3.0 Back-up problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Jun 17, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I did all normal remedies such as rebooting etc. After the first back up hung, all backs up after that would remain at the animated pre-progress bar for about an hour, then go to about 2% and hang there for an hour.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    That's REALLY hard to understand, I hope I don't do something like it on accident D=

3. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    It makes sense, if you'd like I can reiterate any of the steps for you.

The most key thing that happened to me was I did a restore via the traditional method, after the restore was complete, it backed up. That back up must have overwrote my original backup file that was there before I even started with any of this. Hence, why I am having trouble restoring from that backup with 2.2.1 (because its a 3.0 back up)

4. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    OMFG.

I just ****ed up EVERYTHING.

I thought It would automatically back up since the back up I originally did didn't work. I was wrong. When I saw it said "Restoring", I quickly pulled the cable, but apparently it deletes stuff REALLY FAST. FML, my last back up was 4/21

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Bummer. I have not trusted my phone with any sensitive data since the non-stop crashes pre OS 2.1. I even move my backups out of the MobileSync folder so Time Machine will back them up, making incremental backups because most of them are corrupt anyway.

Sometimes Apple's methods are just as convoluted as the next guy's.

*Still backing up...

6. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #46 VoodooVyper, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    At least you have back ups that have dates. Every time I back my iPod up, it just overwrites the last back up... Meaning before today, I had only one back up even though it backs up every time I plug it in, which is at least once per day.

If I read yo correctly, it sounds like to tried to restore to 2.2.1 with a 3.0 back up and it failed when trying to restore.

You should try to restore from that most recent back up point. (Not by recovery mode)
    It should be successful, but will bring you back to 3.0.

7. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    i remember having to restore my phone multiple times per day on 2.0 b/c it kept freezing up (and loosing all of my pics, texts, and contacts because the backup files were "corrupt")... god that was awful- each restore would take HOURS to complete...

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Multiple times per day? Wow, mine would brick every few days. I was traveling a lot at the time too. I was always worried I would see the Apple of death while I was far away from iTunes.

9. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Yea, I finally wised up and figured out it was because I had too many apps on my phone... but even after I deleted most of the apps, I still had to restore frequently

10. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, I'm finally done. 10 hours later, 2 full restores and 3 half done failed restores. I now have 3.0 back on with half my saved games in the toilet and a supreme punch to my motivation and yearn to replay those titles.

So glad I paid $10 for this.

11. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    At the end of the day, patience is key. Starjim, by all means, let that thing back up for hours if it has to. I advise everyone to stay away from this restoring nonsense with 3.0.

12. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    #52 AaronAMV, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    All right, so what do I do now? I was just installing the update, it went off fine, but when trying to back up my iTouch it hangs at 25%. Should I just re-sync it and try again?

edit: i just canceled the backup, but it looks like all my apps are still on my iTouch and all my stuff was saved. coo'

13. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Yea, canceling the backup won't do anything except not save a backup for future reference. If you find that it won't backup completely, don't give up with it. Try letting it stay over night while backing up.

If, and only if, you have to, then restore to an earlier back up prior to installing 3.0.

14. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Question to VoodooVyper: Where did you find the copy of the fw 2.2.1 on your computer? Is yours a mac or pc? I'm trying to locate it on my pc. My "iphone system software update" folder is empty. It was located in the itunes folder inside a folder labeled "Various Artists". Also, do you know where the backup files are stored in the computer? I tried looking for it but can't find it. I'd like to backup the backup:) after all the scary stories in this post! Thanks in advance.

15. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    Heerenveen, The Netherlands
    where does itunes store your ipod backups?

16. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    On vista, I went to users/(your username)/AppData(it's a hidden folder, check your folder settings to show hidden folders)/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/

Just be sure your backing up to a point that was made BEFORE you downloaded 3.0, or else it you'll be left with a 2.2.1 empty iPod and will have to restore to 3.0 again.

What I'm questioning is, if people are posting other firmwares up for download on websites and such, then why can't the same be done with 3.0? It's the same type of file.

17. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Still backing up. It has only backed up 630 MB in 5 hours. What could possibly be taking so long?

18. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Thanks, I've found the fw files. However, where is the backup data stored?

19. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    On a mac;
    /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

If you are using Windows, I haven't a clue.

20. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Finished. A mere 7 and a half hour walk in the park.