iPad 3D iPhone devs should look at Madworld to see how style can help your art.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Feb 28, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 arta, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Especially on a technically deficient system like the iPhone, or the Wii.

Imagine something like THAT on the appstore instead of these poor 3d vector lameware.

(hell, even some 2D devs needs to start hiring artists with style. Imagine how iDracula would have turned out if instead of the highly detailed handdrawn look it was some crappy Flash renderings?)

2. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    i agree. instead of trying to make it look like a console game and failing, do something stylish. black and white with little bits of color looks really cool.

3. xiao

xiao Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Totally agreed. I'm sick of seeing these feeble attempts at console graphics. Wouldn't you have a stylized, awesome looking game rather than a shitty looking boring clone of everything else but with pathetic, blocky graphics?

4. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Viewtiful Joe graphics.

5. xiao

xiao Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    And don't forget okami.

6. jupiter21

Jan 12, 2009
    or katamari damaci, kind of.

7. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    its true that there does need to be better artwork in games we see on the app store but dont go dissing all of the retro stuff. i personally love vector tanks. and light riders has a very nice look and its a remake of an old retro game. im not saying we need a ton more retro titles, infact i dont think we do, but i dont think theres anything wrong with them if theyre nice and polished.

8. jupiter21

Jan 12, 2009
    personally i prefer the Quest's graphics to most other 3d games on the ipod that i've played. it just looks much nicer.

9. Peter Hirschberg

Peter Hirschberg Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    "Imagine...instead of"
    "Imagine...instead of"
    "Imagine...instead of"

Dear sir, as the developer of Vector Tanks I officially thumb my nose at you.

Love,
    Peter Hirschberg

10. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You recognize that the iPhone is "technically deficient" but you're assuming a rendering style like MadWorld is somehow easier or less demanding than classic textured 3D polygons (it's not, by a long shot).

The iPhone has a fixed function pipeline (for now at least) and although you can get creative and do some sorts of cell shading it would be a feat to do what MadWorld does. The end result might look simplified with only 3 colors and all but the rendering technology and art required to pull that off is deceivingly difficult.

11. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    haha that game looks sweet...:D

12. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Pshh. Frank Miller did it with paper and ink. It's a fixed-function pipeline in my book. ;)

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Nah - ink is the ultimate pixel shader :p