large draw distances. In terms of seeing only a few games, I think I am seeing the best games the 3DS has to offer and that they are are pushing the limits of what the system has to offer. Or if I'm not seeing the absolute best graphics, I am seeing close to it.

3. The Graphics are not representative of the system as a whole. Just because the 3DS could handle complex graphics, doesn't mean that the average game wont have cartoony, 2D art (just like the iPhone). So expecting every game to be this good is unreasonable.

The games take many cheap tricks to make their graphics look good. In the baseball game from the first video, the spectators are running at around 5 FPS. So sure, the game may look good, but it isn't as technically a good achievement as you make it be. Also, in the RE screenshot above, the guy in the background's legs, feet, and pants are made out of three triangles each. Im just saying that the polygon counts aren't as high as they seem.

Also, I have one actual question to ask: how is the second screen used in any of these games? My friends have DSi's, and the second screen is normally used for menus. When it is being used for somethig real, the top screen isnt being used. Most of these games look like they'll only use buttons. So is the second screen wasting space?

17. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #437 Omega-F, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    Wait a second, am I blind or here it says that the [3DS] version of Street Fighter 4 doesn't look as good as the iPhone version?

What on earth are you talking about, man?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a really tiny, minuscule, little detail that you might have not know: the 3DS version of Street Fighter 4 is 3D (and I mean 3D character models), the iPhone version ain't.

Comparing the two is just silly in the fist place since the 3DS version is leagues above the iPhone version, and not only in terms of graphics, but in content, features, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hmmm, Am I'm not getting something? Do you think these games have very large draw distances? Man, that's PS1 era stuff at best. Not even incredible simplistic geometry allows them to get rid off that ugly as sin fog. Epic Citadel/Infinity Blade fares better, but that's a game on 4th generation device. Wait to see how 3DS games are going to look in 4 years, without you having to buy a completely new device like Apple.

I don't know from where this came from, but it all depends on the developers. Realistic graphics, cartoonish graphics-- I personally don't give a damn about 'em. As long as the game looks great, is polished, and has good art-direction, I can play stuff that looks like Resident Evil Revelations or Kid Icarus.

That screen you mention is not from the other Resident Evil game (Revelations). It's from another project called Mercenaries. It makes sense why the characters in that game have less polygons and are less detailed because that game will probably have tons of characters with different A.I's on screen at the same time, and it also has online co-op so it makes sense for the developer to make some graphical sacrifices in order to make it run smooth.

Like you said, bottom screen will be mostly used for Maps, quick to access inventory, navigation stuff, menus, etc. That's unless someone like Jupiter comes and makes a masterpiece that uses it also for gameplay like The World Ends With You.
    --------------------------

If people are reluctant to believe that 3DS will produce visuals as those in those Resident Evil images, then take a look at these, since they are a damn accurate representation of what the game will probably look in front of you. And on top of that, consider that the game is first generation software, and it's only 20% complete, which means that they are going to improve it even further:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i guess winter is here.. i sometimes forget living in the desert.. people are getting their panties in a bind over.. full size pictures meant to be seen on our desktops compared to the 3.x" screen.

cheers.

chris.

19. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Anyone who honestly believes that the iDevice will out-perform the 3DS on any level in terms of dedicated gaming is, well, denial is your friend, I suppose. The 3DS will crush the iPhone as a pure gaming machine. Crush it to bits.

People will still be drawn to the iDevice because of the pricing structure. That's what drew most people to the appstore in the first place. That's not going to change. Being able to purchase a game the quality of Aralon or NOVA 2 for $7. No other gaming platform can come anywhere reasonably close to competing with that.

However, the content, the campaign length, the overall quality of games like NOVA 2 cannot come anywhere close to competing with what high-end 3DS games will offer you. You get what you pay for in life and when you buy a game for $40 for the 3DS, you will be getting your money's worth. And when you buy a "high-end" game for the iphone, you're also get your money's worth. That's why NOVA 2 and Shadow Complex will be 4 hour SP games, at best.

20. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I've decided I don't like you at all.