Universal 3D Skill Driving Game, Hondune's Truck Trials

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hondune, Jan 24, 2012.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #21 oooooomonkey, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Anyone else having slow down / frame rate problems. I'm using an iPod 4G and on a couple of levels it a bit jumpy

Edit. Nvm I just quit the app and shut it down from the multi task bar and when I loaded it in again it was fine.
    Maybe it had something to do with long play sessions. :)

2. Hondune

Hondune Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Hey everyone! I can not thank you all enough for such amazing feedback! I just read through everyones comments and im so glad you are all liking it :D

Ive also listened to your feedback so:

Ive added the screen flipping to whichever orientation you like to have it at. and i am working on an option to have the throttle be a slider! (it will be enabled or disabled in the pause menu) Im also going to try and improve the UI on the high score page, since its a bit hard to read some times if the background is dark.

ill try and get this small update submitted by tonight!

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Cool, thanks for updating so soon. Do you think you'll look at changing the easy flipping / jumping the vehicles do?

4. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010

If you need someone to test the latest builds before you submit them, I am sure that anyone here would love to help. Especially me.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wow, how did I miss this?!? :eek:

Downloading now...

6. Hondune

Feb 22, 2009
    #26 Hondune, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Update is finished! I am testing it a bit right now to make sure i didnt break anything else then its off to apple!

im not sure how long it takes to approve an update, but hopefully it will only be a day or two.

The Next major update will include at least 1 or 2 new trucks, ill keep you guys updated on when i get that going :)

7. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'd love to see a really high hill climb style course. :)

8. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I bought the game, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I spent some time at your site. Congratulations on being able to recover from whatever shut you down. After watching the video on YouTube, I think I'll be giving "Ouch!" a try as well.

Good luck!

9. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    As said above, all this game needs is a bit of smartening up (UI) and throttle control and this game HAS to hit apples front page.

Best 69 pence spent this year!

10. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Is the flipping truck and wheelie issues fixed? The cars flip too easily, and they do wheelies to easily as well.

The turning of the trucks is off as well as I stated earlier. If you turn and are going fast enough you roll over.

Also, could we get a reset current position button? Alonside than restarting the level why not have a button that puts the player right side up after they flip over. And the amount of crates you had before spilling are back in your truck.

11. Hondune

Feb 22, 2009
    The main problem with this is that there is no way to tell how many crates you had before you flipped over, since obviously as soon as you flip you will loose all of your crates. There isnt really a fair way to judge when to count flipping over, loosing crates ect. IE: you could start to flip, then tap the button and reset yourself before loosing any crates. Basically it would just lead to a bunch of people essentially cheating. And would greatly reduce the difficulty of the game.

i will look into adding some sort of checkpoint system in the next pack of levels however.

as far as the vehicles flipping over to easy that is a problem im not sure what the best way to fix would be. The reason they flip so easy is because the wheels have a ton of friction. Now obviously i could lower the friction but this makes the game MUCH more difficult. so the flipping over was the lesser of the two evils... Since the game rarely every needs you to actually drive very quickly i was hoping it wouldnt be TO much of a problem :/

i will look into it though...

12. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Right, that makes much more sense :p.

A check point system would probably be the best.

Anyway, this is really really fun. Throw in some level packs for $0.99 and I guarantee you I will purchase them.

13. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Yes sir. I will too. Some rock climbs, tank traps! I love this game.

14. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.

I've bought or downloaded over a couple thousand apps and, for some reason, most (not all, mind you) of the games with this font have been terrible. So, I have a Pavlovian response to games which have screenshots that show this font and breeze on by with an averted glance rather than give it a deeper look. Aw, well...

I am digging the hard outlined cartoon look. The impressions seem to be generally favorable with minor niggles and the dev is responsive. I may just take the leap...

15. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Im not a fan of Comic Cans whatsoever. But this is a game you should get.

16. Hondune

Feb 22, 2009
    Weird thing is the font isnt comic sans, its Adams Wide Bold for the in game stuff, and Hobo STD for the textured fonts and trailer ect.

I didnt even think about the fact that it looks like Comic Sans. Small oops on my end i guess :p

17. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011

That would defeat the very point of the game now wouldn't it?

I don't know why people on touch arcade always want a developer to dumb down a game completely for them. Dev leave the game the way it is; challenging. I'm looking toward to more level and cars like you said.

Thanks

18. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I have since changed my opinion. And Im pretty sure I didn't ask him to dumb down the game.

What I meant to say was to have this feature available on the Free Roam portion of the game. But just eliminate my comment about resetting blocks.

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I'm really happy with the game and physics as a whole. Id say don't change the physics at all. Rolling your truck is your own fault for driving to fast. :)

20. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I'm loving this game.

Tricky truck came out the other day too, but this is better.

That sunset on the title screen would make a nice in game background for some levels
    Night time with lights would be great too

Otherrwise, great great great job!