3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So the 3D effect is "good, but not great". Doesn't sound too convincing yet, kinda makes you feel like you've gone cross-eyed and you've gotta manually adjust the depth to fit your eyes? I wanted something revolutionary!

The games sound good, and the design is nice, but the 3D effect sounds more headache-inducing than uber-cool at the moment.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Nintendo+3DS/news.asp?c=21466

I'm still kinda skeptical about the 3D effect. Although most people seem to be reporting that it looks good, some aren't so happy about it. I'll probably wait to actually try it in person before I consider buying it. I seem to prone to headaches from some 3D stuff.

3. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well actually it is already great but like with all screens (LCD) it has a sweet spot. There's no other way than Parallax barrier to deliver 3D without glasses.

As for not liking 3D, well you can turn it off. Thing is though once the 3DS makes it mainstream Sony and Apple will be jumping on it as well, so it will be everywhere you look. Also, that article you link to there's only one in several that expresses a negative opinion and that negative aspect affects all LCD screens (the sweet spot). In any case, who plays games looking at the screen side on?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think the real question for me is how the 3D screen will work on a portable platform, which should be designed to play in less than optimal circumstances. Will you need to sit very, very still to make it work? How about lighting? Will sunlight ruin the effect? Don't get me wrong: I think it's great that Nintendo is innovating (compared with Microsoft and Sony, who seemed to be playing catch-up). But I'm definitely more excited about the improved capabilities of the device than about the 3D effect -- at least until I see it live.

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The idea that you have to manually adjust it is what gets me. So what if it's slightly out, you're gonna be looking at a blurred image or something? Sounds like it'd be similar wearing glasses that aren't perscribed for you which puts pretty bad strain on the eyes.

Edit: this quote seems to confirm my fears:

"You need to stare at the screen for a moment for your eyes to adjust and then not move around too much. If you do you’ll need to adjust again. But, stay reasonably still and it’s a compelling effect."

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I also remember reading that the 3DS also features face recognition, so I don't know why they don't make it so that it automatically adjusts depending on how far away your eyes are from the screen (or maybe it's not powerful enough to do that in the background while the game is running).

7. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Yeah, the 3D effect seems to be amazing.

"In a word, the technology was amazing. Actually, amazing doesn't even begin to describe what Jim and I just saw. Even Jim Sterling looked at me and couldn't believe what he was seeing. The hype is correct: 3D. No glasses. The images do not just fall back into the screen as some people thought. They come out at you. IN 3D! WITH NO GLASSES! It is absolutely surreal."

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-quick-hands-on-with-the-nintendo-3ds-176547.phtml

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    When the hype machine has died down we'll find out how many people are able to play without getting headaches or vomiting :)

9. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Yeah, the 3D effect seems to be amazing.

Nintendo has some kind of video streaming on their site with the impressions of people, conversations about their upcoming games, etc. the next few days. :D

10. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    So... In other words, they've never heard of nor seen lenticular displays.

11. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    I don't like the look of that analog "pad". It reminds me a lot of the PSP's, which was practically unusable at times.

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    "You could say the analogue slide control was like the PSP's, but that would do it a terrible disservice, frankly. It's the same concept, infinitely better realised. The spring is much looser, the very slightly concave surface holds your thumb well and the positioning is perfect. On the demos that allowed you to use it to rotate models or pan around the scene, it offered precise and smooth control. The d-pad beneath is now a little out of the way - it was under the joint of my (long) thumb - but will be nice to have for menu selection."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-3ds-hands-on?page=2

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I hated the stick on the PSP 1000, but for some reason the Go's feels really good. I dunno if they altered it a bit or the different placement made it easier to get a hold on, but I'm positive having it further up the device on the 3DS is gonna make it feel a lot more natural and easy to use.

14. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    The concave surface on the stick is a good idea. It just makes more sense in terms of comfort for your thumb.

15. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    http://e3src.nintendo.com/3ds/

Click on 'Featured Titles', 'Nintendo Titles' and 'More Titles' near the bottom the view screen shots from a load of upcoming 3DS games. Some absolute gems in there!

16. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    FF,DQ,KH good job square! New Mario Kart, SMT series Koei's DW and SW (too bad no ROTK) not to mention RE NICE!!!!

17. soupbandit

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Obviously a port or spinoff...they only make the actual FF's on PS consoles...and dude there's going to be more KH!

18. soupbandit

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    They only get ports on Idevices. They get remakes on actual consoles lol

19. soupbandit

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    And the 3D effects are from the slide pad. You can take it off because it is optional.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Tell that to the PSP.