3.0 Back-up problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Jun 17, 2009.

1. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Or just try to find it on the hardrive, with the built in search function, you know start>search... That was how I found my firmwares after needing to restore from jailbreak.

2. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, as I was typing a response, I got an error using the FW I dl'd and ofcourse had to hit the spacebar at the exact time the error came up so I wasn't able to see what it said.

3. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    ... you are having the worst luck with this :( - if you try putting it into recovery mode again, iTunes should recognize it again.

This may help as well - My roomate was having issues updating her iPod Touch as well and decided to downgrade back to 2.2.1 like i had done, but she ran into problems during the process and ended up restoring back to 3.0 - but this time it worked okay for her and the backup went through (took about 45 minutes) - other than trying that, I really dont know what else to tell you :confused: - hope you can get it all worked out

4. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I can't find the ispw file anywhere on my computer. The only relevant folder I found was in an AppleInc_ folder that had a "Update 3.0 for..." folder that was empty. I downloaded the 2.2.1 file from some site and it returned an error. I guess I will download another.

5. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #25 VoodooVyper, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    Ok, I tried again with another file and I believe the same error came up. It says "The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An uknown error occured. (20)"

Edit: I also found the directory where the updates get installed to, and the folder is empty? It's user/Appdata/Local/Apple/Apple Software Updates

Why would this be empty if I downloaded both 2.2.1 and 3.0 from iTunes on this same computer?

Edit: Nevermind I found it, it was my Roaming folder, not Local. Who woulda thunk. I'm gunna restart and try it with my own file.

6. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    If you want to see what the error was, I believe that if you right click your device there is an option to reset error messages so that you can try to recreate it.
    Other than that good luck getting it to work, it seems that apple is out to get you today.:rolleyes:

7. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #27 VoodooVyper, Jun 18, 2009
    Ok, I used my own FW file that I found, it worked. So now I must wait another 18 hours for this to finish. If by the end of the night, I end up with 3.0 and no saved games, you will no longer find me on TA, as I'll be in the hospital with iPod glass shards stuck in my head from ramming the pile of shit.
    Thanks for all the help so far guys and gals. It looks like I'm out of luck though. If this restore doesn't get my saves back, then I don't think there are anymore options left. I don't know why my backups would not give me my saved game profiles back. The auto-Backing up before syncing is the same as normally backing up, correct? It's been backed up by this method more times than I care to count, but when selecting my backup point, only one is there is "Mike's iPod" with no date. Is this normal?

8. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #28 VoodooVyper, Jun 18, 2009
    Goddamnit, I give up. This is ridiculous. I starts the restore, I picked my point and all that jazz. 15 minutes later it says that the file is corrupt or my iPod is not compatible... Mind you, this is the file I downloaded via update when it first was released....

Now I have an erase iPod with 2.2.1 FW and I can't restore.

9. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    To answer the last part I generally have about 5 or 6 options with one not having a date, to me all of your stuff seems pretty screwy.

I would just suggest getting a good night's rest or a long break and coming back to it later much more clear minded and ready to fix it up.

Best of luck,
    Alex

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Is that sarcasm or were posts deleted :confused:

I'm stuck at like 80% or so, this is bullpoo >=O

11. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Sarcasm.

12. worldcup1100

Feb 2, 2009
    I have gotten this message before and fixed it by using another firmware side two show up for me, your stuff sounds pretty corrupt and it may be best to find a new version online and try again with that.

I think I am going to bed now, but I'll try to help some more in the morning with the little knowledge I have.

13. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I began the install about 2 and a half hours ago and it is still backing up my current state. It is moving, just really slowly. Looks like maybe another hour of backing up to do. I wish I could just bypass this step because I am not that attached to my saved data. I have so much redundancy in my workflow as it is this step is totally unnecessary. Oh well.

14. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I restored from this back-up point the first time after installed 3.0. Then I went into recovery mode and chose 2.21 to restore to, but after picking this same point, a few minutes later it came back saying corrupt or incompatible. So I now have exited out of recovery mode and reconnected the iPod. It's wiped clean at this point and it says it has 2.2.1. I'm currently running the regular restore using the same chosen point and it seems to be going ok so far. It's about half way through the restore. If this is successful, I will let it re-sync all the games and such and then update to 3.0 again. I imagine I will run into about 53828 more problems along the way, though.

15. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Honestly, I wish I had done what you are doing now. I grew impatient with the backup status. It had been hanging at about 30% for almost 2.5 hours when I canceled it.

16. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Egh, so the restore just finished and looks like I have 3.0 again. I don't know how since I never made a back-up after 3.0 installed except for the restore point, which I made sure I did not select. Whatever, I don't even care if those few profile games aren't saved. This is getting on my nerves.

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Actually my install was not without hiccups. The first time I attempted to update, iTunes would error out of the backup process. Rebooting fixed that, though.

18. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Okay so tell me if I'm doing anything wrong to keep all my save files intact.

*I'm backing up with the version 2.2.1 right now
    *I'm going to do the restore update right after.

WILL my saves still be there from the restore?

19. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Yes, your saves and game data will still be there. Restore to factory
    settings then after that a screen will say restore to a clean device or from a backup. Choose backup and select the backup you want and off you go. To view backups, choose from iTunes: Edit> Preferences> Devices.

20. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #40 VoodooVyper, Jun 18, 2009
    I'll tell you what I did, so you don't recreate it.

-I backed up before dl'ing 3.0.
    -After downloading, the back up wouldn't finish so I canceled and tried a number of times again.
    -After failing, I then restored from the backup that I made before I downloaded 3.0 and that fixed the problem, but my saves were gone. (At this point I'm guessing a backup was done that overwrote the initial backup I restored from)

-I did not want this to be the case, so I then went into recovery mode and tried to restore from 2.2.1. Which told me it was incompatible with the backup restore point I chose (which is why I think the backup of the 3.0 was done)
    -I then exited recovery, and reconnected to iTunes via standard method. It told me I had 2.2.1 on there, but my iPod was wiped clean
    -I am now restoring to the very same restore point I did the first time (or so I thought), which has put 3.0 back on there, which further verifies I must've overwrote it.
    -At this point in time, it's currently syncing all the games from the restore point. I already know my profiled game saves won't be there as this restore was obviously post-3.0 install.

Key things to remember: DO NOT FORGET TO CANCEL THE BACKUP or you will lose your restore point from pre-3.0

I really would like to know why the games that use profiles didn't transfer.