3d Turn-Bases RPG's....

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrdyer1984, Jul 19, 2009.

1. mrdyer1984

mrdyer1984 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's way to boring to even type it in...
    Shrewsbury PA
    I signed up with this website to just ask a few questions...

I know what the iPod Touch/Phone/3G/3GS or whatever can do as far as games. Real Racing and Doom have both blown my mind. I had a PSP and a DS until I bought my touch 2nd gen. I'd like to think the touch/phone whatever falls somewhere in between as far as graphics (not here to debate that...just giving my own 2 cents). So with that being said, and with companies like EA, Gameloft, ID, so on backing this little device...

Why hasn't there been a turn based...3d...rpg. I keep a small amount of hope that SquareEnix will release like a FF7 for the touch/phone. I don't care if it's all been done before...I laugh when reviewers say "the plot is over used" "one guy against the world" "bland over used story lines"...I don't care. I love those bland over used story lines. I like being the little guy taking on the world (real life I'm a fat guy who deals with pains in the butt all day). I played "Vay" and while it brough back some good memories...it didn't hit the spot. So anyone know if there is anything on the horizon? There are tons of dev's out there...can't one of them take up the cause? I'll pay $10 for a 40hr 3d rpg even if it's a complete rip off of every other rpg out there.

I'd love to hear some news if anyone knows anything...

-Tim

2. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    The Quest. It doesn't have the best graphics but it is packed with content. Try the lite version out to see if you like it.

3. mrdyer1984

Jul 19, 2009
    Shrewsbury PA
    Yeah...I played the quest. Great game, kinda like the old Elder Scrolls. But I'm looking more for a complete FF7 rip off. Random battles, over world map, towns...and nothing but level grinding to kill my time.

4. Tarcin

Tarcin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    You have to wait then

5. mrdyer1984

Jul 19, 2009
    Shrewsbury PA
    I know...I don't know a thing about programing and I'm sure it's not easy.

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I've never played it, but I have high hopes for Wolfenstein RPG.

7. dalfiuss

dalfiuss Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I've been saying the same thing.

The iPhone is technically more powerful and capable of graphics equivalent to the PSP, the only issue is, all of the phones core functions are running in the background, reducing the power it can apply to games.

The 3GS, with it's boosted CPU and GPU is fully capable of producing PSP quality games.

The Quest is a brutal game, it is a archaic game pushed onto the iPlatform. Additionally, the game is not running in 3D.

Developers need to start playing to the platform's strengths if they intend to ever make it a serious contender. All of these action RPGs simply DO NOT WORK on the iPhone. Develop for the system, don't develop and then put it on the system.

8. mrdyer1984

Jul 19, 2009
    Shrewsbury PA
    #8 mrdyer1984, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    I played Wolf RPG on my phone (not an iphone)...I didn't care for it, but it was choppy and sluggish...I figure for the touch/phone it'll be much better.

The Quest was fun for me...but I liked the Elder Scrolls games. I also played the quest on my palm 4 years ago...I think? But I think a good turn based 3d rpg would work great on the touch/phone...they don't require quick action.

9. songkranw

songkranw Well-Known Member

You have to wait then.
    Because even I have the money to fund the project no company dare to take it.

Seriously just by one reason....Took too long to develop.

I'll state it right here (and hope one day my word is wrong) Full scale JRPG is only a dream for iPhone/iPod Touch player.
    :(:(:(:(

10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Whilst it seems a ground up from scratch 3D JRPG from the likes of Square Enix is unlikely, there may be some hope for a Song Summoner port

11. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    A new entry into the song summoner saga seems much more worth while than another crystal defenders

12. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Doubt they'll make a fullscale C/J/KRPG since it will sell better if for other consoles. Turn based RPGs did not start in Japan (funny how Japan takes the credit for most RPG games o_O), it started in China with that famous game. I think iPhone was meant for 2D RPGs like Zenonia, but since Zenonia is like the only proper RPG out right now this genre is practically absent in the appstore.

13. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    A hope for any serious game from Square Enix to the iPhone is most likely not even going to happen. Don't get me wrong, Crystal Defenders and Vanguard are great! But it's obvious they just aren't going to take the iPhone seriously. At least, for now, bu there's always hope.

14. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    #14 FinalGamerAC, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    If they can make a serious game for the touch wheel ipods then they may make one for the ipod touch seeing as playing games on a original ipod was worse than cell phone java games. I actually want to play song summoner so i would be down with a port and if the app store keeps doing as well as it is I have little to no doubt that at least FF1 will be ported since it was already ported to every other system(except xbox/s) plus mobile phones.