3D Holographic Rendering on the iPhone -> Make it happen

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by geelet, Apr 18, 2009.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Pretty impressive, I'd pay for it as a proof of concept as well.

2. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Some facts:

- Mach (Kobayshi) was the first to do this on an iPhone. Others have made use of the idea, and Wordfu actually licensed it from Mach (who's been on these boards, and recently released BoomDice).

- David O'Reilly has admitted that it was a mock-up; no slanted tables, etc. However, as someone pointed out, the rumored (certainly true, coming this summer) new iPhone has the ability to detect absolute heading, which makes this possible in the next few months.

- People have created augmented reality for the iPhone, which may become more common with the new hardware this summer. See here for an example. This is probably the way to continue the trend.

If any devs are serious about implementing something in this direction, feel free to PM me to start a discussion, as I've spoken to some of the people involved in this idea and I'm happy to offer suggestions/ideas (I'm not a dev, but I'm always happy to help a good idea get even better!).

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hey whoever makes the cat demo I got a dollar for you, and I'm sure about 10,000 other people do to. Let's see it!!!

4. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
  5. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
  6. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Nice! Of course a lot of the real 3D effect seen on camera is lost in person--when you have two eyes that expect stereoscopic vision. But the rainbow holo effect is a nice touch!

7. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    yes, really nice! i thought about those real life holograms when i started this thread. seems someone allready made it :) good to see. in fact the ballerina looks incredible! virtually 3d :) great!

imagen a platform runner only in these rainbow colors, but 3d :D
    could be a nice game. and something very different from all others.

and thanks i didnt know motion dice updated with the thread thang, also didnt know kungfu and all those others use it allready. good to see somebody tries.

8. MachWerx

MachWerx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Hey, I'm the guy that did Mach Dice. As it happens, I'm working on a hologram app now and blogged a bit about it. It'll be a simple little app to add a bit of depth to your photos.

I can confirm pretty much everything that was mentioned in this thread. The original accelerometer doesn't detect compass orientation so you can't quite do an app that does the cat video thing, yet. Think of the accelerometer as an arrow that points down in the direction of gravity. If you turn your iPhone around that axis, the arrow doesn't move so you can't detect it. Still, the effect is pretty compelling even with just tilting in the other two axes.

Btw, what kind of features would people want to see in a hologram creation app? How important is the rainbow effect?

9. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    whats a "hologramm creation" app ?
    some app the creates hologramm on the fly?
    from what source? with what material?
    prerendered modable 3d objects?

well i think the rainbow effekt is somehow very important.
    if you look at the ballerina, it feels just like her foot comes out of the screen.

with textures it maybe wouldnt look like this.
    but im pretty sure its possible to create the "room like" effekt without rainbow.

but the rainbow makes those reall ife hologramm pictures im sure everybody knows about.