iPad 3D Chess 1.1 is really a masterpiece.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GoddessLove, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoddessLove

GoddessLove New Member

May 16, 2009
    #1 GoddessLove, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    3D Chess is really a masterpiece. Actually, the moment I play it, I am attracted by it. Just from the screenshot, I believe the developer have made painstaking effort. Really, the pictures are so fabulous, and the background music is so beautiful and powerful that I thought I was in the real war field. I like this feeling, which just makes me a hero! :p
    There are so many things attracting me. Just take the 3D effects for example, its realistic three-dimensional scene, models and pieces movement just turn an ordinary chess game into an enthralling sight and game. Moreover, it is not only an addictive game for fun, but it is also very professional and intelligent. If you want to win every time, you are kidding! I have been defeated several times by it.
    [​IMG]
    I am so lucky that now I finally get the update. It is quite satisfied. Now the UNDO button is added, which makes it very convenient for me to play! Besides, the castling is really perfect now. Also, pawn promotion can be chosen from 4 kinds of pieces, several times more than before! Not only that, the sound effect is also added for pawn promotion. What’s more, the player can choose to be any sides nowadays, but before, we have no choice at all. All piece models are fine-tuned, the attack action of bishop is amended, and the direction when pieces attack horizontally is adjusted, which makes the game much more real… Almost ten new things are added, which can not be said in one word! So you can imagine how excited I am! The moment I found it, I bought it without any hesitation. I have been dreaming about it for a long time!
    I do get much fun from it! Whenever I am free, I will play the game on my iPhone Touch. Whenever I win, I feel so happy that I even jump up! When I’m tied, I just listen to the background music. At that time, I feel so relax and so satisfied. This game is truly enjoyful!
    Well, there is nothing perfect in the world. So I am sure that there are still many improvements and great potential for this app. I hope that there are updates of 3D Chess all the time!
    [​IMG]

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

3. hello123

hello123 Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    this post seems written by the developer:confused:

4. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    LOL or his mother, sure is excited about it though.

5. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    From the post:
    From iTunes:
    Many more clues lead me to believe that this is most definitely the dev.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah it's a dev. Still gonna try it out though, I'll check to see if it's online.

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

I'd be wary... looks like the game's implementing the rules of the game via updates - which makes me think that the AI has been written from scratch; since it clearly wouldn't have understood castling or promotion for the first release at each. Chess AI is so far advanced now that coding this from scratch is almost certainly going to give an underwhelming performance.

Wonder if it handles en-passant yet?

And yeah, definitely a 'dev' review!

Jamie.

8. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I'm not an advanced chess player, but as far as aesthetic go, Deep Green is the masterpiece. I also think tChess is quite sharp looking. But Deep Green all the way!

9. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    This game really doesn't look that great. And it's difficult to see what's going, as well as to select pieces. And the game makes numerous errors regarding the rules of chess, although seemingly all player side; it let's the player make illegal moves, but the CPU doesn't make them. Still, a pretty poor effort. I wouldn't recommend it even if it did look good, which it doesn't.

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Not sure why the developer is trying to oversell this.. it is a 99 cent toy.. a chess game for beginners that like Battle Chess.. not for anyone that wants a real chess game like Deep Green 7.99. T Chess Pro 7.99 or Shredder Chess 9.99.

11. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Looks nicely made, I'm no good a chess :( If they has a checkers version of this I wouldnt mid forking out money for a checkers version

12. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Yeah... is there a problem with people just coming in to promote their game? It just seems disingenuous to pose as a buyer. Also, it sounds like it was translated from Chinese or another Asian language.

13. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    #13 mrkgoo, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    I think GoddessLove, along with several other 'fake accounts' were made solely to promote this app.

Exhibit A:
    GoddessLove has made only two posts, the other in this thread:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=245085#post245085, also about this game.

This isn't damning itself, but several other posters in that thread follow the same pattern of posting with only a single post history advocating this game, in 'translated English', and registration dates in May:

Hmmm.... Actually, I lie, Dorothy has made ONE other post -to start this thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=11401

Look or sound familiar?

Oh look, another poster in that thread with a single post count and a May join date:

You know what gives them away? They all have a title in the post (something few people do), as well as a post icon.

Hey, I'd love to be wrong, but until someone decides to own up or prove me otherwise, I find this disingenuous at best, and downright deceitful at worst.

Maybe Dorothy (and/or GoddessLove) is the developer (or associated), and this Abe/Abner/Abraham fellow is someone else (who uses the same post style).

Or Maybe I have it all wrong, but there is definitely something fishy going on.

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I've played this game and I've never beaten the computer - because the game in unplayable. You can't tell which piece is which, and I've been playing chess for 26 years. I didn't get far enough to find out about the move errors.

Tons of posters in this and the other thread with a +1 feedback saying how wonderful it is. Yeah right.

15. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    If it plays like battle chess I want it!

16. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    If there's anything I can say to dissuade you from getting this, please tell me :)

I wonder why there's no Lite version?! :p

17. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    That is obviously not true because I have played the game and beaten the computer..
    27 of the 37 ratings on iTunes are 5 stars of the new version.. it is just not for chess experts is all.

18. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I can't beat the computer because I can't do 3-4 moves before quitting in disgust at how bad the game is ;)

You can't see the pieces because they are so small. I use vector pieces instead of 3-D when I play on a screen that small.

19. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Most people know you can't win chess in 4 moves and your eyesight issues are not this games problem :p
    Seriously anyone can look at the screenshots and decide for themselves if the pieces are too small to play or not.. a bit like
    Simutrans.. if you don't want have to touch icons that small don't play it. :)

20. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    But you can't seriously think that the dev and his/her friends are not overhyping the game here. I say put a Lite out and let people decide for themselves :)