3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #361 GDSage, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Simply incorrect. Nintendo are a global business, with most of their business being in the West. Nintendo is the only publisher in the whole industry that is able to sell multiple properties in the millions, across numerous regions. Most other publishers can only get away with that with one or two titles.

You don't become the largest publisher in the whole of the games industry just off the back of Japanese appeal.

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Time for me to stop arguing with fanboys.

3. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ah, so when someone contests your viewpoint with actual facts (Nintendo are the largesr publisher in the world, Nintendo's main business is in the West) you just fall back on to childish name calling? Good to know...

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    You give facts which aren't related to what I said as an argument. Nintendo is popular in the West (or more like the US), because most people are open for the eastern approach, this also explains the popularity of animes. There are people who aren't (like me), so for them Nintendo isn't the way to go.

5. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #365 GDSage, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Reality check, anime is in steep decline in the West (especially the US) and has been for years. Poor comparison, there.

As for your "or more like the US" you do realise the best selling titles this generation (being Nintendo titles) sold just as much in Europe as they did in the US? Psst, Nintendogs sold more in Europe. With Mario Kart and NSMB, those titles in Europe sold on par as with the US, all of which sold vastly more than the titles did in Japan.

It can be argued Nintendo's inspiration can be attributed to their Japanese origins, but their catalog of games are very much a global brand, with regards to appeal.

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Fine. If you read back, my example was the RPG genre: there are a lot more eastern RPGs for Nintendo consoles than western.

7. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    And...? This has nothing to do with Nintendo or the devices Nintendo makes. You contested Nintendo devices play to a different audience, even though the DS kickstarted the whole expansion towards non-gamers, something the software on the iDevices (as well as on other platforms) play off on.

You then contested Nintendo's appeal is very Eastern, which again can't be true because strong Eastern games, such as Final Fantasy (which is by far the strongest Eastern-styled title out of Japan), sell 5 million copies worldwide. Nintendo's games sell 15-24 million copies worldwide. You cannot hit 20 million copies sold with a game that is very Eastern in appeal. To reach such a figure your IP needs to be a global brand, something most people can relate to.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'll agree the 3DS doesn't really do much new aside from the 3D effect, but that doesn't affect how good the overall product will be. It's improving upon an already great console. It's doing things that have been done before, but better, and not just better, but possibly the best way they've ever been done. That's more than enough reason for me to be hyped.

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Learn to read? I said their approach is eastern, not the appeal. It appeals to everyone who likes the style,no metter where they live. For something to deserve this kind of hype, it should be universally likeable, not just for people enjoying the eastern styled games.

10. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Except it is the same thing. If you actually read the Iwata Asks interviews (president of Nintendo interviews the developers of Nintendo games), time and again the devs stress that when they make a game they do not think about a particular segment of the market to appeal to. Rather they go about making the game as appealing as possible, so male or female, young or old can easily play into it.

That is not an Eastern approach, that is a global approach and that is why they are able to sell 20 million copies of a game.

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Approoach includes the graphical style, which is similar for eastern developers but is a major turn off for some, and so on.

12. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Also this... er, the DS is the very definition of being universally likeable and this doesn't look to change with the 3DS.

DS is now going to be the best selling videogames platform in the world. It has sold 50 million units in the US, over 40 million units in the UK and Europe and 30 million units in Japan.

You do not sell that amount (same with the games) without being a global brand, without being universally likeable.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    How does Nintendogs or the Mario brand sport Eastern graphical styles? If you actually look at Nintendo's catalog, most of their IP's are actually a whitewash with regards to graphical style. In other words, there is no strong graphical style with their major wares.

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    It isn't universally likeable - proof: I don't like it, it is generally likeable, not universally.

15. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    In that case, nothing can be universally likeable so what the hell is your point?

To be universally likeable or have universal appeal it actually refers to when a large segment of people (tens of millions), across multiple regions of the world, find appeal in a particular product. In the case of the DS and its sales, it goes far beyond because it has hit beyond a userbase of 100 million.

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The iDevice is pretty much universally likeable, I have never heard of anyone who didn't like it at all after trying it out.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, of course...

anecdotal = FACT!

If it wasn't obvious before, now it's painfully obvious you're justing playing hijinks here. Great job wasting the last two pages.

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I know people who hate the iDevice after trying it out, so that would mean it's not universally likeable no?

Bah, don't even care about this debate, just wanted to mention that.

Kind of a silly thing for you to say anyways.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Official trailer for Professor Layton versus Phoenix Wright!

The Phoenix Wright theme, orchestrated = heavenly bliss

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's just weird.