Universal Sky Duels (by Panopera)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by panopera, Dec 16, 2018.

1. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015
    #1 panopera, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

Sky Duels

Marek Vybiral
    FUN, YET NOT EASY Flying on your mobile device has never been more fun before. Classic arcade machine feeling in next le…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    FUN, YET NOT EASY Flying on your mobile device has never been more fun before. Classic arcade machine feeling in next level open world, reacting to your progress and actions. PICK YOUR BIRD Use collectables to unlock new aircrafts of your choice. The way of playing may change dramaticaly! FEATURES • natural controls • more than 20 aircrafts to play with • carefully crafted world • evolving and responsive environment • challenging bosses • and lots of fun for free
    Information
    Seller:Marek Vybiral
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Dec 16, 2018
    Updated:Mar 25, 2019
    Version:1.0.4
    Size:92.3 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Hello, our long expected touch aerial arcade is finally released. Should be available worldwide for free, so feel yourself invited to try out.

Until the AppInfo loads the game content, please follow direct link to iTunes store and have a look on attached media.
    And mostly: enjoy playing!

01x.png 04x.png 05x.png 03x.png

2. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Out of nothing better to do, I'm gonna try this. I like airplanes and simplistic 3D graphics...

panopera likes this.
  3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I like it. It’s an unapologetically simple game with sharp controls, enjoyable gameplay loop, and bright and attractive visuals. If I have any complaints it’s that it can often be difficult to distinguish between an environmental feature you can fly over and one that you’ll crash into — experience helps, of course, but I wish it wasn’t as trial and error.

The game is supported by optional ads for continues. Overall, I’d say it’s worth a download.

decript, sebgo and panopera like this.
  4. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

First impression: This game is quite fun!

Simple controls and pretty aesthetics, combined with fun simple gameplay and lots of aircraft to unlock.

One [POSITIVE] comparison I can make is with PAKO 2.

Good job!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’d say that’s a fair comparison.

6. abbstar

abbstar Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2018
    Great little game that looks awesome and is quite good to play.
    Controls well and is good for n to play

panopera likes this.
  7. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I’m liking this very much. Agreed on the PAKO vibe.

Does anyone know what the pentagons in the upper left signify? I’ve only played a few minutes and haven’t filled it up yet.
    I’m guessing that filling that is your only reason to want to continue via ad rather than restart.

panopera likes this.
  8. abbstar

abbstar Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2018
    So I’ve given this a bit of a go now.
    And I’m really enjoying it.
    Challenging. And as some have said it difficult to not know what to avoid, but you learn.
    Only managed to get 3 stars so far.
    But I’m dedicated to get the five stars cause I want to know what happens at five stars.
    Dude I’m sucked in now

9. feelnside

feelnside Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Belarus
    Wow, congratulations. The game really looks cool. I like the sound, overall picture. It looks really nice. A big thanks for the awesome camera movement! Great job!

panopera likes this.
  10. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015
    It is kind of a progress indicator showing current level. The world evolves and becomes more hostile for you to survive in, structures growing higher from the ground and you need to avoid collision, also other forces that comes later.

And thanks to all of you guys so far for playing; also it is nice to read how you are figuring out how to play and comparing our to game to PAKO is really an honor

feelnside likes this.
  11. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Well in that case there’s a bit more to this than I thought!
    Maybe I should have taken a bit more time reading the description; saw the recommendations and dived in.

What a great idea; this went into my 5 minute folder. I may have been hasty...

12. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    #12 boydstr, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Surprisingly fun game sound is real nice and the basic graphics are really a good choice I have some suggestions isn’t it possible to show the view of the world in the same way as the plain so your view is always in front of you because there are a lot of collisions because of this.Another great thing could be to slowdown speed and that you can shoot on things that block your flying path,there was a point that my plain was shooting a tower down,and when take things even further you could introduce a sort of war level to shoot war plains and take down tanks and other war machinery but with the same graphic style that you used now I can imagine that to implement these things is not that simple or preferable.I really like that the focus lies on gameplay instead of very high end graphics.I really like the feeling that you play in a “living” world with the moving ,,,and I downloaded the game to try it out because most of the AppStore “free”games are simplistic and most of the time a disappointment but without noticing it I played it for almost an hour and had a great gameplay experience and you proved to me that free games can be fun............so great job done and hope that others will enjoy the game as much as I did.

panopera likes this.
  13. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015
    You hit the nail with the camera rig. That was probably the most discussed thing trough the whole development process and we kept changing it there and back, trying different angles and positions, testing the attached way from behind the aircraft too. It really helps in a way you describe, but changes feeling of a game dramatically. Kind of similar situation with the building destruction, that we've had prototyped and tested, but did not include at the end. It was always about some compromises, what is possible, what would not make the controls too messy for mobile device (like additional slowdown), what makes the feeling closer to those old arcade machine games we like and tried to reach.

skyduels-3rd-person.gif

Anyway yeah such design decisions always came with sacrificing something else. And it is cool how you now came up with exactly the same points we've been figuring out and testing too. Thanks for valuable feedback and enjoying the game

boydstr likes this.
  14. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    #14 decript, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Really fun game with a cool take on the concept. Only gotten 4 stars so far. I also echo some of the other sentiments about determing if you’ll collide with the environment.
    Any differences between the planes like speed or fire rate? Sitting on a pile of gems to spend. Would like a plane that’s slower but hits harder so it’s easier to trail behind the bosses.

Couple of frustrations but I’m not sure how they could be addressed:
    -Bringing a boss down to low hp only for them to run into a building/mountain and then start over
    -Enemies suiciding by flying into my plane from angles that I can’t see far or react, e.g. from below (bottom of screen).

panopera likes this.
  15. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Thanks, there are significant differences (yeah it's not obvious and not visualized - just a design choice we went thru too). And exactly in what you expect: speed, agility, and firepower. It is mostly following real world models - well when it makes sense, sometimes is does not, it is still just a game and there will be surprises.

But like the fastest plane in reality is fastest here as well, or one being well known for insanely powerful cannon has an adequate cadence in the game (I would recommend you this one, with hint of being based on A-10), and so. Some aircrafts are equipped even with double cannon, this time mostly based on nothing real, anyway making a little difference in gameplay as well.

16. HEiRAVON

HEiRAVON Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    This Game is SO GOOOOOOD!

Love every aspect of it!

Such a cool creation!

Thx for sharing this!!!

panopera likes this.
  17. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Hello, first update just rolled out, containing necessary bug fixes and some mostly invisible tweaks with some visible visual improvements.
    Thanks to everyone staying tuned.

skyduels-nohud.png

---
    And unrelated, but funny thing also going on Android meanwhile.
    Official downloads are pretty low, as being visible just about two hundreds of player installed Sky Duels from Google Play, but we observe in analytics over 30k installations from non-google sources and crack/mod sites.

Probably expectable, but such a massive contrast surprised us. Is it that common? :)

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yep. Keep in mind that you have to jailbreak your device to pirate apps in iOS, and jailbreaking is nowhere near as popular today as it was a few years ago.

19. panopera

panopera Member

Dec 21, 2015

Looks like "Gamer Time Dad" enjoys playing SKY DUELS