3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Of course it's not because they're scared of idevice. It's of course from psp.What did the ds differ from psp? More adult orientated games as well as improved graphics. Kids are sure going to buy the new DS because they loved the current ones. Older people like me will buy it because of the lineup and improved graphics. I've been playing pokemon yellow since grade 1 and I'm still playing pokemon games till now. Nintendo now has a young/casual fanbase and now they're going for the other hardcore/older audience.

2. soupbandit

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    What do you mean kiddy theme. We were kids when we played it..obviously it's a kid game. How is it not proper just because you're a queer.

3. soupbandit

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    No ubisoft will make DS games themself. Gameloft is their very small department. There's already many ubisoft games for ds.

4. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Really interested to see how well the 3d tech works... I checked out a few of the pc monitors which required no glasses at GDC, but you need to be in exactly the right place or you get major ghosting images... Hoping the 3DS tech is a bit more refined :)!

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Here's a protip: don't believe everything a website says. Heck, even a big site like IGN claimed that the video was "CG"............... in the same sentence where they said you could manipulate the 3D effect and the camera. lol :rolleyes:

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a protip for you: better to trust a skeptical reporter (even if he works for a gaming website) who attended the event than a fanboy who didn't ;). I'm still not sure about that particular clip and whether the small camera manipulation involved (as Hodapp describes it) requires that the whole thing be rendered on the fly. Obviously if the 3DS is able to maintain that level of dynamic lighting and anti-aliasing while at the same time running enemy AI etc, sampling both touchscreen and analog controls for input, sampling the 3D slider, automatically checking for available wifi, and all the while keeping battery consumption to a minimum, then we're definitely talking about a phenomenal machine. I guess I don't feel I have enough information to go with that quite yet.

7. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    :rolleyes:

Let's leave it to Capcom themselves to explain the situation:

“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.”

[​IMG]

That's what I said.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, that's pretty cool -- though you're still talking very limited interactivity. We'll see how it holds up once we actually see some gameplay video.

9. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Well now I gotta see how this will compare to a new ipod touch in september, because this will be the first thing I will save up for from nintendo!!

10. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Okay, so now that we've established that it's using the in-game engine (it took a while), I'll basically just repeat what I said before, that it's a good indicator for the power for the actual gameplay, based on a lot of Capcom's other games.

11. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Exactly. Resident Evil 5 cutscenes look nearly identical to the actual gameplay parts.

12. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You've also got to understand this trailer isn't a tech demo but a trailer for our (non-3D) consumption. As such it follows the typical steps all trailers from any developer does, most notably to lavish AA all over it so it actually looks presentable at such a higher resolution.

All the models, effects and the like in that trailer were all present to the same degree in the tech demo. It is only the addition of AA that makes it different from the tech demo as that had aliasing on the showfloor.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Iwata continues to be the greatest person ever

No wonder it has so much support already, but also think what this means. Apart from the graphical performance you can bet developers requests also dealt with the online system. The 3DS is going to end up like the PS2 aka best thing ever.

14. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
  15. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Yeah? :rolleyes:

16. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    A little comment from the creator of Deux and the upcoming Epic Mickey:

"The 3DS changed my life. Seriously. I can be pretty stubborn and when I decide I know something or I’m right about something, I don’t often change my mind. Well, I just want to say I’ve been completely wrong about 3D all my life. I never got it before. Until now. Until the 3DS. Check back tomorrow and I’ll tell you all about it."

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    As if we didn't expect it already...

Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI remakes basically coming to 3DS

Heh, switching from "technical difficulties" to "yeah, we were well aware of 3DS existence back then". No decision has been made, my arse... wouldn't surprise me if FFV remake was already well underway and has been for the past year.

18. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    News on the North America release of the 3DS:

http://kotaku.com/5573315/nintendo-of-america-says-when-nintendo-3dss-will-be-out

Note that this is only in regards to NA and not worldwide, but I'm guessing EU will probably be next year as well.

19. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I will be buying this just for Golden Sun 3

20. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    A bunch of newly uploaded photo's courtesy of IGN:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although Nintendo hasn't confirmed final colour schemes for the system, I really do hope that, despite what colours they go for, they still stick with the Metallic finish... looks very sleek. :)