Apple Arcade

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by psj3809, Mar 26, 2019.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What do people think ? Could be a great move. No IAPs. Offline playing

I easily spend more than £10 a month on iOS games

My key thing is what happens when you stop subscribing. Presume you lose all the games as otherwise someone could sign up for one month and then download all ‘100’ games or how many there are

If I sign up and ‘dev A’ pulls his games as he’s not getting enough money from Apple I presume I lose them all?

Still I admit I’m tempted as I want premium games not the freemium hell ones

Exciting times ahead. Hope we still get premium priced games I can buy as well as surely Apple won’t say yes to every single dev out there. Sounds like this might be the cream if the crop only and not overcrowd it with average games

Ferulci likes this.
  2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I expect that it will be like Apple Music but you will have to download rather than stream the games. That would mean that you will have access to the games only while paying the subscription. I would be very surprised if Apple gives a dev the ability to pull the game from the service once it’s in there, though. At the very least, it should continue to be playable to anyone who has already downloaded it.

Apple is saying that the game will not be available in other “platforms or subscription services,” which doesn’t preclude them being available for straight-up sale in the App Store. Regardless, after Apple Music, I’m a convert to subscription services like this, especially if they provide a viable path to premium experiences on the platform. Looking forward to learning more about in the coming months.

3. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #3 JasonLL, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Could be very exciting times ahead for iOS gaming if Apple stays interested in the service which means making sure there are numerous titles to look forward to at all times. I just worry about a Apple gaming service once the luster wears off. We all know Apple can give a great presentation, a great first impression, although their follow through can be hit or miss.

I definitely will try out the service and hope for the best. Many have been saying subscription and service based gaming is the future and this could be a big first step for the iOS gaming platform.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  5. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Hope that after a certain time,they do appear in store because subscriptions are way too expensive

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah good point. I'll be happy to do this and then try all the games adn the ones i really want with my mild app OCD i'll buy it so then i'll always have it (until the 128 bit app-pocalypse in 2030 !).

Could be great, really hope it is. As someone whos moaned about freemium tons this is nearly exactly what i want. Just old skool games no IAP's or online crap. Just games games games

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really ? Its like the price of one premium game a month ! IF its $9.99 thats so cheap. in the UK it'll be £9.99 so its dearer.

But 9.99 is cheap !!! This is why we get so much freemium stuff, people faint at a 9.99 cost !

8. Ferulci

Ferulci Active Member

Nov 6, 2015
    More than excited as a player and a developer.

9. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am very excited. Looking forward to premium experiences on iOS, even if takes a monthly subscription. After all, games are my main hobby.

If things go right, we don't have to worry about new OS breaking games anymore and other annoying things. IF Apple does it right, of course. Imagine the possibilities of financial backing to dev high budget games that we can play anywhere.

10. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Probably the perks and issues as any other subscription service. They could yank certain games. OTOH, subscription services give the consumers some direct power. Any time service isn't up to snuff, you literally stop paying them. That should be a better incentive for those involved to "keep up with the Jones's". In the past, b/c devs weren't allowed charge for updates, they were highly incentivized to either:
    A) spend minimal time getting a game out. Don't count on much time in playtesting, nor hunting for bugs. They have "templates" to crank out clones as soon as possible. No updates b/c they need to move on to the next game to maximize profits.
    B) go freemium, make the game aggressive enough so that enough people sink money as the game is being played. I quit Plants Vs. Zombies: It's About Time about a year ago. For years (with 2 hiatuses), I had A LOT of fun with it. However, the grinding and IAP got so bad, that I also deleted the game out of sheer frustration and disgust. I'd gladly pay $10 a month if it meant not having to deal with all that bs.

Sounds like they may pull a Red Box where DVD rentals are $1 a day. If you keep it for more than 25 days, you've already paid for it by paying $25. However, I reckon for many of us, it's not worth buying unless you really want to watch the movie over and over again. I've had a blast with many iOS games over the years (admittedly, they were of the $1 to $10 variety. Not so much AAA). However, I don't think I'd mind if I no longer had access to them in the future, and otherwise didn't really "buy it" since the experience was enough for me.

11. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    When this service will be available?

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sure they said later this year. Reckon after the Apple event in September we'll hear a date or it'll be active once ios 13 is (eg a week or so after the show)