Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    NOOB: Is there anyway to skip the cut scene?

2. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, anyone still checking this thread to see if this game still had hope, looks pretty nil and the price drop is a good sign to that. As stated, GT Racing 2 is now officially out and it's pretty solid.

3. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I agree that it looks like this one is dying a slow death. Real shame as I like the driving the best in this game. GT racing 2 has proven to be a huge disappointment to me. It's very difficult to progress in that game and the pricing seems expensive like RR3. Those that do like GT2 seem to be the soft launch users that were able to establish themselves before the pricing change.

4. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Again: Is there anyway to skip the cut scene?

I think this one is better than RR3 and GT2 in terms of driving experience. I think I just take time and grind this one a bit.

Playing this on smaller device? Nah, not for me so sync thing is not my current concern.

5. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    If you are refering to the long cutscene before the helicopter event then the answer is no. The developer commented on this before and said that is some reason they can't make it skipable but they we looking at it. Since they have been quite and it seems the game is not selling as they hoped its unlikely they will fix that.

This one had some serious potential as it's got some great and realistic physics but it's a tough sell for mobile racers who are not experienced with realistic physics. They want a arcade racer.

I think the high initial price tag (with IAP), lack of cars, and reality check when people realized this took patience and some driving skill to play killed this one.

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the initial high price tag + the in-game currencies kills this. I really like serious racing game. Unfortunately, especially on mobile, the crowd is not large enough (look at Colin McRae Rally) to support such games.

Another noob question: there is a control option where the gas control has + and - signs on it. What does that do?

7. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    I believe that is the control scheme that gives you manual gear shifting. You shift by sliding your thumb up or down on the gas side of the screen. This game is the only one to offer this level of simulation control.

8. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    How is this on iPad 2? Graphics and performance are good?

9. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Is this game worth $1.99 on sale?

10. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Everyone has a different value system so to each their own with that, for me anything is worth a shot for a buck or two on the App Store. That said, the graphics are tremendously subpar to what gt racing and real racing are doing and as best as I can put it, if it was free, it still wouldn't stay on my device. It's not a horrible game but your better off playing one of the others and using that 1.99 as iap

11. wedge598

Aug 17, 2013
    This is the only racing game on iOS with a full physics model and as such it demands a lot of patience and respect for the different car characteristics. If you have played games like Forza, Gran Torismo and other racing simulations you may find this game gives you the most rewarding driving model on iOS. If you tend to favor Need for Speed and the Asphalt series you should probably spend your money elsewhere.

12. PhilNUK

PhilNUK New Member

Nov 30, 2012
    big update available for this... fixed all crashes and new cars and events have been added and a load of other alterations based on feedback

13. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden

Also, FULLSCREEN ADS. You know, those really annoying ones that popup just so you _will_ hit them, instead of that tiny x up in the corner to close'em, and be taken out of the game. Damn 2K, you suck. If a game doesn't do as well as expected, you swallow it and move on, indie or big company..

14. This game was destined that way from the start with its freemium structure.

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Very, very good post.

16. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Can someone e-mail 2k and ask to port motorcross mania 3 on ios, or tell me how to? That was a very god game in the past that I hope want to come back.

17. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    they said they couldnt do that yet because of some tecniqual issue , lol

18. Much better on an ipad 4 vs ipad 3, makes me wonder if they even put much time into the ipad 3 version. But at least enjoying it now.

19. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Wow!! Just picked this up in the sale and also because I knew they recently added MFi support. Honestly, having MFi with this game makes a pretty competent racer, similar to the likes of Forza an Gran Turismo. The physics do feel somewhat floaty, but then again I've only raced FWD mini cars so far and that's how they are in real life.

Graphics are lower res than what u get in Asphalt, RR3, and GT Racing 2. But, they aren't terrible by any means on the 5S and there's no just flat-out ugly textures. Back grounds actually seem to have gotten a lot of attention I noticed, whereas most cars could've been better....they should've ditched the cockpit view so they could make the models just that slight bit better.

Being the only simulation racer on iOS that supports MFi (no Asphalt doesn't count because it's not a sim), I HIGHLY recommend this. You'll thank yourself, and so will your controller :)

20. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, with an MFi analog, this game is (and will continue to be) the most relevant iOS sim racer you could ever dream of. I welcome the challenge. Suit up racers!