3DS... perhaps the greatest device ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    According to Kotaku, it's a cinematic trailer and not actual in-game footage.

@GDSage: you seem to have heard differently -- may I ask from whom?

2. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Kotaku is right, it is a cinematic, but so is GDSage. It's running in real-time through the in-game engine, much like Capcom's other games such as Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 which do the same thing. The cutscenes probably look a bit better than the gameplay, but running in real-time means that it can still be used as an indication as to how the game is roughly going to look.

That said, it does look very impressive.

3. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Capcom Japan itself states it is a real-time demonstration, the fact it could be affected by the 3D depth slider at E3 shows this (movies cannot be affected by the depth slider as it is a computational alteration).

In any case, the 3DS GPU is capable of displaying all those effects. In the Street Fighter IV shots it is evident Capcom took the polygonal models of the HD game, ressed them down but kept all the graphical tricks that game had (the demo even has self-shadowing).

What's most impressive is this was all done in three-to-four months (same with MGS real-time demo). It shows the 3DS (like the DS) is relatively simple to get started up on. Despite the large improvement in visuals devs will be able to get stuff out on this far easier than on a PSP. In other words the 3DS still keeps true to the handheld environment, unlike the PSP.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    3DS to support 'Push' for game / firmware content

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There was never any question as to whether the RE5 used the game engine or not, you can see the aliasing.

6. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I could care less about the 3D, but the fact that it has better graphics, an analogue stick, and N64 remakes is good enough for me! :D

Hopefully Gameloft will start porting their iPhone games over to the 3DS, since it has a real analogue stick and buttons rather than virtual ones. XP

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd be aiming a bit higher than Gameloft ports for the 3DS, but that's just me. I have absolutely no love for GL.

8. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Oh, I didn't know that the original actually launched here first. That'll be pretty cool if it comes out before the holidays.

And even if that is just a cutscene, the RE clip looks astounding. Can't wait to see what gameplay looks like.

9. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Nintendo 3DS GPU is DMP PICA200

Not full details however. Right now we don't know which of the PICA200's the 3DS will use. There are different ones set at different clockspeeds (from 100MHz to 400MHz) and from one fixed pipeline to four fixed pipelines.

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    There're plenty of legitimate games on the platform. No void to fill with with rip-offs of genres that already exist.

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah, no need for clones on a platform which has the real thing, that would be strange. Why have a clone of Resident Evil when you can have...Resident Evil?

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Maybe because the clone (Zombie Infection) is better than the actual Resident Evil.... well, at least on the iPhone :p
    I'm pretty sure that won't happen on the 3DS though.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 3DS version won't be a much dumbed-down port.

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    No, it is in game, and it was present at E3. It's impossible to move the camera in 3D and manipulate the 3D effect if this was just a CG cutscene. ;)

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Were you at E3? According to Kotaku, that was all that they saw of the game on the show floor -- it couldn't be manipulated.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If it's the same Resident Evil trailer I'm thinking of you could move the camera a little bit with the analog stick but that was it. You couldn't actually play it or anything. It seemed like only half the 3DS stations even had playable games and most of them were like little 30 second demos.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #197 GDSage, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Movies cannot be adjusted in 3D with the depth slider, the depth slider works in conjunction with the GPU and the programmed game to align the two images being rendered by the GPU. Any product which can have its 3D effect adjusted on the 3DS is thus running on the platform in real-time. Resident Evil Revelations was confirmed adjustible via the depth slider on the showfloor.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Wouldn't the "Hollywood movies" that will be available for the 3DS also be adjustable? Are those going to be rendered in real time, too?

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #199 GDSage, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    Makers of CGI 3D movies have to designate specific depth levels because movies are not computationally rendered on the fly as they are played.

The movie trailers at the E3 showfloor all had one depth level which those film makers designated, once set it cannot be adjusted unless said makers release another version. That is why when the makers release 3D movies in the cinemas they have to make sure they have the 3D effects right because once released it would be very difficult (and costly) to replace with another version.

Games are another matter because they are computationally rendered on the fly and as such can be adjusted at any time and in any way. That is why in conjunction with the GPU and the parallax barrier you are able to adjust the 3D depth. So if any product is able to use the depth slider it has to be rendering in real-time.

20. OrangeKirby555

OrangeKirby555 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Human
    Ohio
    In the Kid Icarus video at :30 when he said "sorry to keep you waiting", I think they meant about not having another game in over 10 years or so.

These game trailers look really good on the new DS.
    Almost better, if not better than the PS2's graphics. I want one so badly! :D