iPad 3D Rollercoaster Rush!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by greenro89, Jun 16, 2009.

1. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Oh DAMN that looks good =O

2. greenro89

greenro89 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Minnesota
    I tried the lite version and loved it! looks and plays way better than the 2D version. I'm pretty sure im gonna buy it ;)

3. ksl2006

ksl2006 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Gamer
    Planet Earth
    First 2D and 3D Brick Breaker Revolution, now 2D and 3D Rollercoasters..

4. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    The name Digital Chocolate has become synonomous with low frame rate 'cell phone' quality games.

5. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

to me dchoc means horrid controls

ala stunt car game and just about any other game from them, i'll check out the lite to make sure im not missing out

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Actually, California Gold Rush is pretty good...controls and all.

7. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

i skipped on that one, because I thought it would be bad. oh well I'll grab the lite of that game as well. :)

oh and congrats on your first front page story dude!

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Tower Bloxx has a great controls and good framerate. IT's very polished and fun. But other than that, like that jumping robot game, their games have terrible framerate and feels like a previous generation mobile games.

9. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Thanks!

Just played the through the lite of 3D Rollercoaster, and it's not bad. Basically you control the speed of the roller coaster with that gauge in the bottom corner. And you tilt to move forward and steer. I'm not sure if gets repetitive, but the framerate seems pretty good. Feel like Monster Truck Nitro except you're playing with people's lives on roller coasters.

10. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    yeah, agree with u

11. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
  12. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Not my kind of game really, but this sure looks a LOT better realised in 3D than 2D.

13. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Wow. I thought I was enjoying their games. Thanks for setting me straight.

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    He's just saying that all of DChoc's games are ports from older mobile games - they haven't really put out anything new. I like some of their games too, but more could be done to optimize their games for idevices

15. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I think he was saying a bit more then that. "The name Digital Chocolate has become synonymous with low frame rate 'cell phone' quality games." makes it sound like there is a generally accepted view that their games are awful.

I have only played a few of them (Tower Drop, Johnny Crash, Pyramid Blox?) but I found them all to have good graphics, good frame-rates, and fun gameplay.

The 99.9% of us who never heard of them of their games before we got an iPhone probably don't care that these games were first released on other platforms.

16. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    I am gonna check this out too! thanks again Albie!

17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Wow, STP just gave it a 4 out of 4 and Albie says it's good. I'm defininitely picking this one up! :D :cool: :D

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    CGR has a lot more depth that I anticipated, and it's works well for the platform. Btw, Digital Chocolate games all have load times in between levels which can be good or bad. In CGR's case, they're not too long.

19. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Actually, no, she pretty much hit the nail on the head. Every game is a port from the mobile version. With the mobile versions of most of their games, corners needed to be cut in order to enhance performance by doing such things like having less frames per animation and less fps per tween. This is because of the obvious reason that older mobile phones were less powerful than the iPhone. Nowadays, they enhanced some of their games thanks to new phones that enter the market, and the bar low. It would seem to me that DC idea of successful marketing is to have a game that works on EVERY platform, even the worst of the phones sold. I doubt this is the case, but it seems very likely. It would seem as though none of the games ported to the iPhone were optimized. So much more in way of graphical polish could've went into them. Don't get me wrong, most of their game ideas are awesome and I have a lot of their older games on my mobile phone, but I won't be caught dead playing some jaggy laggy direct port on my iPod Touch.