3.0 Back-up problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    On XP it is in %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

I was so unforuntate and had a corrupted ipsw file. Apperntly Apple didn't find it necessary to check whether an archive is valid or not. iTunes tried to update with that corrupted file and voilá I had to completly restore. It took me two full hours to find the source of the error (unkown error 14, during/after the restore), with the friendly, but unfortunate not so competent Apple Support hotline.
    I advice everyone to check whether the downloaded file is acutally valid (just open it with any ZIP reading software you have and hit check or whatever).

I'm currently waiting for my restore to finish...

2. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    You saved yourself a bigger headache, imo.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #63 1337brian, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    I still need help, tried to let the iphone update all night last night, came back and nothing seemed to happen... stuck on the backup @ 50-60% or so...
    Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet?... :confused:

[EDIT] - Well I got 3.0 but at the expense of losing all my save games!....
    Oh well it at least kept my contacts, that's what I was mostly concerned about, now it gives me a reason to beat them again I guess....

4. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I have an iTouch, so maybe it's different, but it was stuck at around 25%, I canceled the sync, unhooked it, plugged it back in, and the backup went fine. :S

5. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    All apps removed :(

OK. After restoring the second time to my backup from this morning, I have... nothing :(
    Not one app was restored in those 4.5 hour sessions, not one video, not one song...
    I wonder what that $8!tty iTunes did...
    I'm now going to install the apps I want and the music and videos, etc......

6. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Crypton, do a restore from the normal interface, not the recovery mode. Restore to the last backup and it should bring you back to 3.0 with the apps you had on it before going back to 2.2.1

7. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    @VoodooVyper: I tried that. After I posted I did a sync and I got all my apps back, at least in their order I had them before, but it seems that I lost ALL my saved data... :(

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Two hours in standby and my battery is nearly dead. What is 3.0 doing behind the scenes? FML

9. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I don't have an iPhone, but maybe you were in an area where the signal strength was very low and it was struggling to get a signal?
    That usually wastes the battery on cell phones.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm happy to say even though the update erased EVERYTHING, all the features and apps work fine, except Isotope, which spikes now.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I was just around home this morning. I picked up my phone and it was burning up. I turned it off and plugged it in. I later turned it on again and within an hour my battery was half drained and my phone was really hot. I put it in airplane mode and the drain stopped. I am guessing it is a problem with push notifications, but I dunno. I can't live like this. I am going to try restoring OS 2.2.1 this weekend.

I just began every sentence with "I."

12. AClockworkSausage

AClockworkSausage Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Systems Analyst
    I'm having a problem with OS3 and backing up as well.
    Seems to have frozen at around 50% and doesn't seem to be moving.
    Will leave it in a while longer...