Universal [Soft Launch PH] GALAK-Z: Variant Mobile (by GungHo/17-Bit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    #1 Boardumb, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    old soft launch thread​

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Was eagerly awaiting for this but wasn't expecting it to be free....at all.
    I'm hoping for a free to download and full unlock iap.
    Hopefully people with a PH account can shed some light? (A soft launch doesn't bode well for a full unlock iap of course)

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Don't see anything like that unfortunately. Has pretty much all the standard f2p stuff including multiple currencies, consumable IAP items, and your health is basically an energy system. That said, the game is fun as hell so far. Going to stick with it and hope the f2p stuff doesn't ruin it completely, but if you are absolutely against that sort of thing in any way then you'll probably just want to skip this one.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thank you very much.
    I'm not against f2p per se and I have fun with them in some cases...
    I was hoping for premium but...we will see.
    Glad to hear is lot of fun!!!

5. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #5 Saucepolicy, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    As a player of the original, I have to respectfully disagree with Boardumb's impressions.

This game is not the Galak-Z from other platforms, and it carries over very little of what made the original special. It's rife with odd design decisions. You start with the Galak-Z mech, (which didn't unlock until much later in the original) and it's not transformable; the fighter version is a separate ship you pick up later. Then there's the odd control scheme. To be fair, I got used to it, but it's difficult to manage thrust and attack simultaneously. It's also chock full of publisher Gung Ho's typical F2P nonsense - lots of timers, currencies, and obtuse menus.

There won't be a full-game unlock IAP. This game has clearly been built from the ground up to be freemium, there's no way to separate those systems from the core game. Even if you could, the resulting game would be a shell of the original. They even took out the roguelike/permadeath elements.

To anyone who played the original game and loved it, lower your expectations accordingly. For those who are new to the franchise, your mileage may vary.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    ^^ That’s ashame to hear. The original game is a classic. I knew the control system especially would be difficult to replicate on mobile. But I had hoped they’d still keep the meat of the game. Doesn’t sound like it.

7. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    the control scheme -move or attack- felt very awkward to me, my mech felt like a lumbering whale crashing on everything instead of a sword wielding agile built like its appearance implied. The graphics are good but there are better and premium dual stick shooters -which this isnt.

8. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    online only?

9. Xcxc

Xcxc Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Shame it is online only/ freemium. Hope they also have a premium/offline version.

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Finally got around to play this for about 3 hours.
    To say I'm supremely pissed would be a huge understatement.

Even more so because the actual gameplay part is well done and very fun....they could have rendered the original game with little modifications...instead they went for total freemium game with a glimpse of the original game thrown in...more in art than full gameplay.

No roguelike, no story, no randomization, no exploration, no real cutscenes....nothing.

It's basically Candy Crush Saga with different gameplay...and even if the gameplay is fun (when you actually are able to play) everything else is so full of freemium things it's so damn distracting.
    You collect things that need time to build up to have things that need time to install and currency to build...to get another currency....and so on.

Maybe good for everyone, but not my thing at all.

Too bad because I actually love the art and the controls.

11. AsgerJ

AsgerJ Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Did this just come out on the App Store?
    Would like to hear their story. Wasn’t it supposed to come out in 2016?

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA