3.0 Back-up problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Jun 17, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I purchased the 3.0 os for my 2nd Gen non-jailbroken iPod Touch. The update went fine, and after it did everything, I disconnected it as usual.

I recently got a game through iTunes so I hooked up my iPod to sync it, and it ran it's usual back-up routine. It reached about 20% and stayed there for almost an hour before I gave up and canceled it. I disconnected, restarted the iPod and my computer and tried again. Now it's hanging at the back-up status with the animated striped bar (before the actual back-up process) and has been for nearly a half hour.

Has anybody else experienced this? Did you find a solution?

2. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Ok so it passed the animated bad and went up to about 2% on the progress bar. I punched a hole in the screen and uninstalled iTunes. Reinstalled 8.2 and am now back at the animated bar. Question: does backing up the iPod require an internet connection? I imagine it does not, but iTunes Store is slow as hell and I was thinking maybe there was a tiny chance it was related. Probably not, though.

Anyways, I sit and wait yet again. If I click "Restore" underneath the "check for update" button, it says everything will be wiped and be restored to factory settings. How do I go about restoring everything that I had on there from the last back up? Will my game saves still be there as well?

3. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. I decided to restore my iPod. It's currently re-installing all the damn games I had on there. My saved game progress better be saved, I'll be quite upset if it isnt.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    your welcome!!! and your saved progresses should be saved if you keep the same profile or w/e

5. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I assume you mean choose the "restore from a backup" option? I chose mine, yes. Keeping my fingers crossed. It still has 3.0 installed so hopefully I'll be able to back up once all the shenanigans are done with.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I don't know. And you have been around long enough to know that if you really want responses, you "accidentally" post in the 'game releases' section. Some people will get in a huff but you will get answers too.

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    #7 wootbean, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    I think I have this problem too :(:( for me it's stuck about a third of the way through.
    edit: nvm, I canceled the sync and retried it.

8. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Ok, so it finally synced, but now a new problem, yay! iTunes says sync complete, but my iPod still says Sync in Progress and has for aobut 15 minutes now. I'd really just like my money back, this update has caused nothing but trouble.

9. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Re-synced it to fix the problem, but my saved games aren't there :mad:.
    Games that don't have profiles still have save progress, but games like Airport Mania and Bounce On lost the saved profiles:mad:
    Is there anyway to recover these?

10. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I don't understand, any game that used profiles to save progress had all profiles deleted. Any game that allowed you to save your status to save slots either retained the save data or didn't (some games kept it while others didn't). And any game that only allowed for one user saved all data.
    Why does every where I read say that all game progress is saved? Even the Apple support guy said they would. This is obviously not true. I got very far in most of the games that were deleted, and I really don't feel like playing them through from the beginning again.

11. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your difficulty. Could you try to go back to 2.2.1 firmware and try to reinstall the backup to the old firmware? Sounds like 3.0 is a mess. Today I bought a 16 gig touch from Walmart to use as a backup for my games. I have a 32 gig touch. Both are gen2, non jail broken with 2.2.1 firmware. I plugged in the 16 gig touch right out of the box and restored my backup from the 32 gig one to the 16 gig one. It took about an hour and a half to transfer all the games and saves to the new 16 gig one (9 app pages are alot:D). But I was relieved to see that my NFSU save, Galaxy on Fire save, and all other saves transferred to the new 16 gig touch!
    My plan is to buy a 3rd gen touch whenever it comes out (I assume that it'll have 3.0 firmware on it). I'll try my best not to mess up my two touches with 2.2.1 on them by going to 3.0. Sorry for the long winded post, but hopefully it can help you.:)

12. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    I don't know how to go back to an older FW. After the restore, I figured it would go back to 2.2.1. But it remained at 3.0.

13. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Can you try to erase all data and settings in the ipod touch options app in the touch itself? Will that restore you to 2.2.1? It'll be a bummer if you can't go back to 2.2.1! I suppose another option, albeit a pricey one, is to do what I did. Purchase another touch with 2.2.1 and restore the backup to that. It worked for me, as I have 2 touches with 2.2.1 and the same save data on each. Lots of luck to you on this one. Hope it all works out!:eek:

14. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    In order to restore back to 2.2.1, you'll need to put your phone in recovery mode.
    Open iTunes
    Plug your iphone into your computer and wait until iTunes recoginzes it
    Turn the phone off
    Hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds
    Release the power button while still pressing down on the home button
    Wait for iTunes to recognize your phone in recovery mode
    Once iTunes gives you the option to restore, hold down on the shift key and press "Restore"
    Select 2.2.1 from the list that shows up

This worked for me, so it should work for you as well - Hope that helps!

15. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    And all your game saves (including games that use profiles) remained?
    See, I think it's too late though. I already did a normal restore while on 3.0 and I lost my damn saves. I think if I do what you said, I'll just be at 2.2.1 again in the same spot without my saves. 3.0 is working now as far as backing up goes (I actually canceled it when I saw your message because now I don't know what to do).

16. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Eh I did this and am at the point where I shift + click restore and it opens up my documents. Where do I find this file?

17. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #17 jecebn, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    Mine was in a iTunes folder (which is what opened up when i clicked shift + restore)

And to answer your other question, as long as you have a current backup of your data (did you do this before you initially downloaded the 3.0 update?) - then you should get all of your game saves back

EDIT: if you can't find the 2.2.1 update in a folder on your computer, Im pretty sure you can find the file for download online, just do a google search for 2.2.1 iphone firmware download

18. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    The only iTunes folder I have is in my music folder. I'm using vista and an iPod Touch, not iPhone if it makes any difference.

The only relevant folder is "Previous iTunes Libraries" but the two files in there aren't recognized by the iTunes restore file selector.

19. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmm, not really sure... if you cant find it on your computer, try finding it for download online and you should be able to use that

20. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, while searching for it, the iPod disconnected itself?? :confused:

So now I sit here with my iPod connected to iTunes, not being recognized, with the Apple logo hanging there. :mad: